Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TA vs 3000GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like vr4's at one point about 7-8 years ago i was gonna trade my 94 vette for one. that being said i really doubt they are mid 13 second cars stock.
to much turbo lad and over 3800 lbs empty weight with 300hp isnt gonna give you mid 13's.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

mid 13's seems 2 good for a car with that much turbo lag and weight
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transAm-98
3000 gt's aren't much of a match for an LS1, especially one with LT's, they are a bit faster then TT 300ZX's, but that's not saying much because i used to be even with CAI/catback TT 300Z's with my stock Taurus SHO.

Those cars can be fast but usually aren't. They are pigs as far imports go. Stock for Stock LS1's win, and AWD can = a good launch but usually does'nt with your average driver.
you need to get some of your facts straight. your taurs sho has no chance against a properly running 300zx. intake /exaust will put a 300zx solidly in the 13's. stage 3 ( intake exaust ecu) will usualy put them in the 12's with traction trapping around 107-110 on a properly running car. now i will say cause of there age alot of them don't run liek they use to. but don't go under estimating them. minor mods make a big difference. i sold my lt1 for a 300zx. so im not trying to give a biased opinion. i love both.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow trans am
you need to get some of your facts straight. your taurs sho has no chance against a properly running 300zx. intake /exaust will put a 300zx solidly in the 13's. stage 3 ( intake exaust ecu) will usualy put them in the 12's with traction trapping around 107-110 on a properly running car. now i will say cause of there age alot of them don't run liek they use to. but don't go under estimating them. minor mods make a big difference. i sold my lt1 for a 300zx. so im not trying to give a biased opinion. i love both.
It was what it was. I'm not a bull shiter and i really don't have any reason to lie. There were 2 300 Z's on the freeway, i decided i wanted to play with them. In a course of about 30 miles i ran them both a handful of times between 60-120 mph, the outcome was the same everytime... DEAD EVEN!! I had great time because it was such a good race. I'm not talking up either car saying they are all the fast. but what it comes down to is the 300 is a pig with more power and the SHO is suprisingly light for a 4 door.

I'm the sort of guy who will race JUST TO RACE. I don't have a lot of ego because there is always someone faster and everyone looses at some point. I tell it how it is and that's it.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transAm-98
It was what it was. I'm not a bull shiter and i really don't have any reason to lie. There were 2 300 Z's on the freeway, i decided i wanted to play with them. In a course of about 30 miles i ran them both a handful of times between 60-120 mph, the outcome was the same everytime... DEAD EVEN!! I had great time because it was such a good race. I'm not talking up either car saying they are all the fast. but what it comes down to is the 300 is a pig with more power and the SHO is suprisingly light for a 4 door.

I'm the sort of guy who will race JUST TO RACE. I don't have a lot of ego because there is always someone faster and everyone looses at some point. I tell it how it is and that's it.
i didn't say you were bull shitting, but don't get your one encounter mixed up with reality. a tt 300zx would walk with or without mods.

ya i guess the 300zx is a pig. so your f-body must be to....
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMmexican
mid 13's seems 2 good for a car with that much turbo lag and weight
why would it have "that much turbo lag"? it has twins and not a big single for a reason.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

You just can't reason with those who think their near stock LS1 is the final solution for anything coming out of Japan.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Launching!

WTF is with the "too much turbo lag" comment?

People seriously need to drive or ride in a 300Z or VR4 before they say that. 3KGTVR4s are running these tiny arsed 9B turbos (so yes, even smaller than the tiny 14B stock 1G DSM turbo). Each one has 1.5L to spool it. The car makes great torque at 3 or so. For its time it makes huge torque at 3 or so. In fact if you look at the average 300HP NA dyno and the 3000GT VR4s, I bet you see peak torque sooner in the VR4 unless the other car (like say an Lt1) has a huge displacement advantage. Even then I bet it's close. People just dont seem to get that turbos tend to give less peaky torque curves than NA overall. Look at a 450WHP H/C car versus a 450WHP STS car for instance. Its gets worse the higher you go too.

