Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Anyone raced a Jeep srt-8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Well I'm not surprised you pulled on the Evo from a roll unless it was the new Evo 9. The Evo 8's weren't that great from a roll and don't trap that high stock.(99-103) I think the GC SRT-8 has higher trap speeds than the Evo 8.

I was kind of surprised, these things aren't exactly flyin' wedges.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Don't get me wrong I don't think the LS1 is unbeatable. I was just responding to the way you sounded in your post. You made it sound like the GC SRT-8 is easily faster than an LS1 and that's false by a mile. I know you probably didn't mean it that way but that's how it sounded. The SRT-8's are not superior to the LS1.

I don't know. If stock 300Cs can pull on C6s with 6As despite being around 700lbs heavier, there might be something to it. Additionally, head flow for the 6.1 castings are more on par with L92 heads than LS1/LS6s.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my favorite SUV/truck on the market

Honestly, this is off subject... does anyone have pics/interior shots of this jeep?

IMO, if I was buying an SUV.. I'd want to get something as nice as possible (luxury like) and that MAY be coincedentally fast. but that wouldn't be the selling point.

I wouldn't be looking at SUV's to go fast. thats just me. thats kinda an added benefit.

Last edited by Finite1; 02-11-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Finite1

my favorite SUV/truck on the market

Honestly, this is off subject... does anyone have pics/interior shots of this jeep?

IMO, if I was buying an SUV.. I'd want to get something as nice as possible (luxury like) and that MAY be coincedentally fast. but that wouldn't be the selling point.

I wouldn't be looking at SUV's to go fast. thats just me. thats kinda an added benefit.

There's really not much utility in that 6000lb SUV. Not that there is in the Jeep either...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but its pretty pimp

if I was buying a lexus, you think I'd care that I didn't run high 12's stock?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Finite1
but its pretty pimp

if I was buying a lexus, you think I'd care that I didn't run high 12's stock?

Other than the column shift, I agree. Evidently some care for a fast Lexi, myself included; though personally I'd rather have the new CTS-V. They're not going to have problems selling the IS-F.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no doubt the caddy is badass also.. i saw those pics from the auto show..

I cant lie the lexus/toyota concepts looked pretty sick.

I've always liked the sc430. my last car was 98 es300.. so I'm partial..
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GotStroke?
I don't know. If stock 300Cs can pull on C6s with 6As despite being around 700lbs heavier.
oh no...here we go again with a crazy rediculous comment ...

Last edited by fastSS2002; 02-12-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Teching In

btw I ahve seen TBSS's run at the track before and pull high 13's to low 14's. They were stock. A guy running over a second faster with just a retune in his TBSS is total bs!!!!! I really hope that a few of you guys don't believe that ****.
Scramblerman, the thing is, you don't know me, I don't you and unless one sees these things for themselves there's always doubt. Videos can be faked to have one guy sandbag so it looks like the slower car won, it's been done. Timeslips don't always tell the story either any timeslip from a similar car can be scanned and posted. So if you don't believe me, so what? I don't live for these forum stories, some are just good reading, I take them all with a grain of salt, they're entertainment and nothing more. I don't believe a lot of them, myself. Have a good one.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastSS2002
oh no...here we go again with a crazy rediculous comment ...

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5752

Sure you can call BS on that story just like I can call BS to yours.

There's nothing like brand loyalty induced mental impairment. Believe what you want, reg. vette vs. 300C, I could care less. You can't deny however the facts about head flow. Potential HP is decided in the cylinder head. I hate to be the one to break it to you but 6.1>LS6 castings, end of story.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Yea I went to the Chicago 2007 Autoshow yesterday and got to get a testdrive in one. They light it up a bit. The guy was telling me that out of all of the SRT 8 models...the Jeep is the fastest. Let me tell you...that jeep sucks you in your seat.

WoW...Riding in that jeep and now driving my 1997 LT1 T/A...I feel slow....granit its out of my league to begin with.....Well Performance upgrades here I come :-)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whoa they do TEST DRIVES at the auto show now?

