Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Whats a k24 in the import world?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kill... but know the next k-series might not be so easy.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
I didnt think a simple comment like I made could **** so many perople off. You guys are sore little bitches. I made 1 ******* comment about "HP per liter" and now a whole bunch of you are all butthurt. Stop being such bitches already.

Anyway to the thread starter, good kill man. That honda must be really light or modded good to keep up with you on a 75 shot because 200 HP just aint cutting it in the full weight honda.
Like i said, i didn't think your comment was all that bad. I've heard much worse. And maybe people do get butthurt easily but when you hear it all the time it's to be expected.

And LOTS of domestic guys are just falling over themselves when they read a kill story about an import beating a domestic. Just as many "well it still looks like ****" as "ricers" saying "my shifter broke." Both sides should just be able to respect each other.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DVan8504
Like i said, i didn't think your comment was all that bad. I've heard much worse. And maybe people do get butthurt easily but when you hear it all the time it's to be expected.

And LOTS of domestic guys are just falling over themselves when they read a kill story about an import beating a domestic. Just as many "well it still looks like ****" as "ricers" saying "my shifter broke." Both sides should just be able to respect each other.
I have respect for fast cars,PERIOD. I just mentioned the Hp per Liter thing because I have heard that silly argurement from them plenty of times.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im backing brad up on the hp per liter. what the **** does it matter? a car with say 200 hp has oh hell 96.2hp per liter and a 600hp car with 42.4 hp per liter. lets say the 600hp car wins (obviously) and they bring up "ohhhh but i have more hp per liter!!" well what the **** does it amtter? it sure as **** didnt help you any now did it?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
im backing brad up on the hp per liter. what the **** does it matter? a car with say 200 hp has oh hell 96.2hp per liter and a 600hp car with 42.4 hp per liter. lets say the 600hp car wins (obviously) and they bring up "ohhhh but i have more hp per liter!!" well what the **** does it amtter? it sure as **** didnt help you any now did it?
The argument is only valid for proving the efficiency of the engine. It's not useful for anything else really.

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DVan8504
The argument is only valid for proving the efficiency of the engine. It's not useful for anything else really.

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."
But what the **** are we worried about effiency for anyway? Most of us would rather go fast than be efficient. Thats why we dont drive Hondas in the first place.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Launching!

OK, after reading the first 5 replys...

Get a clue. If you dont know, dont post. I read a lot of the threads in the tech section without posting becuase they know better than I do. Its a good way to operate.

Frist off, the KA24 is genrally and techinicaly a KA24 and its a Nissan motor, not a Honda. It came stock in the 240SXs that typically get at a SR20 2L turbo to be fast.

The KA24 is a (you guessed it) 2.4L. While I have heard on here and in other places that it is cpable of over 500WHP in stock form with forced induction, it is generally not as fast as a Sr20. It can be mean wih some mods though.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

I talked to one his fan buddy's (a fan of his car), but I was drunk so I really dont remember he said something like the bottom end was out of a tsx and the upper out of a rsx. He said the body is a 95 civic hatch and the engine is a brand new 05,06, and that he has made a 12.3 pass on street tires, and on slicks he broke an axle. I don't know how true this is but he want's to run again, because he said I was the only comp he has raced. My best time at the track on juice was 13.1 @109.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by benchpresser356
There must not be any ricers in jolly old england for you to be defending them like that. We deal with them on a regular basis here and they are annoying.
Use Google and look up Chav and Chav motor then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
ok man im not the one quoting "hp per liter" LOL, you sound like the one getiing all jumped up, not me. Let my nutz go.

I guess Im a ricer then since you say so.
No it's just your neanderthal mentality that bhp/litre is a ricer thing, even though it has existed far longer than ricers have.

I mean YOU and every other American uses the same metric, but you try and disguise it with stupid bs like "no replacement for displacement" or "I only care about going fast".

It really does come accross as the smelly baby trying to force the blame on another for crapping all over the floor.

Take 3 engines:

-5.7 TPI V8
-5.7 LT1 V8
-5.7 LS1 V8

ALL are the same displacement! Yet they produce staggeringly different amounts of HP. This is due to bhp/litre.

So it is a useful metric.

To further this, would you really want a 10 litre engine that's only capable of 25bhp/litre (250bhp) or a 2.5 llitre engine that can manage 120bhp/litre (300bhp).

A ricer may claim bhp/litre but only a FOOL will think it's a ricer only comment.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

I don't know where this is going, but one thing I don't like is when the person I'm racing give's me excuese's, usually b/c there stupid excuese's. If I race someone and I loose I recognize that I lost and say good race and you'r car is fast. Or if I somehow think I could beat him on another run, I ask'em if they want to try it one more time, not give a stupid exuese like my car has a odd digit on the odometer, that's why I lost.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
Yeah but no offense meant but thats a stupid example, because you are hating on the physics/logic just because someone has used it against you.

