Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Looky....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amn, there is some Lightning haters in here LOL. Everyone needs to get off this dudes back, he just posted a vid and the L bashing ensued. They are awesome trucks and stock for stock, yes an LS1 will win, mod for mod, yes an LS1 will win, but having a L is something special that those who have never owned one wouldnt understand. If this guy was just worried about speed, then he would not have bought his truck, he has a very capable ride that hit 11s, and I personally give him props. I miss my Lightning every day of the week, even though my Mustang would walk football fields on it, they are fast for what they are, a heavy azz truck. Oh, and Im pretty sure all of you bashing have never ridden in a Lightning, that 450+ ft-lbs. of TQ =
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE
you have 570rwhp and 700+ torque, and you trap 114. I trapped that bolt ons.
Were you hauling 2x4s and 6 bags of mulch?

Last edited by 04Terminator; 12-11-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and just for some comparisons for you guys, at our crappy little local 1/8th mile track my L hit a 9.16 on a 85+ degree day. This track was absolute crap though and every drag racer that raced there said at any other track their cars were .2 to .4 tenths quicker(track actually goes uphill). My friends 04 5 speed Mach 1 hit 9.20 stock(FstMach04 on this board). That same friends 00 L with only exhaust hit 9.18. His 02 Z06 went 8.60s stock. Another friend of ours with a 01 Z28, only mods were Lid, cutout, and springs, went a 8.98. These were our best times in all these cars and the L did really well considering all it had was a filter and catback.

Last edited by SilverStang00; 12-11-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Job.

Almost 5000 LBS and the aerodynamics of a cinderblock and in the 11's.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it come a long way. At first when I was just running 12.9 my friend that had a 99 TransAm would always come around me around 90ish. I'd always get him out of the hole, then up top he would just come back on me. Damn LS1 top end!
Honestly, i posted my weight cause that's kinda heavy for a race lightning. 4880lbs includes me, my bed cover, tailgate, and Lightning rims. Most Lightnings will reomove any excess weight before they run. I was happy to be the only FULL Weight, running on Nittos, Lightning (@ LightningFest 2006) to be in the 11s or faster group.

Thankyou to those that have said your positive comments.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
and I can do the same with a First gen mustang..what's your point? You dont' even know what a damn supercharger looks like, and you are talking crap?

If some of you can't respect a DAMN truck running high 11s...you are ignorant, arrogant, brand loyal, or just plain dumb.

As for his sig..I am sure he put that in there to say it as a "yep, high 11s and that is at full rce weight'.........You all dont' talk crap to OTHERs that post their race weight. Why are you giving him crap about it?........given that question..I say you are threatened.
i don't know what a supercharger looks like, huh? you sure about that? where do you get this information from, or is it just your try at a bad insult?

i don't give a **** what the automobile is, i give a **** who the whiny person is driving it. i don't care if it's an 8 second truck, if the person's going to whine that if it wasn't so heavy it would be a 7 second truck, they shouldn't have bought it. maybe your dumb *** should try to comprehend before you post.

i don't give a **** what the guy has done to it. the point is, he's bragging about a truck he dumped tens of thousands of dollars into that can beat stock and bolt-on LS1's, then bitches about the weight. the guy's a whiner. if you can't see that, you're an ignorant *****. if you can see that, you're still a *****.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i don't know what a supercharger looks like, huh? you sure about that? where do you get this information from, or is it just your try at a bad insult?

i don't give a **** what the automobile is, i give a **** who the whiny person is driving it. i don't care if it's an 8 second truck, if the person's going to whine that if it wasn't so heavy it would be a 7 second truck, they shouldn't have bought it. maybe your dumb *** should try to comprehend before you post.

i don't give a **** what the guy has done to it. the point is, he's bragging about a truck he dumped tens of thousands of dollars into that can beat stock and bolt-on LS1's, then bitches about the weight. the guy's a whiner. if you can't see that, you're an ignorant *****. if you can see that, you're still a *****.
I might of missed something, but I dont remember him "whining" about the weight at all, unless you mean by posting it in his sig thats whining. If so then whatever, if all Fbody guys go around whining about their weak a$$ 10 bolts, then why do they buy them? I think he is more proud than anything to have broke 11s with a full weight truck, and is simply giving that info with his time. As he said he was the only Lightning at that event that had that time, without weight reduction, and who would'nt be proud of that? I say more power to him, I would love to have an 11 sec. Lightning.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SShunter
Yeah, it come a long way. At first when I was just running 12.9 my friend that had a 99 TransAm would always come around me around 90ish. I'd always get him out of the hole, then up top he would just come back on me. Damn LS1 top end!
Honestly, i posted my weight cause that's kinda heavy for a race lightning. 4880lbs includes me, my bed cover, tailgate, and Lightning rims. Most Lightnings will reomove any excess weight before they run. I was happy to be the only FULL Weight, running on Nittos, Lightning (@ LightningFest 2006) to be in the 11s or faster group.

