Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First race w/ a Evo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NIevo
Cams are a easy mod on an Evo, most consider them a bolt-on. A tranny is not a light or easy mod though, but it doesnt take a built one to go fast either.

Good kill on the Evo, what do you trap in the 1/4?
There is only a 1/8 track close. Et is 7.50s @91-92mph consistent. I would like to go to the 1/4. But going to wait after i get a tune.
Old 10-11-2006 | 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hmm.....
there is another one besides the 900 hp one running around in florida with 1048 awhp
Is that the AMS Evo. I've heard a lot of about that guy's car. Supposely there was a guy that built a turbo stang built just to beat that car. crazy
Old 10-11-2006 | 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
Is that the AMS Evo. I've heard a lot of about that guy's car. Supposely there was a guy that built a turbo stang built just to beat that car. crazy

The AMS shop EVO has 988awhp or something but recently they have a built a couple 900-1000awhp customer cars. The 1048awhp one is a customer car.
Old 10-11-2006 | 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Electric
No they arent a bolt on. However, some people call it that because its a simple 2-3 hour job that can be done by most handy people. Putting a cam into an LS1 is a much bigger job as Im sure we know.
What? A cam in an LS1 is an easy 2 or 3 hour job. I guess nitrous and prochargers are bolt ons also?

Really though, a cam is NOT considered a bolt on as it shouldn't.
Old 10-11-2006 | 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dal1as
cams are not a bolt on. Where are the bolts? lol
OHC is not the same as OHV.
Remove valve cover. Loosen BOLTS on cam caps in sequence. Remove caps/cams/gears. Install gears on new cams or just get a set of adjustables. Put in new cams. Put on caps. Tighten cap BOLTS in sequence. Put on valve cover.

Obviously you have to get it to TDC and pull the timing belt etc. And no, I dont consider cams a "bolt-on". But they really are just as much a bolt on as porting something like a TB or putting in an electric WP are. Hell, I bet its easier than an electric pump. You dont need a compressor and die grinder either. And HKS cams (which BTW dont really even need to be degreed, they drop right in) are what, like 600 for a set these days?

A cam is a minor mod in terms of difficulty.
Old 10-11-2006 | 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire
OHC is not the same as OHV.
Remove valve cover. Loosen BOLTS on cam caps in sequence. Remove caps/cams/gears. Install gears on new cams or just get a set of adjustables. Put in new cams. Put on caps. Tighten cap BOLTS in sequence. Put on valve cover.

Obviously you have to get it to TDC and pull the timing belt etc. And no, I dont consider cams a "bolt-on". But they really are just as much a bolt on as porting something like a TB or putting in an electric WP are. Hell, I bet its easier than an electric pump. You dont need a compressor and die grinder either. And HKS cams (which BTW dont really even need to be degreed, they drop right in) are what, like 600 for a set these days?

A cam is a minor mod in terms of difficulty.
An easy mod, fine but nothing close to a bolt on. Otherwise the 150 shot I'm throwing on my car is the best bolt on in the world. Install and tune less than a couple hours. Hell ya! Slicks are pretty minor too. Prochargers are real easy to install on an LS1...
Old 10-11-2006 | 10:24 PM
Teching In

What? A cam in an LS1 is an easy 2 or 3 hour job. I guess nitrous and prochargers are bolt ons also?

2-3 hour for a cam install on an LS1? Wow, I didnt know that. I wonder why every single one I see doesnt have one then. In fact, even in my heavily populated area, most are just bolt-on. 2 of my friends are cammed but they had their work (heads, tune) all done at the same time.

I didnt say cams were a bolt-on for the EVO.
Old 10-11-2006 | 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
Cams are a easy mod on an Evo, most consider them a bolt-on. A tranny is not a light or easy mod though, but it doesnt take a built one to go fast either.

Good kill on the Evo, what do you trap in the 1/4?
I don't care what they say, cams are not bolt ons, case closed. They are considered engine internals, and therefore do not "bolt on".

Look at the size of the Evo transmission - its not a heavy duty trans by any means. Rip off enough quick shifts in one and you'll end up with a broken shifter, stretched/broken cables, and grinding gears due to worn out synchros. Its not a heavy duty transmission, I've seen them completely blow out with only minor engine mods on more than one occassion.
Old 10-11-2006 | 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Honestly do you know anything about the evo or the srt-4? Do you know what serious mods are to an evo? Do you know what full bolt on's are considered to be for an evo, and do you know what people are getting in the 1/4 with decent bolt on's and raised boost, and their trap speeds? Do realize that even domestic owner's have to correct you and you still act like you know what your talking about? Do you have a clue, an ounce of knowledge as to what your talking about? And are you gonna now proceed to call me a ricer and tell me to leave, lol.
Dude just shut up, right now, before you look even dumber. I'm sick of seeing your ricer *** come into every post and start flaming because people don't talk highly of the imports you love so much. I don't give a **** what you think, enough already.

