Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ls2 GTO takes down my L98 Irocz

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls2 GTO takes down my L98 Irocz

it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be tho. lol

Me and my brother in my 89 Irocz were goin to pick up some stuff for school. i see a red GTO stop to get money out of the bank, while we waited for the red light to turn green. I see the dual exhaust exits and the 6.0 badge, and the hood scoops. thing looks mean. i turn at the light and head on down the road and look behind me to see the GTO speeding up to catch up to me, to my surprise. lol he slows behind me about a car back, and floors it to give me a little flyby. well i punch it as he goes by and then let off as he coasts past...let him know i'll play around

well he gets the message and slows up. we pull up next to each other and both look over and smile. the light up ahead is red, but as we roll next to it, slowing to about 20mph it turns green... so with his nose at about my rear tire, i go for it. lol he is on it immediately..but i cant hear his car over my chambered tube exhaust.

it stays even like that with his nose about at my door/rear tire all thru first gear, till he shifts to second. and from his shift i can tell either he wasnt the best driver in that thing yet, or he was taking me lightly, cuz his shifts were slow.
once he bangs second he starts walkin on me... he crawls past, my nose is now at his door. he shifts for 3rd gear...lots of time between shifts, so my car is hanging with him, and might have closed just a few on him.

he gets that T56 into 3rd and starts pulling again. he gets about a car length on me or so, and looked like he shifted to 4th...but i shut down to turn around and head back to the store. any more and it wouldnt have been pretty. would have kept pulling cars on me. i never looked at the speedo, but i'm pretty sure i got it up to about 70 or so before i shut down.

so i was pretty impressed with my cars performance this afternoon, even with my brothers 150lbs in the car. thats a big difference. so basically from about 15-20mph roll, i can hang somewhat close to a LS2 GTO till about 50-60mph, then its all him on the top end. it took him alot longer to catch me than i thought it would. a Ls1 goat would have been a fun race. and from a dig, i'm sure i would have gotten the early lead on that ls2.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

nice death....mods?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good race.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mods

89 L98 350...all stock, fresh gaskets
10 degrees base timing, gutted air box/homemade ram air, gutted maf sensor
hooker headers, custom chambered tube exhaust 3inch

2800 stall, 3.27 gears

rest is all suspension, full bolt on, from shocks/springs to torque arm.

car runs strong for the mods
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

sounds like it does.
again, good death!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Damn just reading the story I felt like I was doin 90!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

really? haha thanks..i didnt put any effort in this story..just tellin as much detail about the race i could. i should rewrite this one as i would a real racing story..like my post on the gsr hatch vs ls1 trans am.