Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

srt-4

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen personaly a bone stock srt with a 75 shot run 13.01 @ 114 (yes he has the time slip) for all u daily drivers i would say just throw on a nitrous kit and call it day . .you'll be back to smoking them neons in a day . .as long as there not an the bottle also . .
Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year saw one at track running 14s but he was likely on street tires and you dont' hook with crap on street tires on the neons they wheelhop and spin bad out of the box.
This year just saw one and not sure what mods or if he was spraying but it ran 12.2 at 113 mph.He was on drag slicks also. Still that was .03 slower than buddies
99 heads/cam/headers /bolt on ,moser 4.10 nitto drag radial six speed .Buddies mph was 117mph not much faster and he has dynoed like 420rwhp.
He does need et streets though and then should be mid 11s anyway. Still that was pretty darn impressive.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Beasst8
It honestly scares me a little bit. I shouldnt have to be worried about a Neon when I am cruising around in my SS
Dude, its one thing to feel that but PLEASE for LS1 sake, dont admit that statement ever again. That is going to end up some guys SRT-4 quote now. Id run the bitch off the road before one outran my Cobra.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually swallowed my pride and wasted gas on a SRT last weekend. Only because he thought he was intimidating me with his blow off valve. He got a raping he will never forget in his lifetime.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:55 AM
S3R
Teching In

Originally Posted by silverbandit0996
i just raced an srt-4 and that little ****** was fast. he had a small run on me to start with but we probably started goin at about 20 mph. all i can say is damn i had no clue a neon could run that fast, and his wastegate and turbo was drowning out my exhaust easily ( ok, its a flowmaster but it's kinda loud once your on it. ) he had already pulled a car by the time i hit 3rd, well tried to hit 3rd i won't lie i missed it, then he really pulled. well thats my embarrasing story about my neon encounter.
Must have been stock. j/k

More than likely, it was lightly modded with probably an AGP wastegate and probably a stage 1 upgrade. That would put his car around 250ish whp. As someone else mentioned, you gotta watch out with these cars because you never know what they've got until they get on it. If you would have run him from a dig, you would have fared much better.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
I like the SRT-4 idea but why would they put it in there 4-door econo box.

At the time that was the only neon made, the 2 doors when away in 02 iirc.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Before i got my Formula i had a srt-4 and for all the few ppl saying they are crap it seems to me u are just a lil pissy that a 4 cylnder can keep up and still get 30 mpg :p also someone said that the srt-4 is better on the highway i think? but that is not true a ls1 probaly even lt1 will beat a stock srt-4 on high end.. aerodynamics are a bitch :p nontheless i had beaten many unexpected V8's in the srt-4 they are great cars and only problem with them is they are fwd and to much tq to start the line right... i only ran 14.2 before getting rid of it and it only had like 3k miles when i ran it... The reason i traded is not cuz the ls1 is a faster car but because there is alot less stress on a V8 when it comes to power... sure having 350 4 clynder is nice but sure is alot better when u have 4 extra pistons to share the power with. Dont be mad when u get beat by this car cuz they will only laugh about it.... Just remember this you have a nicer car that actually feels like a sports car which is another reason y i traded.... The srt-4 just feels too much like a regular neon for me.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had an SRT4 at one time. It had an upgraded turbo/IC/header/injectors/CAI/fuel management system and it pulled a 420 rwhp H/C Trams Am on the highway. Those little cars can be nasty but goddamn did I ******* hate FWD!!! Thats why I got rid of it. Any time in first or second from any speed it would just boil the tires. I hated getting pulled by 5 cars from a second gear roll only to shift into third and start reeling back in. I only raced people really from third gear on, it was kind of pointless.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

yeah theres a guy around my area runnin 12.7's with barely any mods. another just pulled on me about a month ago and had quite a few things done.

heres how i look at it: its just a 4 door neon
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

he had to have mods...boost controller really gives them more. ive beat several of them at the track by a car at least. walked another one on the interstate around 150...but i think those were bone stock. harder to get them to hook from a dead stop though.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWD is teh suck for sure. There are some good mods available now to counter the fwd problems of the SRT-4, but it will never be as good as rwd or awd for street driving. I've burnt my share of unsuspecting v8 drivers, but for me it is just a DD/beater...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i talked to him a while back and he said that he had a stage 1 upgradeed ecu and some other stage one thing. and a wastegate and boost controller. its all greek to me though.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverbandit0996
i talked to him a while back and he said that he had a stage 1 upgradeed ecu and some other stage one thing. and a wastegate and boost controller. its all greek to me though.
Stage one is upgraded injectors (for '03s) and a reprogrammed ecu for WOT shifts, more boost and a little more timiing. A wastegate actuator and boost controller will allow even more boost than the stage one will allow. This combo is a pretty good match for a stock LS1 fbody from a roll since there is a big weight difference ~500-600lbs. From a stop, the fbody has an edge. At higher density altitude, the LS1 is at a disadvantage. If you are anywhere near stock, race an SRT-4 from a dig.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beasst8
It honestly scares me a little bit. I shouldnt have to be worried about a Neon when I am cruising around in my SS

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Dude, its one thing to feel that but PLEASE for LS1 sake, dont admit that statement ever again. That is going to end up some guys SRT-4 quote now. Id run the bitch off the road before one outran my Cobra.

Last edited by burnzilla; 09-22-2006 at 12:24 PM.