Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO MR Edition - death to me...but not easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Evos are not that fast. They run low 13's with a perfect launch, high 12's once in a blue moon under optimal conditions, and mid 13's most of the time. With a crappy launch (say from idle) they run high 13's, not impressive at all. The AWD launch is the only reason they are so quick through the 1/4 mile.

so whats the optimal conditions?
and if it wasn't an AWD it wouldnt' be an evo,it is was it is and it runs what it runs.By the way seems there are plenty running high 12's stock since everybody knows that.also I would say its the evo 9 not the 8 that runs it that quick,since there is a diffrence between the 2. I think a 13 is impressive for a factory 4 banger ,but thats just me.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

How much hp and tq does the 350 have in the 98 silveradoes? I though they were around 300ish.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000 SILVERADO
Sorry I hurt you feels because I wanted to know what mods you had. And it's obvious you posted just to start a fight.

You posted a kill and then said you had a truck, you have no mods listed at first so people thought you were dumb and making it up.

Put ur mods in a sig so people dont have to secound geuss you, I thought it was a BS post.

But then you posted you had heads,cammed etc and a bunch of other mods that makes it a whole diff story now..

I love silverados there nice trucks and look mean...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Evos are not that fast. They run low 13's with a perfect launch, high 12's once in a blue moon under optimal conditions, and mid 13's most of the time. With a crappy launch (say from idle) they run high 13's, not impressive at all. The AWD launch is the only reason they are so quick through the 1/4 mile.

Then your calling stock Fbodys slow, LS1s do low 13s high 12s stock and so does a evo. So how does that make a evo a slow" car?

I hope you under stand a Fbody with DRs will pretty much launch with a evo, Awd isnt that great and can only 60foot so much.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

that stock one here was very strong in the 1/8 mile, then fell off hard the last 1/8. the owner said it was something to do with the factory boost settings. he ran 8.0x @ 85 in the 1/8 with a 1.77 short time. i thought that was DAMN impressive. of course this dude can drive and made MANY passes. he actually needed a little SPIN off the line to keep moving. that car in stock form bogged pretty bad when it hooked hard. he was on snow tires, too, heh.

evos are impressive. those who disagree need to make their way back down to earth.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
He speeds up to take my lane since its a three-lane and a red light is coming up (his lane and the right-hand lane have cars in them). I quickly give the uh-uh mash on the throttle. He downshifts and mashes it, but I've got the jump - so he has to back off

At the next light, we take off side-by-side and I guess he got a really bad start. All the articles say these things get 0-60 in 4.5 sec. or so. Well, we went through 1st gear together and chirped the wheels from 1st to 2nd shift at exactly the same time.

2-3 he got a fender on me, but not more than that

Then 3-4 shift, I'm out of gears at that point (A4) but we were well into the 90-110 range and he wound up with about a length to length/1.5 on me. He hits the hazards and that's it.

Funny thing, I pulled up beside him and said, "great job, you killed a 1993 4600lb extended cab pickup truck with its windows rolled down!!" - ha ha

So I'm convinced now to get the longtube headers and put the E-Fans on - that should make the next time we meet quite a bit more interesting.

I didn't realize a slight loss to an Evo would hurt so many vagina's on this board no less. Nice truck man!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Put almost whatever STOCK EVO you'd like against this truck....12.53@106

http://video.ls1tech.com/category/Ro...312A92226C.htm
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

So stock racing modded cars now? Why is there even a argument here?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slick1851
You posted a kill and then said you had a truck, you have no mods listed at first so people thought you were dumb and making it up.

Put ur mods in a sig so people dont have to secound geuss you, I thought it was a BS post.

But then you posted you had heads,cammed etc and a bunch of other mods that makes it a whole diff story now..

I love silverados there nice trucks and look mean...
Hey - you guys have true sports cars and when someone lines up against you at a light, they think one or more of only a few things:
" , that thing looks/sounds fast"
"Another kid with too much money from Dad"
"Dude, I wish I had that guy's job (and car)"

When you guys take off from the light, they think one or more of a few things:
"Dude, that's fast"
"Dude, why are you driving like a grandma when you have something like that"
"Haha, that guy thought he was fast until I smoked him"

Having said this, some guys in trucks aren't always quick to fess up to what they've got. I mean come on, that's why most guys in Mustang GTs wound up getting killed running against me and how I bate them. Having said that, I did not mean to bate you guys, that's why when asked I gave all the proof I had available (including offering the HP Calc website). Its all about playing with the toys you have and you guys even talk about not admitting to another guy when you have NOS - and that's out on the road, not here at our forum. Some might call that BS - not me since "you run what you brung".

