Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me v.s. Mercedes Benz CLS55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
I gotta be truthful i ******* despise those god damned euro performance cars, sure they got a nice interior and what not, but for what they cost, id want them tobe faster. all i hear about is "M5 this" and "AMG that".....and neither is still faster then a brand new z06, and in some instances, the C5 z06s and even my cobra ALL IN STOCK TRIM are just as fast, if not faster. Its defnitely a matter of taste, and sophistication. all that power and STILL a limit of 155MPH....yea, by defualt, a stock z06 c5 could hand all of them there asses on the 1/4 and a top speed run, and the sl65amg? new z06 will eat it, for less money. woo hoo nice interior...doesnt feel so nice when domestic garbage walks all over it does it?

god i hate euro cars, my rant is over
I agree the C6 z06 is a way fab car. But seriously comparing these cars on 100% performance comparison is one pretty dumb thing to do.

There's so much more to it than you let on, not too mention half the reason the price of these cars is so high is because the USD$ is pretty weak against the £ and Euro.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
**** the z06. if you see a z06 driving down the road most people will be oh look a corevette thats nice. but when you see soemthing like a twin turbo V12 sl65AMG you go OH ****!

Actually they will probably say "Oh look, another mercedes, haven't seen one of those in a while." Most people don't know much about cars, so when they see one like an E55 or SL65 they won't even know what they are looking at. Now a Ferrari or Lambo, that's a little diferent.

OP, nice death.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Your right, retarted doesnt even describe it when the AMG owners get upstaged by my "Slowbra" at the local car club and claim i have nitrous somewere.
Right, because other than a passing interest in your car because you beat them in a straight line for a few seconds, they are about to sell their cars because you outran them in your modified 25k car?

Oh its not that i dont think that there fast, cause they are but...they just dont impress me any more then the american cars and im far from biased, and when i saw that the Sl65 AMG was running 11.XX i wasnt all to impressed despite the fact motor trend said one of its pros was "gods personal engine".
Because you personally own a couple of factory stock cars that make 650hp and 750ft lbs of torque, with a five year warranty? So that stuff just isnt impressive?

then again, i own an 11 second range car and STILL think its slow. im just not impressed by them really, its a personal thing. maybe you dont know what its like to own a car that can hang with some of the nastiest AMGs STOCK (03 cobra or c5 z06) for a fraction of the price and pull similar numbers. Oh wait, you DO own one of those cars.
Correct, I lay wood to pretty much everything. But I can still appreciate those cars for what they are.

what are you smoking? I know i know its not about money when it comes to those cars but im just not impressed. any c5 z06 owners wanna chime in on how bad theyve ruined AMG owners days.....stock? i remb a little over a year ago they couldnt even get the modded sl65s into the 10s....did they get them there yet and dont even TRY to pull out some speacialty benz like Renntech or somehing, cause im talking about mods people do themselfs.
Errr.................just a renntech ECU for those cars (and yes you can install it yourself) will give you something like a 10% increase in power and torque across the board.

Dont be a fanboy, try and appreciate cars for what they are and what they can do, instead of just blindly humping your badge or brand of choice.

And fyi, I have considerably driving time in just about every kind of benz, AMG and Non Amg. So I defend them from personal experience.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Nice run, ICEMAN... I got my *** waffle-stomped from a dig by an SL65 AMG... . You really dont feel as bad loosing to a $100,000+ car, then loosing to any other car out there, supercars being the exception noted. But if you think about it, those SMG sedans are 4-door supercars. Think about it... a STATION WAGON that hits a 4.2 0-60 bone stock!!!! Hell i EXPECT to loose to any AMG that has the digits 5 or 6 in the car's badge, with the exception of the SUV... that was a nice blow to that guys ego... I work in Danville/Blackhawk, California. I believe the only area in the US with a higher AMG per Capita is Beverly Hills...

