Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what happened?

I have a question that Im sure you guys can answer. I was driving home one day in my talon and ran into what looked like a mid 90's modle z28. Im in the right lane and he in the left. Hes alone and i have a passanger. We dont exactly set up a race, instead we simply start messing around. So he jumps on it and i give chase giving him about a 1 car length on me. I stop his walk and use my 7500 shift point to my advantage (he might have been an auto, I dont know for sure) and slowly begin to creep up on him. Then, out of no where his exhaust note changes and he starts to pull away from me. My question i simple: Is that a sign that he sprayed. Ive never actually heard a car spray so i dont know what the signs are. I never saw him purge or anything and i came up on my turn so i didnt follow him to talk. I dont know why he would pray on the streets like that. I find it hard to believe that he might have just been playing with me and realized i wasnt slow so he punched it and what i heard was his car down shifting. But that is possible. Im not that fast but im not that slow even though im awd and not good for rolls. Im not complaining about the lost, just looking for some insight. thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah he could have very well just mashed the gas enough to get a down shift but had plenty left. I think if he would have sprayed you the exhaust note would have changed but how much depends on alot of things. Maybe electric cut outs I don't know.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 AM
FormerVendor

A nitrous kit doesn't need a purge kit, so that theory can be ruled out. If he sprayed, the engine would rev high really fast. If the car just got louder, then it could have been an electric cutout opening up on you. How fast did he pull away when this happened? I don't think a cutout would make a drastic difference. (I picked up 29 RWHP by opening my cutout )
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like spray.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Teching In

the car got louder and it seemed to wind out a little faster. the car was loud to begin with. he pulled away noticeably faster. i know he did something. we were moving pretty fast for a down shift though. that and the note seemed to hold for a while if i recall.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Teching In

nice number dragonz28