Thankyou to those that have said your positive comments.
I know what you mean about that pesky top end, I would always rip out of the whole a couple of lengths on my friends Z28, then he would reel me in and pass around 65-70 and continue to pull. If we raced from a roll, then it was over from the get go
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

the only ***** i see around here is you
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
I might of missed something, but I dont remember him "whining" about the weight at all, unless you mean by posting it in his sig thats whining. If so then whatever, if all Fbody guys go around whining about their weak a$$ 10 bolts, then why do they buy them? I think he is more proud than anything to have broke 11s with a full weight truck, and is simply giving that info with his time. As he said he was the only Lightning at that event that had that time, without weight reduction, and who would'nt be proud of that? I say more power to him, I would love to have an 11 sec. Lightning.
bad analogy. how do 10-bolts add weight? they're the lightest rears for our car and in automatics last into 10 second passes. i'll refer you to his sig which he makes public as a pre-excuse to a loss. also, i'll refer you to post #13.
Originally Posted by SStheBest
the only ***** i see around here is you
whatever you say, captain dipshit. just remember i didn't start it i'm just pointing out the obvious.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SShunter
Its 4880 w/ me in it.

The point is I run the times in a fullsize Truck not a car that you can see 4-5 of them driving down the street. As is the same w/ a mustang. I'd rather be Big Slow and unique, than sleek fast and doing the same thing as countless others.

Why is it you feel so threatend by me? I posted a video of me racing an LS1 against a few cars and you get all upset. Some of you LS1 guys really are jumpy aren't ya.

Sit down, chill, go out for a drive, and return when you calm down.
Congrats on running some good times in a quite heavy brick. That much torque has got to be fun.

I don't think it's a matter of anyone feels threatened. It's most likely a matter of you coming on a GM based forum with a name like SShunter (I imagine meaning Silverado SS or Camaro SS) post vids of you beating LSX vehicles. Every one of your posts on this forum has been in basically anit-LSX threads. I personally don't think the LSX engines are the be all and end all of engines, however it's my current powerplant and I'm here with this group modding and enjoying it. I can't figure out what it is with people with other than LSX vehicles coming on here posting a story/vid or whatever about beating on LS1's.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I somehow missed the whining by the L owner. ChacoTaco, you seem to be going off over nuthin'.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
I somehow missed the whining by the L owner. ChacoTaco, you seem to be going off over nuthin'.
i was simply backing up someone who mentioned it in the beginning. i agreed with him. trolling on an LSx forum, posting a vid of a lightning with tens of thousands of dollars dumped into it barely beating a mild bolt-on LS1 car, then making an announcement in their sig that their car is heavy is setting them up for it. if your very highly modded lightning can barely beat a bolt-on LS1 car, i guess you have to make an announcement to everyone that the truck is heavy, since we didn't know it was heavy already, right? it's cowardice. if you're going to troll on a forum, don't act like a coward when you do it.

by the way, i suggest you reread the first page, along with everyone else bitching at me, and educate yourselves on who started the argument. thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

bad analogy. how do 10-bolts add weight? they're the lightest rears for our car and in automatics last into 10 second passes. i'll refer you to his sig which he makes public as a pre-excuse to a loss. also, i'll refer you to post #13.

whatever you say, captain dipshit. just remember i didn't start it i'm just pointing out the obvious.