Heck, when I pull up besides someone, they don't ask what kinds of mods I've got - they just think - "Great, another truck with a catback"

I love what BORN2LOSE just posted - that was great!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

So stock racing modded cars now? Why is there even a argument here?
Dude, just showing that trucks don't always mean slow - slick1851, I'm sure your a cool dude - I'm not trying to start anything. Man, just showing what others are talking about - EVOs going into the 12s. Just adding that so can trucks.

I only mentioned "STOCK EVO" cause I'm sure there are others with modded EVOs ready to come back with "not mine!!!"
Old 06-06-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

I have a couple questions. Its probably the evo 8's, but whenever I read articles(i know, i know) it puts them mid to high 13's in the 1/4. Also, I am @ the track fairly frequently and they are usually running mid to high 13's. Is it just the evo9 that can run low 13's/high 12's?? Also, what is the difference between an evo8 and an evo9???
Old 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
I have a couple questions. Its probably the evo 8's, but whenever I read articles(i know, i know) it puts them mid to high 13's in the 1/4. Also, I am @ the track fairly frequently and they are usually running mid to high 13's. Is it just the evo9 that can run low 13's/high 12's?? Also, what is the difference between an evo8 and an evo9???
My copy of Road and Track has the IX at 13.3@105.9 stock. I dunno what the diff between the VIII and IX is.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
The magazines usually dont get good numbers because they dont get good launches. It takes practice to launch them good. The newer ones also have a 5K launch limiter which hurts them as the best launch is done at 5500-6000. You can easily remove it with the flick of a switch but they dont.

I have only seen a couple Evo VIII's run 12.9's and those where the '05's which had a little more power. A '06 IX however can run a high 12 fairly easy and most are trapping 105-107.

The difference has to do with the new Mivec head and a better turbo in the IX. They are only rated a couple horsepower higher but in fact are dynoing as much as 20whp higher.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
LS7 Member

The evo 9's have a larger compressor housing and the mivec head. This is why they make more power.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I give up. 93chevext5.7l I'll be sure to never respond to any of your threads again. I tried to apologize, but it seems you're too upset to except it! So have a nice day!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

Then your calling stock Fbodys slow, LS1s do low 13s high 12s stock and so does a evo. So how does that make a evo a slow" car?

I hope you under stand a Fbody with DRs will pretty much launch with a evo, Awd isnt that great and can only 60foot so much.
Did I say they were "slow"?? No, I didn't, I just said they "weren't that fast". Meaning they aren't nearly as fast as their 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers suggest. They only run low 13's with a hard launch - if you launch them normally, they will run high 13's. Its not pure power thats getting them down the track in 13 seconds, its the hard AWD luanch that does it. hence the reason VIII's only trap at about 102 MPH.

Drive both an LS1 and an Evo, the LS1 will feel a hell of a lot faster, because it really is.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
Dude, just showing that trucks don't always mean slow - slick1851, I'm sure your a cool dude - I'm not trying to start anything. Man, just showing what others are talking about - EVOs going into the 12s. Just adding that so can trucks.

I only mentioned "STOCK EVO" cause I'm sure there are others with modded EVOs ready to come back with "not mine!!!"

I dont know why you guys think im tlaking bad about trucks or anything like that, hell im dieing to get my hands on a turbo deisal but there not really cheap and that would be somthing to do in the future...

Im on the forum were most of the LS1 truck guys are on, I almost bit the bullet and sold my dsm for a down payment on a lighting but im not at a good point right now to make payments on anything.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Did I say they were "slow"?? No, I didn't, I just said they "weren't that fast". Meaning they aren't nearly as fast as their 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers suggest. They only run low 13's with a hard launch - if you launch them normally, they will run high 13's. Its not pure power thats getting them down the track in 13 seconds, its the hard AWD luanch that does it. hence the reason VIII's only trap at about 102 MPH.

Drive both an LS1 and an Evo, the LS1 will feel a hell of a lot faster, because it really is.

I have, my freind has a 02 ws6 and he lets me drive it. Turbo cars feel faster because of the sudden rush in boost.

LS1 has a much much smoother power band, please lets not even go any farther because it seems like your looking for a fight or somthing.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Like I said in my post very clearys, there wasnt a mod list so duh a stock turck isnt fast.

But then I found out its was a HEAN N CAM turck etc, they MOVE lol sorry for confusion.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:56 AM
LS7 Member

If you are "racing" an evo from a dig and he doesn't rev up really high, he isn't racing... (or he doesn't understand his car )