I've been to like 5 chicago auto shows and never saw this.

thats pretty cool.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Yea they had a course set up the last two years for like jeeps and they driving you up and down a 30 degree hill which is awesome. Then there is another course for like accelerating and they had all the SRT 8 models...I believe 2 chargers, 1 jeep, and 1 300 C SRT 8. Yea it was pretty awesome.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I hate to be the one to break it to you but 6.1>LS6 castings, end of story.
I hate break this to you, but LS6 is yesterday's news. Try comparing them to current GM performance heads. That will give you a better idea.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Randy_W
I hate break this to you, but LS6 is yesterday's news. Try comparing them to current GM performance heads. That will give you a better idea.
Learn how to read. I already referenced the 6.1 castings being on par with L92s as far as flow, less the monstrous chambers. Which is beside the point really as the scope of our discussion was that 6.1s didn't have more potential than LS1s.
If you want to compare them with LS7s go right ahead. DCX will be using 6.4L (with the same heads just factory ported like the LS7s) to make over 500 emissions legal OEM HP while chevy needs 7.0L.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

i think it will be a lot cooler if they put it in a smaller, lighter, two door platform, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Car RamRod; 02-12-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GotStroke?
Learn how to read. I already referenced the 6.1 castings being on par with L92s as far as flow, less the monstrous chambers. Which is beside the point really as the scope of our discussion was that 6.1s didn't have more potential than LS1s.
If you want to compare them with LS7s go right ahead. DCX will be using 6.4L (with the same heads just factory ported like the LS7s) to make over 500 emissions legal OEM HP while chevy needs 7.0L.
First we haven't seen a 6.4 in street legal trim so we have no clue what it will do, second GM uses (SAE) test procedure J2723, DCX still uses the old system which is much more generous. Third, the lightest car to get this engine will be the 4250 lb pig called a Challenger. That ain't a pony car son, that's the whole damn horse! By the way, what makes you think Chevy is going to stand pat at 505 'real' h.p." The new Vette (called Blue Devil during development) is said to make 625 h.p. from 7 liters. The Vette is real right now, the 6.4 remains to be tested on the street.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

First we haven't seen a 6.4 in street legal trim so we have no clue what it will do, second GM uses (SAE) test procedure J2723, DCX still uses the old system which is much more generous. Third, the lightest car to get this engine will be the 4250 lb pig called a Challenger. That ain't a pony car son, that's the whole damn horse! By the way, what makes you think Chevy is going to stand pat at 505 'real' h.p." The new Vette (called Blue Devil during development) is said to make 625 h.p. from 7 liters. The Vette is real right now, the 6.4 remains to be tested on the street.
No, all automakers are required to use the same procedure for hp testing. The Charger SRT-8 fully optioned, with a full tank, weighs 4200lbs. The Challenger, on a shorter wheelbase, 2 doors, will weigh less and probably within 200lbs of a fully optioned, next gen. Z-28. T-tops again??

BTW, that Blue Devil is supercharged so while GM has done a great job w/ the Z-06, the "SS" or "Blue Devil" uses a power-adder to get the HP rating. Which, unfortunately, will be plus for the dragstrip, but not so much on the road circuit.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

There seems to be a bit too much brand loyalty here...the 6.1 hemi is a kick *** motor that I would trade my ls1 out for in a heartbeat. Hell I'd even buy a honda sports car if it had a good v8. We all wish we were king of the street in whatever we drive...run what you brung.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I'm going to preface this with the fact that my next new car purchase will be the new CTS-V--if it delivers as it should, and I have no reason to expect otherwise.
We're talking about motors, 6.1s vs. LS1s originally, now it's car vs. car?
The bottom line is Chevy is standing pat with 505hp from a N/A 7.0L. The new SS/BD is using a 6.2L blown LS9. On the dyno the new super Vette put down 660rw with a preproduction tune; great numbers but it's not N/A.
Dodge has already committed to 500/500+ with the new 6.4 and yes, as already stated, that's with the new SAE testing procedure.