Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

speed contest?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEll our cars are a dime a dozen! It could of been another Fbody. If he did not visually see a tag, I would think it was contestable.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 157mpHourly
Take that sh*t to court.... the officers story will not hold up in front of the judge... Heck, in most cases the officer never shows up for court anyway.
Does it matter that he had a partner? Does that change the odds to 2-1 in there favor. And they change the laws in CA, the cops do not have to show up to court any more.

Another question, what are the penaltys for speed contest. Is it a speeding ticket, do I loose my licenses, do I get more fees other than the inpound?

Any info will help, thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

California is strict man I was stationed there for a while.. Your best bet is to get a lawyer. The Bottle dropped your chances of winning any argument a whole **** ton. If you have a buddy who has track receipts or tickets from the same night with a similar looking car I would use those and say you were heading to and from the track. Your best bet this point out is to get a lawyer.. Your not going to win without one.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Teching In

jw, was the "so much going on in rocklin/roseville area" anywhere on sunset strip, by the mall??? where was it?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by STILL 2 SLOW

Another question, what are the penaltys for speed contest. Is it a speeding ticket, do I loose my licenses, do I get more fees other than the inpound?

Any info will help, thanks
I got fined $1400 and 15 days community service in San Diego county. Car didn't get impounded cause it looked like a wreck. Also, the DA can review the case and decide to ADD charges against you, he charged me with wreckless driving and speed contest after reviewing the case. That is when I decided I needed a lawyer, who got the wreckless driving charge dropped, the speed contest lowered to a speeding infraction on my dmv record, and got my community service dropped. I don't think you'll lose your license unless you are over the point count allowed per time allowed. That's what screwed me, had 3 points for a DUI + accident 11 months earlier, then just the simple speeding gave me 4 points within 12 months, suspending my license for 6 months, gg.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be easy to get out of, assuming you were polite and cooperative with the cop.

1) F-Bodies are very common cars...could have been anyone.
2) The bottle could have been left on by mistake after running at the track.
3) Where are the radar readings?
4) Where is the video showing you doing the racing?
5) He didn't actually catch you in the act, and actually LOST SIGHT OF YOU FOR 15 MINUTES....

you could have just not known where you were going, and been following the guys who were doing the racing....you shouldn't be held responsible for someone you were following, if they happen to decide to race in front of you....just be careful and tell them that you just met the guys, and don't really know them all that well

just get a lawyer, cause this won't be easy to get out of on your own...it may suck to have to pay the lawyer's fees, but it would suck even more to possibly lose your license, and not to mention the insane raise in insurance that this would cause....
Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
I don't think you'll lose your license unless you are over the point count allowed per time allowed. That's what screwed me, had 3 points for a DUI + accident 11 months earlier, then just the simple speeding gave me 4 points within 12 months, suspending my license for 6 months, gg.
Well right now I dont have any pionts on my record so I dont think I will lose my license. But with the impound fees being over the 1500 range I am not going to have the money for a layer, but they will give me a public defender. Does any one have any experience with public defenders, or should I front more money for a layer?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
This should be easy to get out of, assuming you were polite and cooperative with the cop.

1) F-Bodies are very common cars...could have been anyone.
2) The bottle could have been left on by mistake after running at the track.
3) Where are the radar readings?
4) Where is the video showing you doing the racing?
5) He didn't actually catch you in the act, and actually LOST SIGHT OF YOU FOR 15 MINUTES....
I was polite and cooperative to the cop, even thow he wasnt listening to what I was telling him. If I fight the charge am I going to see what the dash cam recorded. (That is if he had one) What I mean is do I get to see what they have against me, so I have a chance to fight it? Also a friend told me that they cant charge me with speed contest unless I was speeding? Is that true, or just bs. I dont think he shot me with radar but if he did I am sure I was not speeding.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 157mpHourly
Take that sh*t to court.... the officers story will not hold up in front of the judge... Heck, in most cases the officer never shows up for court anyway.
+1, -1 . yes take it to court. good chance he wont show. then again the cop knows its a serious ticket and will not blow it off. hope that he's busy that day. USUALLY a cops word in court is taken very seriously. you have a nasty equation here with MANY varables and a few ifs. your gonna pay dearly either way. just plan on worst case happening and decide who you would rather see your money go to (county court or lawyer)< sounds about the same minus insurance raping. I usually go on my own for plea bargains on lesser charges. you my friend need to LIE, DENY, DEMAND PROOF! good luck
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Its a misdemeanor, 2 points, 600 bucks, 20 days community service, 3 years probation.