I used that analogy to show that there are legitimate setbacks on both vehicles. I know when I race an Fbody with the stock rear, that they cant launch there car to its full potential, because of the fragile as glass 10 bolt. And I know that if I raced a Lightning, weight is going to be a big factor in me winning/losing. What Im saying is that I dont go around bragging that I beat an Fbod on the stock rear if I absolutely rape it out of the hole, cuz I know that part of their car was holding them back. The same goes for a L at full weight, I dont glorify the kill, cuz I know that at full weight, they are at a huge disadvantage. Saying he posted it in his sig as pre-excuse is pretty low and I think completely wrong. These trucks are heavy, plain and simple, and he has accomplished alot with a full weight Lightning. If it was a GTO(pigs) at full weight posting kills, he would not be getting harped on like this. Not trying to start an argument with you dude, but you were out of line and I dont think the thread starter deserved all the **** that was bein thrown his way, so as a former L owner I stepped in to defend their honor LOL, J/K. We are all enthusiasts here, why cant we just give the guy props for having a fast truck?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was simply backing up someone who mentioned it in the beginning. i agreed with him. trolling on an LSx forum, posting a vid of a lightning with tens of thousands of dollars dumped into it barely beating a mild bolt-on LS1 car, then making an announcement in their sig that their car is heavy is setting them up for it. if your very highly modded lightning can barely beat a bolt-on LS1 car, i guess you have to make an announcement to everyone that the truck is heavy, since we didn't know it was heavy already, right? it's cowardice. if you're going to troll on a forum, don't act like a coward when you do it.

by the way, i suggest you reread the first page, along with everyone else bitching at me, and educate yourselves on who started the argument. thanks
Never said you started it brother, your posts were more harsh than the others thats all. Go ahead and get bent out of shape if you want , but all he did was give stats on his ride just like we do with ours. And saying he's cowardice? Come on dude
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Yeah, come on ChocoTaco, you have been out of line throughout this whole thread. Just swallow your pride, and congratulate the dude. It IS a fast truck, and yes, everybody knows it's heavy. But so what if he wants to put that in his sig. I might do that too, to emphasize the point to people who maybe would look at 500+ RWHP and 700+ RWTQ and think, "My goodness, he's only running high 11's?" Now for all the people who keep saying, why did you buy it if it weighs so much...? That is so ignorant. Maybe the guy really loves Lightnings. If I really love a car, or truck, I will probably own it, laying aside the other factors such as weight or whether or not anybody else likes it or not. I'm sure he bought it because he loves his truck. They really are nice trucks. He's got it running VERY fast for a nearly 5000lb vehicle. Compare apples to apples. I bet there's not many 5000lb vehicles on the road that can come anywhere near him. And now he's running with modded LS1's that weigh over 1000lbs less than him? That IS pretty impressive. If you add weight to an LS1 to equal nearly what he does, he would walk the LS1 by bus lengths. So bottom line, I say comparing a Lightning to an LS1 and the Lightning coming out the victor is pretty impressive in my book. Congrats man, just don't brag too much, for this IS a GM forum and I could understand if people get upset if all you do is trash talk LS1's. I love LS1's, but facts or facts. Just don't get carried away with them!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

how much did you spend on your truck to run 11.9's? because you can do it in an f-body for about $3,000. you can buy an LS1 f-body and mod it to beat your truck for $10,000, all while getting better mileage and staying naturally aspirated. what's your point?
wow....who cares, what can you do in your f-bod that he can't in his truck, he can run under 12's...you can't, he can tow whatever he wants...you can't. and if you want to compare vehicles how about you compare the usefullness of his truck over your f-bod....you lose, now stop hating...and please don't try to comeback with a gay useless remark.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Tech Resident

for the last time, i don't really give a **** about the truck, the race or anything else. i was just backing someone else up and you guys chose to jump me instead. i'm not swallowing anything, especially pride. i don't take back what i said, either.

and a 10-bolt is not at all like a heavy truck. the 10-bolt is a design flaw. the truck's weight is not. a truck is supposed to be heavy. a 350 stock horsepower car isn't supposed to have a toothpick rear.

i just hate racing excuses. i don't care if he beat an LS1. i don't care if he beats every LS1 car ever made. good for him. just don't try to make an excuse as to why you didn't beat them even more, or even worse, don't have a pre-made excuse ready for all to see. i just hate excuses.

i lost to a lightning at atco. i got my *** handed to me. i didn't say "i lost but i have 2.73's. if i didn't, i coulda beat him". i don't announce my gearing as a shortcoming. accept i have 2.73's, i don't have a problem with that, and if i lose, whatever. it's just a race. i actually like my 2.73's. good gas mileage and pulls nice up top. whatever.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
+1

Chill out man...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Wow what a bunch of **** suckers. I never herd him whine about the weight, he has a fast truck and thats cool I presonaly think they are the 2nd coolest truck behind the SRT-10 of course. Quit being whiney little bitches just because your car is better than his truck.