Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Destroyed a Turboed Eclipse Today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
....for the money it's a great car for it's class i mean it's not a 30-40k car so idk why so many cobra's pick on it (i mean they annihilate them, lol). I really think the fwd factor helps keep it in it's place, even from a roll.
So wait,....when was the last time you saw an SRT-4 "annihilate" a Cobra or even an LS based F-Body at that?!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
So wait,....when was the last time you saw an SRT-4 "annihilate" a Cobra or even an LS based F-Body at that?!

I know I spelled that wrong, but you read it wrong, other way around. I've seen cobra's annihilate (sp?) srt-4's. Well honestly I haven't seen it (i don't have that many cocky srt-4 friends, they know their place, lol) but no doubt in my mind, and we've seen enough video's out there of it.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diambo4life
...and a car that traps 107mph in the 1/4 is not "quick" at all.
i think it is. barely modified f-bodies and older vettes trap around there, and they're pretty quick. however, i guess if you're used to 125+ mph passes, then nothing is really quick to you anymore...
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I know I spelled that wrong, but you read it wrong, other way around. I've seen cobra's annihilate (sp?) srt-4's. Well honestly I haven't seen it (i don't have that many cocky srt-4 friends, they know their place, lol) but no doubt in my mind, and we've seen enough video's out there of it.
OK,..just wanted to have that clarified cuz i've seen em get bitch slapped(SRT-4) at the track by both a Cobra and a stock LS1 (SS) before.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdm1234
i think it is. barely modified f-bodies and older vettes trap around there, and they're pretty quick. however, i guess if you're used to 125+ mph passes, then nothing is really quick to you anymore...

I agree!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Sweet kill, nothing better than sspanking a couple of knuckle heads after they beg for it!!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSlither
Sweet kill, nothing better than sspanking a couple of knuckle heads after they beg for it!!
Yea..there seems to be alot of em out here in the San Fernando Valley.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Lightbulb

I remember when I was in California, there alot of rice out there, keep em' stomped bud, later!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSlither
I remember when I was in California, there alot of rice out there, keep em' stomped bud, later!!
LOL,..yea,.I'd call it a melting pot out here but its more like a rice bowl instead. We're do'n our best to keep em in their place.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

00s were the third gen non turbo and the newest ones are also non turbo but have reasonable power bit less than lt1 stock in v6 form.The third gens were only a couple hundred hp.The 1st and 2ng gen made till 1999 had the turbo options and came awd or fwd. The fwd were a bit faster from roll and the awd are killer off the lights.They were around couple hundred hp stock and ran like low 15s high 14s or so bone stock,bone stock means stock boost.Simple tweaks they get to 300engine hp and then can be a good match for stock or mildy modded lt1s and bone stock ls1s.
They have a huge aftermarket and you can get them stupid fast for pretty cheap.
I have owned four of them now. 91 fwd turbo 5 speed,92 awd turbo 5 speed ,91 awd turbo auto and 97 awd turbo 5 speed. The 97 is insanely fast highly moddifed with 650 engine hp potential at max boost. My 2001 z28 buddy near stock ran me when breaking in the 97 talon turbo and it was close but I was running at part throttle and not going anywhere near redline. He had another ride in car at 20psi approx 500 engine hp on this setup and he refused to give me a rematch.He knew the awd would crush him off the line and no way could he run the 97 down.
30psi would be around 650 hp engine.
I don't much care for the the 3rd and 4th gen but the 4th gen does look nice to me.
They have built a prototype awd turbo version already but not sure if they will market them.
If you have not driven an older turbo dsm do so you may find like me that you really like them and they are great all season drivers when our v8s are sleeping thru the winter months. Awd destroys any car off the line that isn't also awd or not on drag tires. I can pull like 1.6 60fts on street tires in my talon.Thats pretty darn good.
Anyway good kill, my 2001 z28 buddy has killed several stock or near stock dsms with not much problem. My 97 was not a cheap build up it was pricey and has 90% top of line american parts in it. Crower forged rods and cams and valve springs,wiseco forged pistons,huge garrett turbo,giant american made front mount intercooler,etc.etc. I fully expect my 99 trans am to be my fastest car when its finished but for now the 97 talon is easily the fastest in the stable.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

MY99TAWS6........like eclypses much?! lol
Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I was not that into them then bought my first one a 92 awd turbo 5 speed at auction.It needed a few things but got it going and it was good fun,especially in bad weather.I got the mod bug on it and really modded it up but never installed better clutch and front mount then sold car before they were installed. The 92 was potentially fast with about a 500hp capable engine hp turbo setup. But clutch slip and stock intercooler heat soak held that one back.
Sold the 92 and bought a 97 and went super crazy on it. No regrets really. One friend that had a 383 lt1 ta ws6 had a ride in it at only 20psi ,500 or so engine hp and said it could only be decribed by one word "Vicious!" and his 383 lt1 wasn't slow.He knows fast. It weighs around z06 weight which also helps..And I have another 150 hp potential in my 97 talon. Talon of course is same as eclipse but last year they were made was 98.They look a bit more aggressive than the eclipse I think. I can post a few pics.
Also never saw a fast srt4 at our local track till this year.One was running consistent 12.2 at 114 or so with slicks on front and no idea what mods but doubt it was stock turbo and it might have been on spray.Still that was faster than almost all the ls1 cars at our track ,buddies 420rwhp dynoed 99 SS m6 only managed 12.1 that day at 117mph with 1.8 60ft on nittos.Another ls1 did 12.4 at 113 with 1.8 on nittos.
I was decently impressed with that srt4.I do wish they at least offered them in two door form they would look a bit better and no awd option either but they are a pretty neat fun car to drive,have test driven them. On street tires they are hard to launch and would be quite a bit slower on the street on street rubber.I will likely get a chance to play with the 12.2 one he is from my city and see him around.
Don't get me wrong guys.I grew up on v8s first car was 77 bandit ta.In 1978..yes that old!
I love my 99 taws6 and the 96z28 vert is also fun. But the dsm cars are good bangs for the buck and the awd turbo ones are high perf cars with not that much in mods or money. One at our local track a 91 awd talon was running 11.88 at 120mph faster than almost all our club ls1 cars.Have to respect that a bit.It was not near as heavily modded as my 97 which should be a 10 second car off nitrous.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill. Have you run your car at California Speedway?

When I raced an Eclipse it was a GSX. It was plenty quick, but racing w/ 3 people in the car is never a smart idea. Needless to say it was a slaughter.

Sounds like you got lucky with the cop.