Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

guy with a gtp wants to run the ss!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The can be made fast theres a couple guys with whippled gtp/buicks that post over at SVTP. There are also a couple turbo cars running around and there pretty dam quick as well.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone else pretty much said what you need to know.....if the GTP will pop the hood, check the size of the pulley, look for intercooler and/or nitrous, and injectors. That will give you a pretty good idea of what kinda power he's pushing.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:39 PM

Just race him. I would go from a dig. You should learn to drive your car first though.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
Everyone else pretty much said what you need to know.....if the GTP will pop the hood, check the size of the pulley, look for intercooler and/or nitrous, and injectors. That will give you a pretty good idea of what kinda power he's pushing.
Won't really tell you anything, when i had the mods on my GTP i had no intercooler no nitrous and stock injectors. The size of the pulley will tell you, but might not he could be stupid an think 30* of knock is good for the L67.

But I could beat our A4 99 TA when it was stock, the TA ran 13.6@103mph. And i really didn't have that much cash in the whole setup on the GTP maybe 1500-1600 bucks. Alky was my best friend and you couldn't see the pump it was hidden. You better have $100 ready to be lost if a GTP wants to run for money. The way i look at it if there's a car like a GTP going around asking for races with a car you know should be faster then most likely he think's or know's he has enough to take said faster car down. Or he's an idiot and thinks like a ricer.

Oh and GTP's are not hard to launch i've seen many 2.0 60's on GTP's on street tires.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Guys! As he mentioned his SS is black, so there is no way he can lose!
HAHAHA, I saw that as well..I need to get that mod!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

I've gone 13.6 @ 101 with mine so far, full tank of gas, and no weight reduction in so so air. It has a 3.2 pulley, tog headers, and alky injection. The previous owner has gone 13.3 in better air. With some DRs and a little weight reduction 12s are not out of the question.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

how old are you?? color black and oil change doesnt give you ANY speical power. if you got 100 bucks then go race him and find out what hez got. more than likely, you will lose cuz you dont know how to drive.. why the fock would you put in 3rd when you are rolling 40mph. i think you will have better chance from a roll. put it in the first gear and race him from 20mph or 30mph... or 2nd in 50mph... good luck and have fun..
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Me personally.. I think i would try to get one from a roll... they seem to come out of the hole pretty damn good...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Launching!

A GTP can be made fast. I had a 99 with CAI, exhaust U-bend removed, 3.0 pulley, tires and ran high 13s. If i didnt get the vette i would have had that car in the low 12s no problem with a cam and intercooler. Be careful, those cars have a crap load of TQ and can be a handful. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:46 PM

I've never had a GTP come even close. I ran 12.9 @ 108 stock. A lot of heavily modded GTP's I see at NED are running 13's. I had a local guy with a stock GTP thinking he coul take me. Some people just overestimate their cars. You never know until you run him. I also had my *** handed to me by a 80's nissan 240 sx w/fadded out paint, that ran low 10's. you never know.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM

oh yeah, and 2.0 is a shitty 60', even for street tires.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zzperformance.com/miscftp/TTGT9463.mpg

ZZP drag car, they are one of the pioneer's in the 3.8 market for the Wbody..

http://www.cartuning.ca/images/subpa...a/ctp_1280.wmv

Bolt on Turbo kit that can be had for about $3500

http://www.cartuning.ca/images/subpa...4_117_pass.wmv

Same turbo kit as above but with 1.9 rockers and I/C.

If I were at home I would put up some vids of GTP's, even one with the basic bolt ons walking a SRT-4. They rely on the tune that they have and the condition of the Transmission. How I see it is they are virtually a FWD Grand National, some out of the box aren't the greatest (non-GNX) but with a few hundred they can be moving pretty damn fast. Basic bolt ons for a GTP will cost anywhere from $500 - 1000, Pulley, intake, exhaust and tune will land them in mid to high 13's, all depends on the driver.

Stock GTP will pull a flat 2.0 60'. Friend has one with intake/exhaust and tune and did a 14 flat, mine with just a pully walks him from the start, haven't gotten to time my GTP cause tranny just went out, so I got a ZZP tranny with a 2750 stall, should be a mid 13's providing I can get the launch down easily. Off the line it will stay with my M6 01' TA until I hit second gear than it starts to walk away, if you are really concerned about the GTP then do a run to 90mph or so and pray he doesn't have a tune, shift points are way early in second gear, shift at something like 82 mph when it is fully capable of shifting out of 2nd at close to 94...