Basically you think that the Evo and just about any import are the best cars in the world and have more potential than any other car in the world. You're living in your own little ricer dream world, welcome to real life. "Serious mods" don't have a specific definition you retard, its objective. I don't care what an Evo runs with "decent bolt ons and raised boost", all tha means is it sounds even worse and has even more horrible turbo lag and longer spool time. I can run just as fast with an N/A V8 and not have either of those issues, I don't see what is so great about trying to make a piece of **** 4 cylinder fast. Sure you can do it, but that doesn't make it any less pointless.

How do cam's on an evo equate to a procharger on an ls1?? (now I heard everything!) Take a moment to think. A better cam on an ls1 usually give's much more power than better cam's on an evo, yet you still managed to go as far as comparing cams on the evo to a "procharger" for the ls1?? Reaching for the sky there arn't we?
Its called an exaggeration you moron. You'd realize that if you didn't take every word for its literal definition. I said if cams are considered "bolt ons" for an Evo, than I suppose I could call a Procharger a "bolt on" for my LS1. Point being neither are considered bolt ons, you're obviously too dumb to realize that though, Mr. 3 posts in 5 months
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Haha wait, this all started with my post, where the hell do I say cams are a bolt on? I said I had all the basic bolt ons + cams, umm...hello!!. As for the tranny, yeah it was a built tranny as in built stronger, I didnt gain any hp or anything from it why would that be a concern? Only reason I even did that was becuase as some of you know early Evo's had synchro problems so while it was out we made it stronger thats it. Haha this thread got way out of hand

PS..No offence Transanimal...But who are you to talk, what you have 42 post's? You just joined last month...wooopie!! BTW...I dont post often and when I do its in the Kill forum which doesnt contribute to your post count.
Old 10-12-2006 | 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
PS..No offence Transanimal...But who are you to talk, what you have 42 post's? You just joined last month...wooopie!! BTW...I dont post often and when I do its in the Kill forum which doesnt contribute to your post count.
Well no offense either bro...but I don't think you are in any better position to talk when you only have 18 real posts in over a year. That means you don't contrbute to the other sections, you just hang out and bullshit in Street racing and kills. I hang out here too, but I mainly post in the tech forums and contribute information to help other people.
Old 10-12-2006 | 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

im not trying to defend the evo's.....but dude..... i will say again. with only a larger turbo and a tune, there is a local evo dipping into teh 10s at over 130. that aint too shabby. they CAN be fast fairly easily, if done correctly.
Old 10-12-2006 | 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
There is only a 1/8 track close. Et is 7.50s @91-92mph consistent. I would like to go to the 1/4. But going to wait after i get a tune.
Wow, thats really close to my 1/8th times on my 11.68 run! My numbers were 7.49@92.2 and 11.68@119. Sounds like a strong car.

Ok, maybe I was stretching the cams=bolt-on, but I was referring more to the time it took to do them, my friend and I did it in 1.5 hrs and it was the first time we had done cams. BTW, my intake doesnt have bolts so does that mean its not a bolt-on?

Also trannies blowing up in Evo's doesnt mean there weak, its caused by owners that cant drive. Most of the biggest hp Evo's out there still run the stock tranny at 900+whp.
Old 10-12-2006 | 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
they CAN be fast fairly easily, if done correctly.
Thats key
Old 10-12-2006 | 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Well no offense either bro...but I don't think you are in any better position to talk when you only have 18 real posts in over a year. That means you don't contrbute to the other sections, you just hang out and bullshit in Street racing and kills. I hang out here too, but I mainly post in the tech forums and contribute information to help other people.

None taken..And yes I mainly just post in the street kills. I have no reason to post in the other forums, just like almost half the other borad im on I only post in th street kills section. And believe me some of these kill threads can be filled with a bunch of bs but somethimes they are more informative than threads in other areas of the board, so my post's do mean something. BTW..Im not some 18 year old kid that knows nothing about cars
Old 10-12-2006 | 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

00Freak - nice runs. i have alot of friends into dsms/evos and i am aware of their potential, but i am very surprised by how he kept up from a roll.

btw post counts and join dates r irrelevant. either someone knows wut they're talking about or they dont.

everyone keep the good stories coming.
Old 10-12-2006 | 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Basically you think that the Evo and just about any import are the best cars in the world and have more potential than any other car in the world.

Did I say that? No, why do you think I'm on this site retard. Not to read your pathetic fact's about a car you know nothing about, I don't care what you think, no one does, you don't set the standards just cause you don't like a car or don't think it can "hang with an ls1" without major crazy raised boost and all the bolt on's in the world doesn't mean your right, it mean's your a retard and it mean's you should get a clue before you post.
Old 10-12-2006 | 08:55 PM
Teching In

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

That says 5+hours. Thats where I got the info from.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill Joe, i swear you always get all the nice races..
I believe the evo you ran is one of the MR edition ones and he has a couple mods... he just moved here to crestview. he is military also.
Old 10-13-2006 | 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OJmobileII
00Freak - nice runs. i have alot of friends into dsms/evos and i am aware of their potential, but i am very surprised by how he kept up from a roll.

btw post counts and join dates r irrelevant. either someone knows wut they're talking about or they dont.

everyone keep the good stories coming.
Honestly I was surpised also. I thought I was going to smoke this guy b/c when i down shifted I pulled on him real hard quickly looked back he was a car behind already. But I noticed i wasn't pulling on him that much as we were going faster.