And physics owns people. Weight does not mean a whole lot after 3rd gear. Honestly, why do people think LS1s tend to run down supposedly faster cars with better power-to-weights in 4th all the time. Think of the local turbo hatch with a big ego. Weighs 2000 lbs right? Amazing power to weight right? And yet somehow M6 Eddie runs it down in 4th. Why? Its because inertia and rolling resistance is not as important as aerodynamic resistance once you get over about 70 and once your in higher gears. Then its all about brtue power. Guess what weight affects-----rolling resistance and inertia. Ding!

Put simply, 300Zs and even AWD VR4s are well suited to the highway. Their weight hurts them from a dig much more than from a high speed roll. VR4s can make up for that bit with a hard launch. And skip the whole AWD sapps power bit. We all talk in terms of WHP. WHP is WHP. The reason we use WHP here is because it skips all the bullpuckey of factory claims. If you have an AWD car with 300WHP and a RWD car with 300WHP and they are the same weight and gearing and aerodynamicly equal then they will run the exact same with equal drivers. Evo IXs are 260WHP cars. But they weigh less than F-Bodies and have nasty gears. So they are a good matchup usualy. Evo VIIIs are 230WHP cars. So they get passed from a roll.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Why is that a "good one"??

He's probably being serious, obviously you're just pissed because you have a 300ZX

I give up.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

People seriously need to drive or ride in a 300Z or VR4 before they say that. 3KGTVR4s are running these tiny arsed 9B turbos (so yes, even smaller than the tiny 14B stock 1G DSM turbo). Each one has 1.5L to spool it. The car makes great torque at 3 or so. For its time it makes huge torque at 3 or so. In fact if you look at the average 300HP NA dyno and the 3000GT VR4s, I bet you see peak torque sooner in the VR4 unless the other car (like say an Lt1) has a huge displacement advantage. Even then I bet it's close. People just dont seem to get that turbos tend to give less peaky torque curves than NA overall. Look at a 450WHP H/C car versus a 450WHP STS car for instance. Its gets worse the higher you go too.

And physics owns people. Weight does not mean a whole lot after 3rd gear. Honestly, why do people think LS1s tend to run down supposedly faster cars with better power-to-weights in 4th all the time. Think of the local turbo hatch with a big ego. Weighs 2000 lbs right? Amazing power to weight right? And yet somehow M6 Eddie runs it down in 4th. Why? Its because inertia and rolling resistance is not as important as aerodynamic resistance once you get over about 70 and once your in higher gears. Then its all about brtue power. Guess what weight affects-----rolling resistance and inertia. Ding!

Put simply, 300Zs and even AWD VR4s are well suited to the highway. Their weight hurts them from a dig much more than from a high speed roll. VR4s can make up for that bit with a hard launch. And skip the whole AWD sapps power bit. We all talk in terms of WHP. WHP is WHP. The reason we use WHP here is because it skips all the bullpuckey of factory claims. If you have an AWD car with 300WHP and a RWD car with 300WHP and they are the same weight and gearing and aerodynamicly equal then they will run the exact same with equal drivers. Evo IXs are 260WHP cars. But they weigh less than F-Bodies and have nasty gears. So they are a good matchup usualy. Evo VIIIs are 230WHP cars. So they get passed from a roll.
OMG, someone who ACTUALLY knows what the hell they're saying!!

And to the guy who thinks a VR-4 can't hit 13s stock.....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...76.html?page=6

Also, there is a guy who ran a 13.0 in his STOCK '96 Stealth TT, with a whopping 240awhp. It takes an LS1 300rwhp to hit that........which they have stock, IIRC.........
Old 11-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthX3

Also, there is a guy who ran a 13.0 in his STOCK '96 Stealth TT, with a whopping 240awhp. It takes an LS1 300rwhp to hit that........which they have stock, IIRC.........
Well no **** sherlock...the car is AWD!! Thats why it can run a 13.4 - not because of real power, but because it can launch. Hence the reason it trapped at a pathetic 101MPH.

And no stock Stealth runs a 13.0, get the hell out of here with that ****.