I mean if a Ricer told you the Sun was hot, would you then disagree and call it a stupid theory?

And not all 200bhp cars have good specific output (bhp/litre). Same as not all 600bhp motors have poor specific outputs.

A good DOHC motor will ALWAYS have more potential to produce better specific output than a regualr OHV. This is PHYSICS and is a PROEVEN point.

This allows smaller displacement DOHC units to produce the same HP as large OHV motors. Or for the same displacement produce more HP.

Take the Ford 4.6 DOHC motor, this is FAR from the pinnicle of what DOHC technology is capable of. But running on pump fuel and FI the 4.6 will match what a 5.7 (LS1) with FI can manage. (REMEMBER this is on PUMP fuel).

But it's specific output which allows this to happen.

Such things as curtain area and valve train control are the key factors.

So no bhp/litre is not a stupid or even ricer'sih metric. It can be very handy.

If you want an example closer to home, take the LS1. A pretty mean h/c setup which is still streetable will generally be capable of ~95bhp/litre. Any more and it really will be track use only.

This allows us to work out an expected HP target for various displacements:

-5.7 litres (Ls1) = ~540bhp (high 400's rwhp)
-6.0 litres (Ls2) = ~570bhp (high 400/low 500rwhp)
-402ci (6.6 litres) = ~627bhp (mid/high 500rwhp)
-427ci (7.0 litres) = ~665bhp (high 500/low 600rwhp)

If someone has a target HP or power to weight ratio they desire being able to work out the specific output (bhp/litre) can help decide what displacement is require, whether n/a or FI is required or if an addition of nitrous will be needed to achieve the target.

It may not always be posted or claimed as bhp/litre, but there really is no other way or working out expected HP figures. And we are ALL guilty for wanting to know how much HP our motors produce and how much more than can produce with 'x' modification.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gmpower
I don't know where this is going, but one thing I don't like is when the person I'm racing give's me excuese's, usually b/c there stupid excuese's.
I agree, but usually the most stupid thing is the person giving the excuses. Personally I just laugh at such occasions. If they want to beleive such rubbish it's up to them.

Originally Posted by gmpower
If I race someone and I loose I recognize that I lost and say good race and you'r car is fast.
Totally

I've lost plenty of times in the past. But hay that's racing, if I won every single race it just wouldn't be fun or challenging.

Racing is about the unknown and man/women and machine working as one to try and beat the opponents.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Well said.
You win some, you lose some.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Talking about horsepoer, that guy said it was tuned for 260whp. How true this is, I dont know.
Any idea's of what he might have done?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Teching In

SpareTire..it's the K24 motor. A Honda motor. I believe the block comes from the CRV (or one of the newer Acura cars )- I don't recall exactly but there's a local buddy running 11.1's at 124mph with his. Built high compression NA in a 92 Civic hatchback with full interior. Not a typo. I said naturally aspirated 4 banger. So yeah..they have a little potential. Later..
Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah Honda motors do seem to be pretty solid. I think some of the HP claims from modded ones are a little OTT though.

There's a Civic Type R that runs in the Castrol Challenge, last run I saw they where trapping 126mph. That's c6 Z06 terrirtory. Not sure of the mods though.

But as far as HP goes, the Group 2 BTCC Honda's are only able to produce 270bhp starting with the street version of the engine. The S2000 makes 237bhp, so it shows how highly tuned it is from the factory.

The top level touring cars only make a tad over 300bhp from 2.0 litres n/a these are fully built engines costing over 100k so I really doubt that many street motors get that close in reality.

With FI it's a different ball game though, we all know what Evo's/Sti's and Cossies are capable of with the right mods.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by diambo4life
SpareTire..it's the K24 motor. A Honda motor. I believe the block comes from the CRV (or one of the newer Acura cars )- I don't recall exactly but there's a local buddy running 11.1's at 124mph with his. Built high compression NA in a 92 Civic hatchback with full interior. Not a typo. I said naturally aspirated 4 banger. So yeah..they have a little potential. Later..
They said something like the bottom end was out of a tsx and the upper out of a rsx. 06
Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Teching In

^You are correct, that is a very good motor. It is sometimes called the K24/K20. I have witnessed a K24/K20 with only bolt-ons go 11.5 in a CRX.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire
OK, after reading the first 5 replys...

Get a clue. If you dont know, dont post. I read a lot of the threads in the tech section without posting becuase they know better than I do. Its a good way to operate.

Frist off, the KA24 is genrally and techinicaly a KA24 and its a Nissan motor, not a Honda. It came stock in the 240SXs that typically get at a SR20 2L turbo to be fast.

The KA24 is a (you guessed it) 2.4L. While I have heard on here and in other places that it is cpable of over 500WHP in stock form with forced induction, it is generally not as fast as a Sr20. It can be mean wih some mods though.
the uppety man is right. i had that engine in my first gen altima, but just forgot until now

EDIT: after reading some more, apparently an 'A' was added. k24, not ka24, gah.