Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

STOCK FOR STOCK...LT1 vs 97-98 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Really? Bolt-on (modded) Cobras with a stock Elty? Roll race? From a dig? Can you elaborate a little?
the first was a white cobra from a 40-45 roll up to about 100. i had him by about a couple of feet. very close race.

another time was my buddies 97 "rio red" cobra. when he bought it he wouldnt shut up about it being "rio red". haha and how he was going to finally beat my z. he had a 95 mustang gt before, that i would romp on. well he gets this bad boy home and calls me up so he can finally beat me. i actually expected to lose. from a dig the nose of his car was at my door handle at about 100. from a roll it was a little bit closer but i edged him out. later that year his dad bought an 03 cobra. that was the end of my domination over that families mustangs! lol

his 97 cobra was one of the most beautiful cars i have ever seen. i love those hood scoops. they look mean.

i didnt mean to make it sound like i was killing cobras. i was barely beating them, but my car ran high 13s at the track. about the same as the modded cobras.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Now for the Mythbuster.....

96-98 cobras made the same power. 98 had a different tune which required different software to tune it. A tuner had to purchase the 96-97 software separate from the 98. It (the 98's) had more tuning parameters to fine tune the fuel trims, timing tables, etc. Kinda like comparing the 93 ECC (A9L) vs the shitbox of an ECC in the 94-95 mustangs. But between all 3 yrs they all dynoed generally about the same with a few freaks here and there. But they never dynoed the same as a 99-04 2v's. 305 vs 260 fwhp is quite a difference. -Mark
on average they (96-97) dynoed around 260-270rwhp.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tainted
I *think* GMHTP did ana rticle on this witha cobra vs 96SS and the cobra barely won. I think they ended up saying it was mostly a drivers race
I've got that magazine, and the SS won, they said the cobra was like a straight A student and the SS was like the playground bully

Quick Reply: STOCK FOR STOCK...LT1 vs 97-98 Cobra