Anyway. Good run. Time for more mods!!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have raced two different all stock CL65 AMG's on two different occasions and was just barely beat (around a fender)by both of them. Me putting ~420RWHP to the ground on all motor with the car in the sig. Even though I'm slow on all motor I was still impressed with how fast that four door sedan was. Props to the cl65 AMG.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
Nice run, ICEMAN... I got my *** waffle-stomped from a dig by an SL65 AMG... . You really dont feel as bad loosing to a $100,000+ car, then loosing to any other car out there, supercars being the exception noted. But if you think about it, those SMG sedans are 4-door supercars. Think about it... a STATION WAGON that hits a 4.2 0-60 bone stock!!!! Hell i EXPECT to loose to any AMG that has the digits 5 or 6 in the car's badge, with the exception of the SUV... that was a nice blow to that guys ego... I work in Danville/Blackhawk, California. I believe the only area in the US with a higher AMG per Capita is Beverly Hills...

Your forgetting Newport Beach CA. I work up at UCLA alot and I'm around Beverly hills and Bel Air all the time. I tend to see way more exotics and AMG's models in the Newport beach area.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Launching!

CL=2 door.
SL=2 door hardtop convertible
S=4 door.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

I got to see an AMG in action when my car was bone stock. I was rolling down the highway at about 100MPH because it was empty, and all of a sudden, this AMG comes up and passes me like I was going slow. I was going to try and catch up, but at 120, I gave it up because he was just a dot way down the freeway.

Can't wait till the next time I run into one...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pakisho
Right, because other than a passing interest in your car because you beat them in a straight line for a few seconds, they are about to sell their cars because you outran them in your modified 25k car?

Because you personally own a couple of factory stock cars that make 650hp and 750ft lbs of torque, with a five year warranty? So that stuff just isnt impressive?

Correct, I lay wood to pretty much everything. But I can still appreciate those cars for what they are.

Errr.................just a renntech ECU for those cars (and yes you can install it yourself) will give you something like a 10% increase in power and torque across the board.

Dont be a fanboy, try and appreciate cars for what they are and what they can do, instead of just blindly humping your badge or brand of choice.

And fyi, I have considerably driving time in just about every kind of benz, AMG and Non Amg. So I defend them from personal experience.
Also i knew someone who had there Sl65 ecu flashed last year, im assuming it was renntech, and still only could get it to a 11.3 or so....which means its running around 11.7-8 stock i would assume? your sure its just an ecu upgrade and nothing else? only one i ever saw was an ACTUAL renntech car in the 10s running 10.8. I will admit, dropping nearly a second from an ecu flash IS impressive.

Oh im FAR from afan boy, check my threads around here where ive defended 50 trim SRT4s and Evos. I just think that Euro cars are really over rated. Ive driven some myself a few AMGs. the first benz i ever drove was an sl500, great car, but my 94 cobra with some boltons could toss it fairly easly when i had my run with it. my ex gfs mother worked for mercedes and they knew i wasnt the type to beat on cars so they actually let me rip a few of the AMGs with someone in the car of course. and yes, the e55 would be in my driveway as a DD any day.

Im not blindly humping anything, and outside of an ACTUAL renntech car, ive never seen an sl65 in the tens. twin turbo v12 that cant break the tens with some mods? Yea....im gonna have to just say this....

Great interior, wonderful ride,beautiful design, great handling.....still woudl take the Z06 and sacrifice the interior part a little bit. but since im now bringing a modified sl65 into the fray, im more then sure you could buy a custom interior yourself for the z06 if you really got that kind of money and it bothered u that much....after you showed an sl65 whats REALLY good on the highway.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ I dont think anyone is arguing with you on these points, man. YES: Z06 uber alles.. I just tend to think the BMW/MBZ dont really target their cars to the "racing" demographic. These are luxury cars, not race cars. Im sure if AMG WANTED to make a Z06 killer, they would. Hell, just imagine the "SLK 65 AMG" or "CLK 65 AMG": both of those cars are MUCH smaller than the SL, or S class... that would leave many Z06 drivers crying... But AMG doesnt need to compete with Corvette in top-speed runs. The drivers of those cars... dont JUST care about top speed, or ET in the 1320... food for thought.