Amaxzing how the ZERO POST ricers pile in like flies on **** when their cars get bashed, get a life

My buddy actually used to have on of those cars. It was a 94 3000GT VR4. Biggest piece of ****, he had to replace the turbos (expensive), it had transmission and transfer case problems, and something was always breaking. He finally realized that it was garbage and traded it in for a real car, an 04 Mustang Cobra. Best decision he ever made, he'll never buy another piece of Jap crap.

Last edited by TransAminal; 11-02-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sparetire
WTF is with the "too much turbo lag" comment?

like said b4 i reaaly like vr4's and i was gonna trade my vette for one that was in beautiful condition but all it took was a couple mile drive in the city and onto the freeway and it was a no deal for me. the car simply didnt have the ***** that i though it should.
you say their is no turbo lag i think their was unless i miss took a lazy transmission for turbo lag.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StealthX3
OMG, someone who ACTUALLY knows what the hell they're saying!!

And to the guy who thinks a VR-4 can't hit 13s stock.....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...76.html?page=6

stop lying to to yourself it just not possible for a car weighing over 3800lbs with 300 hp to get any better than high 13's at best. it not a matter of favorites its simply physics.
when someone says stock what does that really mean? it means diferent things to diferent people. stock turbos but turned up boost is stock isnt it or cai and cat back is stock too? and would you ever know if the guy had tuning done and was running race gas?

dont beleive anything you hear and only half of what you see unless you saw it on the internet then dont beleive it at all.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Teching In

My buddy actually used to have on of those cars. It was a 94 3000GT VR4. Biggest piece of ****, he had to replace the turbos (expensive), it had transmission and transfer case problems, and something was always breaking. He finally realized that it was garbage and traded it in for a real car, an 04 Mustang Cobra. Best decision he ever made, he'll never buy another piece of Jap crap.
I have heard vr4s are expensive to maintain, however:
1)DaimlerChrysler owns 34% of Mitsubishi's stock. I'd hardly called it "Jap" anything.
2)Calling all Japanese cars crap is laughable. You could probably knock every company for something, but Toyota is just racking up sales. Pretty sure "jap crap" wouldn't be owning more and more of the automotive market.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVan8504
I have heard vr4s are expensive to maintain, however:
1)DaimlerChrysler owns 34% of Mitsubishi's stock. I'd hardly called it "Jap" anything.
The cars were almost entirely designed and produced by Mitsubishi, it just so happens that Chrysler owns 1/3 of Mitsubishis stock. That doesn't mean it was a Domestic car by any means, its purely Japanese.

Calling all Japanese cars crap is laughable. You could probably knock every company for something, but Toyota is just racking up sales. Pretty sure "jap crap" wouldn't be owning more and more of the automotive market.
They make reliable economy cars and family cars. If you want a performance car to mod though, they just start breaking. This is espeically true with Hondas and Mitsubishis. They just aren't built to take abuse.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice kill, maybe he will think twice before messing with an LS1!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

The car ('96 Stealth TT) was stock down to the airbox. I saw the timeslip on the owner's webpage. It ran 13.01 but I don't remember the speed. It was 28* out at the time, which is partially why it ran such a fast time. It also helps that he is a hell-of-a driver. The guy recently sold it for $20,000. A friend of mine also has a '96 Stealth TT (happens to be the last one made, #57 of 57) and he was offered over $20K, but he turned it down (since he's not even looking to sell it). What is a '96 trans am/camaro worth??
Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Well no **** sherlock...the car is AWD!! Thats why it can run a 13.4 - not because of real power, but because it can launch. Hence the reason it trapped at a pathetic 101MPH.

And no stock Stealth runs a 13.0, get the hell out of here with that ****.

Amaxzing how the ZERO POST ricers pile in like flies on **** when their cars get bashed, get a life

This has to be the same WesmanImanidiotonSN#23456 guy.

So, you think an AWD car that traps 101mph can not run a 13.0? I know I ran a 12.9 at 101mph once a long time ago. That was with "only" a 1.80 60 foot too IIRC. All you need is a mid 1.6X 60 foot which is very easy to do with a good (not even excellent) driver behind the wheel. You are obviously clueless on AWD drag racing.