Fight it and use the other people that were also caught as witnesses. You guys should get off the hook considering there is other witnesses.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX
Its a misdemeanor, 2 points, 600 bucks, 20 days community service, 3 years probation.
I was talking to some guys I know that have gotten busted for street racing about six months ago. he pleded guilty and got 2 points and a 1,300 ticket and a 100 court fee. He only pays 140 a month for the ticket, that is not too bad in that context. The only thing that is going to suck is my insurance.

And the other guy got a layer and fought it and it got droped to a 100 fine and a speeding ticket that he took trafic school for. The only thing is the layer he used was a friend of his familys and he only charged him 100 bucks.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

this is why i hate california.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STILL 2 SLOW
I was talking to some guys I know that have gotten busted for street racing about six months ago. he pleded guilty and got 2 points and a 1,300 ticket and a 100 court fee. He only pays 140 a month for the ticket, that is not too bad in that context. The only thing that is going to suck is my insurance.

And the other guy got a layer and fought it and it got droped to a 100 fine and a speeding ticket that he took trafic school for. The only thing is the layer he used was a friend of his familys and he only charged him 100 bucks.
I had 2 and they gave me a deal to plea for one and they would dismiss the other.

The guy I got caught with, got it reduced down to a speeding ticket. I would have gotten it dismissed if I had only one. Oh well.

Fight it though. He did NOT see your plates. Just have your friends back you up in court. That should be more then enough to at least get it reduced.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

i'm pretty sure that your allowed to see the evidence against you just so it's fair. Remember it may be California but just like the rest of the country we gotta be fair. So i'm 99.99% sure you get to see his dashboard camera footage. Innocent till proven guilty. Like was said before nitrous got left on accidently. YOU have witnesses the cop doesn't except for his dash cam which might not have gotten anything at all. I don't know if you can do this but get the record for the cop see if he's got anything on his department record that could prove that he's lied before or something like that you can use against him. Your looking at some serious **** time to fight tooth and nail. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Dare I say it but SVTP has a section where you can ask cops questions you might want to join just so you can post it there very friendly. Is it illegal to have the nitrous turned on while driving as long as you arent spraying?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67maro
Is it illegal to have the nitrous turned on while driving as long as you arent spraying?
The cop said that it is illegal to have it in the car. It doesnt matter if it was on, off, or in use. Any way if I was spraying the cop wouldnt have even seen my car, it would have just been a big blur.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Well just incase anyone was curious, he ended up getting a lawyer to go to court for him. When the lawyer showed up he waited around for the court time to come, well it came and went and they never called him up. The lawyer then went to the clerk and had them check the system. . . . No records found.

Needless to say this was good news to hear after everything that developed with the passenger being a jerk and all. The lawyer said not to get too excited but he will check the clerk over the next couple weeks to see if it just got processed late.

But to make a seemingly good situation worse, he thought all he would have to pay was the impound fee which in retrospect the 1552 for impound was nothing to the ticket which was 2500ish + court fees, state ref and all. Come this wednesday he gets a notice in the mail from his bank saying they are reposessing his car . What they said is that the notice they got of the impound is that if not picked up it would be sold, however they didnt get notified the car had to be in untill the 21 before he could pick it up. So now the 1552 impound fee, which the bank payed 1236 (since they took it out early) turns to 1900+ for repo fees and other crap they added.

All in all if all he has to pay is 1900 he is still on the happier side for some obvious reasons.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Also he has to make sure that the repo doesnt go on his credit. Although it shouldn't since they didnt take the car back they were just protecting there investment right?