Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Charger RT vs. GTO

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock

The 5.7L is putting out allot of power. Just as much as the 392ci and it's only 345ci.

And it's reserved, they have no need to up it yet.

The 6.1L (370ci)is putting out the same power the famous 426 hemi from the day.

There's a big article about it from a magazine I read. I think motortrend posted it. They took the original motor and compared it to the specs of the time. Everything is now SAE corrected. It wasn't back than so they had to compare it with the old dyno sheet that was available. It was an interesting article. I will see if I can find the article.

But heres some good information:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html
Thats a good point about the SAE. Back then they would dyno an engine without a water pump by running a hose to it from an external source LOL. At the same time, they underrated a lot fo the most famous car as they got into the 70s for insurance reasons. As I recall the Hemi Darts were rated at like 425HP. The reality was more like 600. Then again, that thing only came with an MSRP certificate. Not a street car at all.

I dunno. It may well be the case that they are trying not to tread too close to Viper territory with the HP. I say make a 600HP Viper and lets see some 400HP base V8 300Cs. The "Hemis" are doing what GM did about a decade ago in designing the LS1. If they really had hemishperical combustion chambers, then they would be getting more than they are from them, and with some nasty powerbands to boot.

Time will tell for sure. God knows the next few model years will have plenty of incentives to up the power
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nick98Z28
i'd like to see an article comparing that engine to the ls1
well, you could compare modern engines to modern engines say the ls2 (6.0L)and the hemi 6.1L

364ci verusus 370ci

400hp versus 425hp
400 torque versus 420 torque

not much to say really, DC is going in the right direction; their sales shows that. They have been since 2003.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Thats a good point about the SAE. Back then they would dyno an engine without a water pump by running a hose to it from an external source LOL. At the same time, they underrated a lot fo the most famous car as they got into the 70s for insurance reasons. As I recall the Hemi Darts were rated at like 425HP. The reality was more like 600. Then again, that thing only came with an MSRP certificate. Not a street car at all.

I dunno. It may well be the case that they are trying not to tread too close to Viper territory with the HP. I say make a 600HP Viper and lets see some 400HP base V8 300Cs. The "Hemis" are doing what GM did about a decade ago in designing the LS1. If they really had hemishperical combustion chambers, then they would be getting more than they are from them, and with some nasty powerbands to boot.

Time will tell for sure. God knows the next few model years will have plenty of incentives to up the power

They didn't go back to the true hemi's design because of emissions, they already said that. Read the article there at that link on the old hemi versus the new hemi, it explains allot of mis-information. DC said they can get more power from the motors if they start using variable timing like the competition does, but they have no need for it just yet. They are still ahead of the competition, so they won't mess with it just yet.

As for the viper motor, yes, there's a works for 600-625hp version, the 3rd party source said they might make it so high, gm won't bother following. Just think, it took GM over 10 years to make a more powerful motor than the viper. I think they should of responded earlier.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Launching!

My bad, I'll read that article. I was under the impression that true Hemi heads would be very clean burning with such an efficient combustion.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

I would say you ls1 should rape the Charger....I raced a few r/ts and hemi c's in my trailblazer ss and I thought it would be closer then they were...
I did race a srt8 with cai and a cat back and he beat me by a nose.....I am talking .004 at the stripe. so you should have a worry in the world
Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Charger R/T is a dog. You will destroy him.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
An SRT will NOT run 12s stock. I just saw a review of a stock and modified SRT; stock was 13.7, bolt-on-exhaust-etc was 13.4, if I remember correctly. Don't buy into this hemi ****. It's NOT a real hemi.....there are no hemispherical heads on it. If you listened carefully when they started this bullshit a few years ago, they said they were bringing back one of the 'greatest' NAMES.......NOT engines. No matter the motor, keep in mind these are 4 door 2 ton pigs. Yeah, they're not bad for what they are, and if I had the need for a full size 4 door sedan I might look into one, but I would never give up my LS1 for any pseudo hemi.
You're WAY off. Quite a few SRT-8s have run 12s stock and low 13s are the standard. 13.2s and 13.3s in C&D and R&T. I ran 13.3 on a bad night. Trap speeds are usually 108-110mph. They slightly edge a stock LS-1 and run even with C5 6Ms.

Regarding the Hemi: 1. The combustion chamger is a spherical segment when sliced on a plane perpendicular to the crank center line. 2. The valves are directly opposed, with center lines on the plane mentioned above. 3. It uses the dobule-rocker shafts like past Hemis.

Yeah, it's got a Hemi.

Regarding the RT - High 13s on a good day but still trap around 100-101mph. FULL exhaust on an SRT-8 is good for about 30rwhp, on the 5.7, it's got to be less. I think a full bolt-on R/T will dyno around 325-330rwhp.

98NATA - An LS-1 will beat an R/T. Have a fun race.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
You're WAY off. Quite a few SRT-8s have run 12s stock and low 13s are the standard. 13.2s and 13.3s in C&D and R&T. I ran 13.3 on a bad night. Trap speeds are usually 108-110mph. They slightly edge a stock LS-1 and run even with C5 6Ms.

Regarding the Hemi: 1. The combustion chamger is a spherical segment when sliced on a plane perpendicular to the crank center line. 2. The valves are directly opposed, with center lines on the plane mentioned above. 3. It uses the dobule-rocker shafts like past Hemis.