1G VR4's had aluminum transfer cases. Add alot of weight and hard launching and it's pretty ******* obvious what will eventually happen. The 3000GTVR4 (or GTO) wasn't built to be a drag car. It was a luxury sports GT coupe that stickered close to 50 grand when they came out in the 90's. Mitsubishi obviously improved some of the drivetrain weakness in the later generation models.

Now, this is a FACT. 3kGTVR4's can run mid 13's stock. I've personally seem more than one do so at the track with a good driver. Just because your girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's car ran 17's is irrelevant.

Big up to Sparetire for laying some factual info.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Teching In

The cars were almost entirely designed and produced by Mitsubishi, it just so happens that Chrysler owns 1/3 of Mitsubishis stock. That doesn't mean it was a Domestic car by any means, its purely Japanese.

They make reliable economy cars and family cars. If you want a performance car to mod though, they just start breaking. This is espeically true with Hondas and Mitsubishis. They just aren't built to take abuse.
Mitsubishi has had domestic ties in the past too though. Like with dodge for example (hence the dodge stealth and others). I'm not saying most mitsus arent' built in japan, but it'd kinda surprise me if they were simply because so many cars are being built out of the company's home country.

Some Japanese cars may break, true, but what about the supra?

I think you may just be used to lt and ls series engines. They are very strong engines, but I wouldn't say ALL american engines are as stout.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

I love internet land. People are interested in making sweeping generalizations about a huge variety of cars based on about 3 peices of second hand data. In fact that seems to be more interesting than actually learning anything or, oh, I dunno......

ACTUALLY RUNNING THE DAMN CARS

Its not a religion or a politcal party people. Its different cars with different characteristics. If people stopped acting like it was a cultural war they might get lower blood pressure, have more fun, and generaly not act like douchebags quite so much. Acting as if you must defend some set of car values as if they were biblical principals is ******* stupid.

Facts. Not moral statements. Not indicators of the nature of the universe or of your souls destiny. Just the outcomes of complex physics.

A well driven 3KGT VR4 is a 13's car.
A well driven LS1 tends to be a low 13s car.
The LS1 has the advantage from a roll and often dig with a better power to weight and more power overall.
The VR4 has better traction in less than perfect conditions and is very responsive to mods.
If replacing a couple 9B turbos is expensive for you, then your an idiot who went to the stealership. A 14B is a great upgrade turbo and you can get them for less than 200 a pop in good shape. Less than 100 for a bad one and just get it rebuilt for another 100 or so. Its been that way for years. I have 2 14Bs in my garage right now. One is not mine, but I can likely send them out the door for 300 today.
Turbo AWD 3800LB V6 cars will generally be harder to maintain than a RWD 3500LB NA V8 car. No ****.
3KGTs do not have lag unless your trying to drive one like a 575Ci Marine motor tow truck, and keeping the revs below 3. That would be hard to do even if you tried. The car makes power from 3 to a little below redline in stock form. Its not going to come off idle like an LS1. Thats no surprise, its 2.7L down on displacement and heavier.
I swear there are people who think that anything below 4L or so will be incapable of doing anything more than 15s while once you get over 5L magically you can make a bajillion HP on bolt-ons.

Basicly. The 3KGT is a fast car. In stock form and perfect conditions it can run times similar to a stock LS1, but more often they are about like a stock LT1. But frankly a lot of you people live in internet land where if you have a lid and catback Z you automatically run 13 flat. This is not the case. Hanging out at the strip and seeing what real people with real cars on a real track run would be a huge eye opener for many of you. I watched a C5 ZO6 run a 14.2 a couple weeks ago. Its capable of a full 2 seconds off that in perfect conditions. That driver sucks. Spun all the way. But guess what, thats what it ran. God knows what he would have run in a 3KGT. Probably a high 15 or something. In the real world, a lot of people would be eating a lot of crow because car X which they love gets beat by car Y which they hate which is supposedly so crappy. Import, Domestic, doesnt matter. People would be very surprised.

They do take a bit more to maintain. But lets not kid ourselfs that theres a free lunch. Rear end swaps for an LS1 are not exactly cheap. And a slicks and cam M6 can roach a 10 bolt. A missed 2-3 shift can roach a push rod. A vac leak can blow a turbo motor. A hard launch can eat a T-Case.

Both great cars. Very different. Nice kill.