Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO MR Edition - death to me...but not easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coworkers grandson has an 06 evo, is there only one kind of a few different models? I caught him on a highway once, but when traffic finally let off I had to turn. Im just wondering if every 06 evo is capable of high 12's, or just a certain special edition or something?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
Dude, just showing that trucks don't always mean slow - slick1851, I'm sure your a cool dude - I'm not trying to start anything. Man, just showing what others are talking about - EVOs going into the 12s. Just adding that so can trucks.

I only mentioned "STOCK EVO" cause I'm sure there are others with modded EVOs ready to come back with "not mine!!!"

Stop contradicting yourself. One hand you say evos are not that fast, but then you give your truck props for not being slow. But you still lost.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Did I say they were "slow"?? No, I didn't, I just said they "weren't that fast". Meaning they aren't nearly as fast as their 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers suggest. They only run low 13's with a hard launch - if you launch them normally, they will run high 13's. Its not pure power thats getting them down the track in 13 seconds, its the hard AWD luanch that does it. hence the reason VIII's only trap at about 102 MPH.

Drive both an LS1 and an Evo, the LS1 will feel a hell of a lot faster, because it really is.

Its called torque. Torque sometimes can make you feel faster than what your actually going.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 25psi
Stop contradicting yourself. One hand you say evos are not that fast, but then you give your truck props for not being slow. But you still lost.

Finally someone who understands.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Dude - work on your 5th grade reading comprehension - I would not have posted the death if I thought they were slow. Duh - I think my truck is fast - for a truck and there appears to be a couple here that agree. What I'm saying is there are trucks that do 12s with a few mods as well.

If I thought they were slow I wouldn't have sent an "invitation" to this guy to race.....dork
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
My coworkers grandson has an 06 evo, is there only one kind of a few different models? I caught him on a highway once, but when traffic finally let off I had to turn. Im just wondering if every 06 evo is capable of high 12's, or just a certain special edition or something?
They all have the same powr level. The RS is the fastest just because it is the lightest. Then the GSR because its a 5-spd. The MR is the slowest because it has about the same weight as the GSR but you have to shift an extra time cause of the 6-spd. They are all capable of a high 12 though with a good driver.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice death

No shame...I rode in a stock 06 MR IX a few weeks ago...I was very impressed.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Evos are not that fast. They run low 13's with a perfect launch, high 12's once in a blue moon under optimal conditions, and mid 13's most of the time. With a crappy launch (say from idle) they run high 13's, not impressive at all. The AWD launch is the only reason they are so quick through the 1/4 mile.

Im not going to argue that EVOs arent that fast stock because they arent. However the 2006's arent blue moon 12's. Theres been numerous guys hitting 12.9s with them and many hit 12s with just a catback. More than I would have thought anyway.

Oh yeah, what do F-bodies run in the 1/4 with a crappy launch?

Last edited by Electric; 06-08-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DocEwww
Nice death

No shame...I rode in a stock 06 MR IX a few weeks ago...I was very impressed.
Drew, whose IX u ride in?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIevo
They all have the same powr level. The RS is the fastest just because it is the lightest. Then the GSR because its a 5-spd. The MR is the slowest because it has about the same weight as the GSR but you have to shift an extra time cause of the 6-spd. They are all capable of a high 12 though with a good driver.
Well, in the US, this is true - but not overall. The UK version is definitely not the same power levels.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=68819

No disrespect meant NIevo, but that things is scarrrrryyyyy fast!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Electric

well i guess it just depends on how bad the launch is, if you spin through third probably somewhere in the 15s maybe 16s. but with a bog i still go 13.6s, tourque is forgiving.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Im not going to argue that EVOs arent that fast stock because they arent. However the 2006's arent blue moon 12's. Theres been numerous guys hitting 12.9s with them and many hit 12s with just a catback. More than I would have thought anyway.

I see you're trying to be a wiseass, but ironically you've failed.

LS1's don't need 6,000RPM clutch drops in order to run low 13's. Hell, you can ease off from idle and still run a high 13. Its called low end torque, something you 4 banger guys don't have a clue about

I also don't care about any Evos running 12.9's with "just a catback". I was talking about stock, and very, very few run high 12's stock.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I see you're trying to be a wiseass, but ironically you've failed.

