Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
didnt the some mini coopers get recalled?........soemthing about water getting on the block and causing over heating problems if i remeber correctly

you do not remember correctly, a few (less than .1%) of the 02's had bad power stearing pumps, they would leak, sometimes (in .1%) cause a small engine fire. A simple fix, and late run 02's and on are fine.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Teching In

yea theres nothing wrong with mini coopers....
Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Mini Coopers are pretty neat lil cars, and very quick for what they are.

MY uncle races porsche's in AutoX and said that they are banned from his Auto X park because they flip over like a ************ due to their very short wheelbase.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
Mini Coopers are pretty neat lil cars, and very quick for what they are.

MY uncle races porsche's in AutoX and said that they are banned from his Auto X park because they flip over like a ************ due to their very short wheelbase.

Never heard of that? They autocross them all of the place in Cali, in fact, I have seen them put the smack down on some porches.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

I dunno...thats just from "hearsay" from my uncle. Maybe he was refering to the 1gen coopers.

If I were to own one I would get a silver with black stripes "S" cooper. I dont necessarily label them as a femine car, my gf drives a 02 black beetle and wants a cooper really bad.

My experience driving them: They are very well built cars, and handling is pretty good thanks to the electrical assisted rack and pinnion(correct me if im wrong). They look small on the outside but once you get inside of them they are rather very spacious. The sound system in those cars are phenominal due to the harmon/kardon system, and the leather interior is very soft and well crafted. They are also rather cheap for the craftsmanship of the car. Wouldnt mind driving one for a daily driver.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I dunno...thats just from "hearsay" from my uncle. Maybe he was refering to the 1gen coopers.

If I were to own one I would get a silver with black stripes "S" cooper. I dont necessarily label them as a femine car, my gf drives a 02 black beetle and wants a cooper really bad.

My experience driving them: They are very well built cars, and handling is pretty good thanks to the electrical assisted rack and pinnion(correct me if im wrong). They look small on the outside but once you get inside of them they are rather very spacious. The sound system in those cars are phenominal due to the harmon/kardon system, and the leather interior is very soft and well crafted. They are also rather cheap for the craftsmanship of the car. Wouldnt mind driving one for a daily driver.

Yup,

Tons of head room, more than in my Titan.

The stereo is amazing, plain and simple, best car audio from the factory I have ever heard.

Its a killer dailt driver, great MPG's and not that slow at tall :-)

Well built indeed, and holds resale value better than any car in america other than the toyota prius (based on consumer reports November).
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I actually like the little mini's. If the wife wanted one I wouldn't hesitate to get it. Like stated before, they are very well built, get great gas milage & will kick a honda's ***. What more could you ask for if lookin for a small compact daily driver.

You gotta give credit where its due. No matter who the manufacture, if the car is built well & serves its purpose there is no reason to put it down.

The people tryin to compare it to the LSx cars are the tools, not the mini owners.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing against the mini's but there are some serious myths in this thread. A mini will not take an LSX car (especially a Vette) in the twisties (road course or autocross) unless the track is a figure 8 with the cones 10 feet apart. The mini's are just so easy to drive and small they seem like they handle extremely well.

As for them taking Porches at the track. I hope they wer old 914's or may be 944's otherwise the person driving was horrible. Most Porches aren't the easiest car to drive like an M3 but with the hp to weight and handling would kill a Mini.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dal1as
As for them taking Porches at the track. I hope they wer old 914's or may be 944's otherwise the person driving was horrible. Most Porches aren't the easiest car to drive like an M3 but with the hp to weight and handling would kill a Mini.

True, but it has ALOT to do with the driver.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the mini's are a REALLY well built car and they handle incredibly well. That's a European for ya, put a lot of engineering into a little goofy looking car and then pay for the engineering.

Nothing like having to respect a goofy looking car. New Beetle's Turno Deisels are pretty cool too.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

The wife talked me into looking at one with here and I'll be damn how much room you have in there and how fun they are to drive. I was whipping in and out of places through traffic making my way to the front of the pack that the elongated f-body would never allow me to do.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Check out this post.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/11/m...for-new-model/
I'm seriously considering picking up the new one when it comes out as a daily driver. They're cutting the Supercharger in favor of a Turbo! Now that will be a to zip through traffic and get mid 30's mpg.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Nothing against the mini's but there are some serious myths in this thread. A mini will not take an LSX car (especially a Vette) in the twisties (road course or autocross) unless the track is a figure 8 with the cones 10 feet apart. The mini's are just so easy to drive and small they seem like they handle extremely well.

Think so?
Look into SCCA autoX times of coopers vs. porches.....
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I take some pretty harsh corners in my Scion that I don't feel comfortable in the Z06, I mean I am talking 3 wheels, powerskidding 3 feet perpendicular on the road.

Those tiny cars "feel" a lot easier to drive and you can definately change lanes a lot faster. They are nimble but the Z06 is designed for 150 mph just like the Porshe. Mini's are urban cars and definately excel in that environment.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

is xB the toaster looking car? The boxy scion?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

is xB the toaster looking car? The boxy scion?
Oh, yeah baby!

We got it for the 1.5 mile 15 minute drive to and from work.

It takes forever to get from on base to the VA hospital in Albuquerque. The C5 auto only got 4 miles to the gallon and never went over 40 mph (90% of the time never over 35 mph). The xB gets 22 mpg in the same circumstance and I don't care that my wife hits ever damn curb in every damn parking lot.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Default Secure about manhood?

Originally Posted by CTSVSL65AMG
My wifes Cooper S ran a 13.9 with minimal mods to the blower, its a fun car. I am secure in my manhood, dont need a V8 to remind me I'm a man.

I never raced it against an F body, but I have beat Gt's in it.
Are you saying your wife is more of a man than you? j/k
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Oh, yeah baby!

We got it for the 1.5 mile 15 minute drive to and from work.

It takes forever to get from on base to the VA hospital in Albuquerque. The C5 auto only got 4 miles to the gallon and never went over 40 mph (90% of the time never over 35 mph). The xB gets 22 mpg in the same circumstance and I don't care that my wife hits ever damn curb in every damn parking lot.

No need for excuses!

I know those cars are well built aswell.

My friends Scion xA hung with a GTI with max boost(from factory-22psi) on all motor stock.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need for excuses!

My friends Scion xA hung with a GTI with max boost(from factory-22psi) on all motor stock.
Damn that is pretty good.

The auto's have absolutely no *****.

Even with 4-2-1 headers, a new manifold, exhaust, high-flow cats, a vortech supercharger (non-intercooled), and programming the A4 is slower than the NA bolt-on M5 from what I hear.

That and the powerband is utter garbage. The "power" is only built at very high RPMs and by the time you actually get there you have to slow down because you are going to fast.

Overdrive is annoying because it can't hold speed uphill at 75mph so you have to punch it and it downshifts, BUT when you let off the gas because you hit speed as you stop accelerating the car goes right back into OD which you then have to punch it and go back to 3rd.

Luckily it has a push button OD off button.

They are sorta garbage without the cruise control though. It has traction control which it worthless with a car with only 106 peak hp but it doesn't have cruise control.

So for the .
Old 12-14-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need for excuses!

What year GTI was it? manual or auto? what mods?

Quick Reply: mini cooper