Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 guys.... do we stack up to Evo VIII???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blow off valves...

LOL.

You''ll beat him if those are his mods and you have some sticky tires.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off, a 3200 stall would be perfect for a 224/224. High enough to launch well. As far as Evo's vs. LS1's, I'd say they're evenly matched. Back when I was stock (somehow, I still remember back that far) I raced 3 or 4 stock Evo's and pulled them top end. Off the line, I kept up with one (inexperienced drivere - considering I had 2.73's), got pulled by one and made it up, and the others were from a roll. They get mean quickly, but so do our cars. Get that stall and some decent tires and you'll kill him from a roll and not get too badly owned on the launch.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Teching In

If the owner of an EVO lists a "Blow off valve" as a mod, youll probably beat him. Also, the EVO is slow as ***** unless its tuned. The tune is the most essential part.

The thing with EVOs is some people dont know what the hell they're doing with them. They put on "Blow off valves, intakes and IC pipes" as first mods and it can actually make the car SLOWER than stock. You see posts everyday on EVOm of newbie clowns putting on parts that dont add any power.

Whether it be a 2003 or a 2006, the best start of mods are full exhaust, boost controller and a tune.

With your mods, you will light him up.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
in my experience with evo's they can be fast as hell but it takes the right combo of mods, tuner, driver to gte it down. I ran my buddys MR against a stage 2 SRT4 and lost by a fender (from a 20mph roll) But they trully are the best bang for the buck. AWD, manual, 4 door grocery getter and can outhandle a lambo on topgear

anyway as far as the race. if you go form a dig, he will blow you outta the hole but youll blow by him once you get traction. from a roll, youll dust him with ease
they dont outhandle lambos that was some rare super short production evo with crapload of mods in it
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00firebird
they dont outhandle lambos that was some rare super short production evo with crapload of mods in it
It had a crapload of mods but it only had 330-340whp, which is attainable with $1500 in mods on a new EVO. Its suspension is the same as the USDM MR spec. The only thing the non USDM EVOs have is the AYC (active yaw control).
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

You mean the MR FQ400? It has zero chassis and I believe no suspension modifications either. A bolt-on EVO IX will make as much power as that car did too btw.

edit:
Originally Posted by Electric
It had a crapload of mods but it only had 330-340whp, which is attainable with $1500 in mods on a new EVO. Its suspension is the same as the USDM MR spec. The only thing the non USDM EVOs have is the AYC (active yaw control).
Beat me to it by two minutes!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

No, it was just a model they dont offer over here. The only big difference is in the power department, not the handling.

As far as this race goes it all depends on the racing terms and whether he is tuned or not. If you race from a roll no matter if he is tuned or not you will kill him. From a dig if he can drive he should have you through the 1/8th and then you will pull.

If he's not tuned you are looking at a high 12 to low 13sec car depending on conditions. Just to give you an example of how much difference a tune makes last year with a TBE, MBC, Intake, and tune I ran a 12.3@108 in an '03 Evo which is the slowest of the years. I was pulling 1.6-1.7 60's but as you can see by my trap I was dying up top.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

true. that special was done in europe and the evo had like 420 awhp or something. and they do need a tune to run right. my friend has a 04 evo with full exhaust, intercooler, bc, and is getting hks cams next week. i keep telling him he needs a tune to get the most out of his car, he says "na, it runs fine." i cant believe he is spending $650 on cams and STILL has no clue what his boost controler does or how it works. i think its funny as hell people buy products for their car and dont know why they got it.

if they guy knows his car and his mods, it would be a good race. but like what was said earlier, just get sum naawwwsss and take em. but beware, those blow off valves are killer from a roll. you may want to buy a high performance seat belt attachment, hood pins, and a carbon fiber dash kit to compensate for the power.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
No, it was just a model they dont offer over here. The only big difference is in the power department, not the handling.

As far as this race goes it all depends on the racing terms and whether he is tuned or not. If you race from a roll no matter if he is tuned or not you will kill him. From a dig if he can drive he should have you through the 1/8th and then you will pull.

If he's not tuned you are looking at a high 12 to low 13sec car depending on conditions. Just to give you an example of how much difference a tune makes last year with a TBE, MBC, Intake, and tune I ran a 12.3@108 in an '03 Evo which is the slowest of the years. I was pulling 1.6-1.7 60's but as you can see by my trap I was dying up top.
Geez, 12.3@108 Last time I went to the track I didnt launch and ran 12.4@116. Thats some good driving!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the owner of an EVO lists a "Blow off valve" as a mod, youll probably beat him. Also, the EVO is slow as ***** unless its tuned. The tune is the most essential part.

The thing with EVOs is some people dont know what the hell they're doing with them. They put on "Blow off valves, intakes and IC pipes" as first mods and it can actually make the car SLOWER than stock. You see posts everyday on EVOm of newbie clowns putting on parts that dont add any power.

Whether it be a 2003 or a 2006, the best start of mods are full exhaust, boost controller and a tune.

Thank you for confirming my previous post.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Thank you for confirming my previous post.
Its all good homey.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its all good homey.

Just better said from the horses mouth.....
Old 08-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Ran a black evo a couple of months ago must have been stock beat him like a drum. But, it is all about $ if you want to go fast
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roll race him at 20mph and blow his doors off. he won't have a chance in blue hell.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Though I did not beat the red 06 MR Edition I raced in my pickup truck....I sure scared the crap out of him - you should be fine.....
Old 08-05-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally have three friends with Evo's. two have MR's with turbo back exhaust, Boost Controller and tune with some other misc. small mods...both making around 325-340 to the wheels. I beat them both by a hair or two. My other buddy has a stock EVO and I put about 3-4 lengths on it by 125ish.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup
Old 08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well most of the Evo guys covered everything. An Intake and a bov are worthless on an Evo without the proper tune. Another mistake I see newbie Evo owners do is upgrade the IC, its like why upgrade it when you havent even maxed out the stock one. I never had a problem with an LS1 from a dig and had a few wondering wtf when they couldnt pass me on the freeway, but I guess I just never found one that was really modded. If he can drive and your only racing 1/4 mile he might get you or turn on his hazards early But once you get your other mods and some DR's you shouldnt have a problem. Good Luck!!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

"If he can drive and your only racing 1/4 mile he might get you "- Quik z06

1fastz is my buddy, and i see him luanch with that 3200 vig stall and he just out lancnhes everybody, but it seems as though these evos are fast as hell.

Damn, so the ls1 can be running low 12's or high 11's (after his mods this weekend) and the EVO can only have 3 bolt ons and a good driver and the EVO can still take the ls1 camaro? in a 1/4 run.... Evos seem pretty damn fast!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I know a few people with auto's and my Evo was still getting them off the line even with their stalls, but it does take away some of the Evo's advantage. It doesnt take much to get the Evo to run 12's. I had some nice mods on my Evo which cost quite a bit but only because in my case, I dont mind paying for quality and the shop I went with makes top notch stuff. Anyways I had maybe $2500 or so in power mods, not including the carbon clutch/lightweight flywheel, built tranny etc but it was pretty quick from a dig or on the freeway. I puilled a stock Cobra pretty good up to 150 or so and had a BPU Supra playing catch up from a 3rd gear punch up to about the same speed.

Again, I think with the cams, headers and a good launch your buddy should beat him especially if he thinks a BOV is a "mod"