Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First street race from a dig since Dallas in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First street race from a dig since Dallas in 2002

In the Turbo Buick again, caught a light with a Forrester XT on my left and (1986?) two tone white and grey C4 Corvette automatic on my right. Cool- old school mid 80's muscle against a late model quick but ugly turbocharged grocery getter...

The light goes green and I take off slowly not wanting to race from a stop with my 225 60 Z rated yokohama street tires (read: zero traction). I flash up the converter after sitting at idle, with 1/3 throttle. Then the Forrester takes off followed by the vette scratching his tires. So it is on. I floor it to get full boost and back off to 3/4 throttle but I'm spinning with both cars in front of me dead even and I'm at their back bumpers. I feather it some more and I pull to their quarter panels. Meanwhile the vette is hearing me whine the turbo out and flutter the boost back through the turbo as I'm on and off the throttle, trying to keep up...

Then at 45-55 mph I get pissed because I'm staying even with them, but behind, by just being in and out of the gas. I gave up trying and simply stabbed the gas letting the engine downshift and tach out to 6000 rpm roasting the rears for a second. They only stayed in it to about 70 mph. The vette edged out the Forrester XT by a hair and I came in third.

The XT kept going but me and the vette just hung around for a while cruising the speed limit. Then the vette pulls up next to me and I gave him the thumbs up. Then he falls back 5-6 car lengths. Hmmm, should I do a 50 mph burnout? I think so. So I foot brake while simultaneously bringing up the boost so I don't slow down but rather begin lighting em up until I start getting a little sideways and let off. As I turn left to get some food, the vette driver gives a friendly honk and off he went.

The Buick

I'm going out to slap on the M/T ET Drags and throw in a tank of 118 octane fuel and crank up the boost...

Last edited by LC2nLS6; 06-06-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet car, awesome write-up. NICE RUN!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty damn crazy, all that power just tearing those helpless tires to pieces! gotta be fun.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LastLT1
pretty damn crazy, all that power just tearing those helpless tires to pieces! gotta be fun.
It's fun, but I was hoping for some traction. I'm only running 18 psi boost on pump gas with 16.5 degrees timing on the street. Perhaps a pair of 255 M/T DR's should be ordered...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Their on backorder from summit, im still waiting for mine - they're even the same size, 255-60-15