Yeah, it's got a Hemi.

Regarding the RT - High 13s on a good day but still trap around 100-101mph. FULL exhaust on an SRT-8 is good for about 30rwhp, on the 5.7, it's got to be less. I think a full bolt-on R/T will dyno around 325-330rwhp.

I agree with everything...except the last part.

Maybe alot has happened in the last four months, but I almost signed the papers on a Daytona Charger.........tehy are a mid to upper 14 sec car...no tuning available...basically, exhaust and CAI, and that's it (aside from teh SRT8 Cam). The are a high 13 with a few tweaks....
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
As for the viper motor, yes, there's a works for 600-625hp version, the 3rd party source said they might make it so high, gm won't bother following. Just think, it took GM over 10 years to make a more powerful motor than the viper. I think they should of responded earlier.

The 600 hp viper is out... and just like w/ the 500 hp version, there will soon be a vette that destroys that car. Since the inception of the C5, there has always been a Vette as fast as any Viper, for half the money.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

One of my buddies has a Daytona charger. We went for a cruise and he did not keep up like he thought he would. Atleast he never thought he could beat me
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree with everything...except the last part.

Maybe alot has happened in the last four months, but I almost signed the papers on a Daytona Charger.........tehy are a mid to upper 14 sec car...no tuning available...basically, exhaust and CAI, and that's it (aside from teh SRT8 Cam). The are a high 13 with a few tweaks....
Low 14s is the bell curve. Some faster, some slower. Depends on the track and the conditions. They do have tuning, full exhaust, CAI, heads, cam, etc. More stuff available than the SRT-8 unfortunately.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
The 600 hp viper is out... and just like w/ the 500 hp version, there will soon be a vette that destroys that car. Since the inception of the C5, there has always been a Vette as fast as any Viper, for half the money.
Funny, the C6 Z-06 barely beats the current Viper on the road course and drag strip. And the Viper is considered more track friendly, too. Maybe when the C6 Z-06 enters the SCCA they'll let the 500hp Vipers run without restrictors or extra weight....

That 600hp Viper will be all over the current Z-06 and the 600hp SS Z-06 will cost THE SAME if not MORE than the Viper.....
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Low 14s is the bell curve. Some faster, some slower. Depends on the track and the conditions. They do have tuning, full exhaust, CAI, heads, cam, etc. More stuff available than the SRT-8 unfortunately.
Really?.....when did all that come about? I was researching back in September for an entire month. And everyone said the same thing (multiple sites) that there was no tuning software available. And only simple bolt ons (plus an SRT8 cam) was available for them.

HUH...pretty cool if they have come out with all of that.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, it's got a Hemi.

shame, seen many run while I ran this fall..5.7's were low 14's all day long, with CAI/Exhaust, BS jet crap they run.. and 2 SRT8 Chargers were running 13.1 & 2's I beat both of them(ET wise we all ran the same lane & 60's were 1.9 for them 2.0 for me) before my Vig was in.. they were not happy both had Cai/Exhaust and were jumping the fan relay out to cool them down.. Sad thing id the JeepSRT8 is faster than the cars?? they're running 12.7's and on a good air day dipping into the .5's with LT's, Exhaust & CAI, ran 2 of them, one runs a 100shot went 12.0's w/o trans shifting (N2o freaked the computer out, had to lift at the shifts..)
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
shame, seen many run while I ran this fall..5.7's were low 14's all day long, with CAI/Exhaust, BS jet crap they run.. and 2 SRT8 Chargers were running 13.1 & 2's I beat both of them(ET wise we all ran the same lane & 60's were 1.9 for them 2.0 for me) before my Vig was in.. they were not happy both had Cai/Exhaust and were jumping the fan relay out to cool them down.. Sad thing id the JeepSRT8 is faster than the cars?? they're running 12.7's and on a good air day dipping into the .5's with LT's, Exhaust & CAI, ran 2 of them, one runs a 100shot went 12.0's w/o trans shifting (N2o freaked the computer out, had to lift at the shifts..)
Driver's do vary..........but I see what you mean...kind of odd, and messed up. I know someone that ran a 13.1 on his factory stock Magnum srt8.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think this threads ever going to end. but by the way i never ran this guy but my buddy did in his 05 gto A4, well kind of the guy jumped him but my friend said he easily passed him and the guy still says he won but anyway the guys a joke so i wont run him now, there is a vid of him on myspace running a 01 WS6 and he tells everyone he won, but watching the vid they werent racing, it was the dealerships car they decided to run the sh#t out of so te guy wasnt used to the car anyway
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Tony I seen the same thing....Jeep srt8 runnin quicker then there Dodge and Chrys counterparts....Guess the awd helps the most
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, it's got a Hemi.

Thats exactly right. Stock for stock the 6.1L HEMI (yes a real HEMI!) is far a more powerful engine that a LS1. Please see that Im comparing engines, the LX platform suffers from quite an overweight problem.

Tony GXP: You know that saying the Jeep SRT8 is faster is not entirely true. Top end for the LX's is way better. They (the Jeep) come out of the hole faster specially due to the AWD system. Traction to all fours is hard to beat. This is what happens when your point of reference to evaluate a vehicle performance is only limited to the dragstrip.

A stock RT is no match for a stock LS1 f-body, run the bastard and shut him up!

Quick Reply: Charger RT vs. GTO