Like people said, it all depends on what it has done, if it is stock, hands town win for the LS1, if they are smart and they have mods and have done it right, they could have a 12sec daily driver... If anything you might try to take them from a roll @ 40mph, even though it sounds like a bad spot for you, it is even worse for the GTP, unless again, it has a tune. My dad was able to get a jump on my M6 when I was in second, but it probably lasted a second if that.

Basically Good Luck, don't go thinking that the car is the baddest thing on the road, because it isn't always...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

My cousin has a 97 GTP...it is a low 12 sec car...cammed, headers, exhuast, pulley, stall...all sorts of ****....those cars can be made fast....when you hear it start up you will know if you have a chance....his cars sounded like a V8.....good luck but like you said you are stock..so bring your money
Old 09-21-2006, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TX_SS
how old are you?? color black and oil change doesnt give you ANY speical power. if
Dunno, if the camaro is black, he's got a good shot...BUT what if the GTP is RED??? OH CRAP!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Launching!

I'm betting that GTP is heavily modded like the guy claims. Don't get too cocky. Bring $100 and be prepared for a strong chance of losing it. And please, for LS1tech's sake.... post the damn results !
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Teching In

no respect for wbodys in here, i have handed many ls1's there asses with my impala and the guy talking about his fast srt-4 you can bring that thing up here and there are tons of wbodys that will make you look like your standing still. all i have done is a turbo camed and home ported heads stock valves. i went 11.84 at 123 with a shitty 1.89 60'. like many of you have said any car can be made fast.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davered00ss
oh yeah, and 2.0 is a shitty 60', even for street tires.
Have you driven a GTP??? If you have, then you would know that a 2.0 60ft is a good thing on STREET TIRES for a FWD car!!!!! Its called weight transfer on a FWD. The weight goes to the back, witch in no way helps you launch a FWD car.

I have a 00 GTP and run a 12.436 @110MPH with a 1.8 60ft on M/T DR's.
I have raced quite a few cars in my time and have had many victories as well as had my *** handed to me.

Like everyone has stated already, you dont know his mods, so you dont know his capability. You might win, you might lose. If he has a 3.0 pulley or smaller, then be prepaired to pay some cash. If his pulley looks like the size of a spare tire, then you stand a good chance.

I know that in my car, you wont stand a chance at a 40 roll.... On a dig, you would out launch me but dont get used to it, because I would catch you quickly. Oh, and an oil change will not make you faster..... You have a better chance of strapping a hunk of cheese to your hood and going faster then having your oil make you faster.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

I've never had a GTP come even close. I ran 12.9 @ 108 stock. A lot of heavily modded GTP's I see at NED are running 13's. I had a local guy with a stock GTP thinking he coul take me. Some people just overestimate their cars. You never know until you run him. I also had my *** handed to me by a 80's nissan 240 sx w/fadded out paint, that ran low 10's. you never know.

Exactly, I see most modded ones are mid to high 13 second cars due to their FWD...not saying all are as im one quite a few forums and have seen some sick turboed GTP's, but I would roll the dice if I were you and go from a dig. It all depends on his mentality though. I raced a modded GTP. He was running a 75 shot on his stock engine, and it was quick, but he got eat alive because he had god knows how many TV's and subs in his car, plus heavy as 20 inch wheels...it all depends on his mentality and setup. If it looks stock then it will probably be a real good race but if its riced out with huge wheels, crappy tires, etc then I wouldnt be as concerned.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TomGTP
Have you driven a GTP??? If you have, then you would know that a 2.0 60ft is a good thing on STREET TIRES for a FWD car!!!!! Its called weight transfer on a FWD. The weight goes to the back, witch in no way helps you launch a FWD car.

I have a 00 GTP and run a 12.436 @110MPH with a 1.8 60ft on M/T DR's.
I have raced quite a few cars in my time and have had many victories as well as had my *** handed to me.

Like everyone has stated already, you dont know his mods, so you dont know his capability. You might win, you might lose. If he has a 3.0 pulley or smaller, then be prepaired to pay some cash. If his pulley looks like the size of a spare tire, then you stand a good chance.

I know that in my car, you wont stand a chance at a 40 roll.... On a dig, you would out launch me but dont get used to it, because I would catch you quickly. Oh, and an oil change will not make you faster..... You have a better chance of strapping a hunk of cheese to your hood and going faster then having your oil make you faster.

Hahaha man shut up dont let the cat out of the bag...a hunk of limburger on the hood is worth at least 3459072349723 HP!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Heavily modded and they were only in the 13's? LOL they were either not heavily modded or something was wrong. All heavily modded ones i know of are in the 12's.

And i always considered a 1.9-2.0 a good 60' in any car on street tires i think alot of other ppl. think the same too.

Last edited by 89tang; 09-22-2006 at 01:53 PM.