LS1's don't need 6,000RPM clutch drops in order to run low 13's. Hell, you can ease off from idle and still run a high 13. Its called low end torque, something you 4 banger guys don't have a clue about

I also don't care about any Evos running 12.9's with "just a catback". I was talking about stock, and very, very few run high 12's stock.
Actually I wasnt, I was just making a point that Fbodies dont run their best times without a launch either. You said Fbodies can run a high 13 with easing off the line... and then crack on the EVO for only being able to run a high 13 without a big launch?

Also, there is a stock limiter on EVOs at 5000rpm, so you cant launch any higher than 5000 unless youve been flashed.

I have plenty of clue about low end torque actually as Im not a pro-import domestic basher who doesnt understand how things work. I guess Im not the import owner stereotype youve picked me out to be. My car makes pretty good low end for what 4cyl turbo and Im more than satisfied with it. If i wanted some low end torque Id go by a turbo diesel stump puller.

BTW, I was talking about stock EVOs running 12s, not just ones with catbacks. It's actually becoming not so crazy to happen on the 2006s. The 2003-2004s I dont think its ever happened but on the 2006 there has been numerous already so its not a big phenomenon. Oh and who cares about that because who leaves an F-body or an EVO stock? 5%?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Teching In

03-04 EVO 8 running high 12's is nearly impossible, 05 Evo 8 running high 12's stock is once in a blue moon.

But 06 Evo 9 running high 12's completely stock easily possible as long as you crack 1.9 or better 60feet. I have seen it done before and many on the evo forums have posted there stock times to prove it. They are stronger mostly because of bit better turbo and Mivec tech.

High 11's are done with just turboback, MBC, Flash. higher octane

No BS
Old 06-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by errelevant
03-04 EVO 8 running high 12's is nearly impossible, 05 Evo 8 running high 12's stock is once in a blue moon.

But 06 Evo 9 running high 12's completely stock easily possible as long as you crack 1.9 or better 60feet. I have seen it done before and many on the evo forums have posted there stock times to prove it. They are stronger mostly because of bit better turbo and Mivec tech.

High 11's are done with just turboback, MBC, Flash. higher octane

No BS
Thats basically what I just said lol. 2 guys I know of already went 11s without high octane with those mods.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Teching In

yeah I have a friend that ran 12.7 @ 109 just with catback exhaust on pump gas with his EVO 9.

It's possible to run 11's because they do about 330-350 to the wheels with Turboback, MBC, flash on pump and +20 ~30 more hp on race gas. AWD + 3150 curb weight makes it very possible.

Last edited by errelevant; 06-23-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Torque sometimes can make you feel faster than what your actually going.
How can torque "sometimes make you feel faster than what you're actually going"? My big block inspired Iroc averages mid 10's, with a relatively low trap speed, if this is what you're referring to. Despite the low trap... it's the torque that's getting me those times. It doesn't simply make the car "feel" faster, it underlines it.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Drew, whose IX u ride in?
It was Cole's from York. Sorry i missed ur question Tom.

Tom's stock turbo'd 05 ran dead even with my Trans Am up to 140ish ( I was N/A and b4 heads)BTW....from a roll. I ****** love those cars...if I could afford a IX and didnt already have a daily driver, I'd have one.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
How can torque "sometimes make you feel faster than what you're actually going"?
Ever ride in a stock STi?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Its hard to tell how fast a car is by feel. If anyone has ridden in say a 1.8T A4 or Jetta or Golf, then they know what I mean. The car has a great slug of torque right at like 2000RPM. For what it is, its a lot of torque. Feels like the thing is taking off. But the power band is pretty low. You dont make any of that torque high up. So you have to shift a lot to keep it on boil. So while everytime you get back into it you feel a decent shove, your not actually very fast at all. Much slower than say a S2000. The S2000 does not have that slug of torque. It has like a spitwad of torque. But it pulls for a long time. So it does not feel faster than a 1.8T (IMHO) but it is.

The real solution of course is to make a lot of torque for a long time through the rev band. Hello free-breathing high bore V8 This is why a lot of those big blocks are so damn mean. A lot of them rev effectively to like 7500 making torque and then HP all the way up. They make nasty power and torque from like 2K. So not only is there a huge shove, the shove happens for a long time.