..sorry for the late reply, been offline for a few days.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

I got surprised by a c55 amg the other day. that thing pulled much harder than i expected it too. those are some well made cars, theyre too quiet tho. or maybe im just too loud, lol
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

I love this CLS 55AMG because it looks nice can be very fast with a badass sound. When i had so much money it were my dream family car Without a limiter

Bud i am a poor man,so it is only a dream
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

I just think that Euro cars are really over rated.
In my mind, a difference between European cars and American cars is that the premium European models have much higher performance than the Americans. There is no Lincoln, and until recently there was no Cadillac, that can run with a Mercedes AMG or BMW M Series.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well there still isn't stock for stock.

I mean a BMW M5 has 500bhp and pisses all over a 300c SRT-8 in a straight line and twice in the corners.

I know there's a price difference, but lets say sod the price is there an alternative to the 300c that can put up more of a fight regardless of price?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Teching In

My buddies gf worked at Luxury Motors right out side the city of Chicago. This place sells only luxury euro and british cars: Benz, BMW, Bently, Rolls Royce etc.. What she was telling us that the people buying the amg's and the m series bimmers really didn't care about how fast it was but was based more on status and how much it cost.

I don't really think they buy these cars to mod and go race with. Sure they are nice and fast but I really don't care how fast these car's are. Plus theres not that many out there. Great you spent $125 grand on a car. But to mod these things is ridiculous and if they break are ridiculous to repair. Not my cup of tea.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

It's certainly true that most MB owners, including AMG owners, don't mod their cars but there actually is a small modding community out there. The group is tiny compared to the LSx modding community, or course.

The E Class AMG owners are probably the most active and here is one of their forums: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46.

There are similar BMW and Porsche groups but I know less about them.

Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
My buddies gf worked at Luxury Motors right out side the city of Chicago. This place sells only luxury euro and british cars: Benz, BMW, Bently, Rolls Royce etc.. What she was telling us that the people buying the amg's and the m series bimmers really didn't care about how fast it was but was based more on status and how much it cost.

I don't really think they buy these cars to mod and go race with. Sure they are nice and fast but I really don't care how fast these car's are. Plus theres not that many out there. Great you spent $125 grand on a car. But to mod these things is ridiculous and if they break are ridiculous to repair. Not my cup of tea.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Nice run. Especially since he had almost or at least 500 FWHP.
You said FWHP ? In a Mercedes ? It is RWD

But about the race, don't feel bad at all, AMG tuned Mercedes are Extremely fast. Big, luxury, autos, fully loaded so fast... If You see a CL65 AMG, You better run! These cars are Bi-Turbo V12 motors, pulling over 600hp. 11.7-11.8 in the quarter mile, automatic, drinking coffee and A/C blowing
Good race!

Last edited by CRZYPWR; 02-02-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
You said FWHP ? In a Mercedes ? It is RWD

But about the race, don't feel bad at all, AMG tuned Mercedes are Extremely fast. Big, luxury, autos, fully loaded so fast... If You see a CL65 AMG, You better run! These cars are Bi-Turbo V12 motors, pulling over 600hp. 11.7-11.8 in the quarter mile, automatic, drinking coffee and A/C blowing
Good race!
I meant to say Flywheel HP.lol
Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA

Thanks Mystic, wow this thread got more attention than I thought it would, but yeah def time for more mods, and I agree on the 4-door supercars thing a bit. Interior wise they are very very nice cars but exterior its not very appealing to me, All benz's start looking the same anyways to me...with the exception of the Mclaren Benz. But yeah more mods are already in the mail.

I would love to own one of those AMG benz's, cause I would love to sell it and go to the Barret jackson auction and pick up some rare 60's or 70's Detroit Muscle

Last edited by ICEMAN 31; 02-02-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
**** the z06. if you see a z06 driving down the road most people will be oh look a corevette thats nice. but when you see soemthing like a twin turbo V12 sl65AMG you go OH ****!

they have nicer insides and are pretty ******* fast given their weight. the sl55 and ls65's arent very lightweight theyre pretty bulky for as small as they are. the z06 is fast and all and sure it may take down 1 or 2 of the euro cars but it still doesnt have the gusto they do
umm nothing against mercs......but the same thing happens with them when most people see um.....great another silver/black merc

people that are not "in the know" have no idea what an sl65 is

Quick Reply: Me v.s. Mercedes Benz CLS55 AMG