Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beat a 550 awhp Evo!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HMMMMM...

Well i think thats because boosted cars are much differrent than NA cars..

1-2-3 gear he probaly is barely in his boost for a few seconds since he's going through the gears so quickly..

But fourth and ESPECIALY fifth gear he'd be standing in his sweet spots of higher rpm's for quite a while. Fully utilizing the full 550 rwhp for MULTIPLE seconds while in gear. Id imagine that while in 5th gear he'd be between 500 and 550 rwhp for as long as 5 seconds while the rpm's are climbing.

so while he was in 1-2-3 gear you only got slight taste of his full 550 rwhp. He has to switch gears so fast and the rpm's build boost and the significantly drop each time he shifts. only to redline again very quicky.

but 4-5 gear..your getting sustained boost from him in those gears. and 550 is more than 460...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Launching!

OH....BTW...Im sure on a stock EVO with 230-260 awhp ( depending on year) that 5th gear is just an overdrive. But with an addittional 300 awhp motivating 5th gear..Well thats just sustained power.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Killemall
HMMMMM...

Well i think thats because boosted cars are much differrent than NA cars..

1-2-3 gear he probaly is barely in his boost for a few seconds since he's going through the gears so quickly..

But fourth and ESPECIALY fifth gear he'd be standing in his sweet spots of higher rpm's for quite a while. Fully utilizing the full 550 rwhp for MULTIPLE seconds while in gear. Id imagine that while in 5th gear he'd be between 500 and 550 rwhp for as long as 5 seconds while the rpm's are climbing.

so while he was in 1-2-3 gear you only got slight taste of his full 550 rwhp. He has to switch gears so fast and the rpm's build boost and the significantly drop each time he shifts. only to redline again very quicky.

but 4-5 gear..your getting sustained boost from him in those gears. and 550 is more than 460...
I guess overdirve (5th gear) + 550 awhp = still very fast.

Good post, and I agree. that is my only explanation as well.

How is your Viper doing man? I love the Gen II Vipers..
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demon2003
I was there for this race and that Evo was a bad *** car but Fadi beat him hands down both times if the guy with the Evo still has the car we will have to see if we can get them to race again for a better vid. as for gsrhunter read your profile and your car seems awsome but i cant Highly HIGHLY doubt you put even a half car on a Stock C6 Z06 Let alone beat a modded one. JMO
So far I love these forums. It seems to be about the cars. Also fadi in all the confusion of why you beat a 550whp evo.... I forgot to congratulate you on doing so. GREAT KILL.

I have a vid of the first race with the C6 Z06 when he was bone stock. I was only making 450whp at the time and my car wasn't running right. I only beat him by a car. We were supposed to race again the following week with the same setup, but he went and had lg headers put on the very next day and made 500whp. So I got a bigger turbo. I'm not a kid who has to come on here and lie. I beat him by 5 cars in the second race. We do this every weekend.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow great kill man
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
So far I love these forums. It seems to be about the cars. Also fadi in all the confusion of why you beat a 550whp evo.... I forgot to congratulate you on doing so. GREAT KILL.

I have a vid of the first race with the C6 Z06 when he was bone stock. I was only making 450whp at the time and my car wasn't running right. I only beat him by a car. We were supposed to race again the following week with the same setup, but he went and had lg headers put on the very next day and made 500whp. So I got a bigger turbo. I'm not a kid who has to come on here and lie. I beat him by 5 cars in the second race. We do this every weekend.
Well if you have a video of it id love too see it. Me personally find it very very far fetched. Post up your kill video!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demon2003
Well if you have a video of it id love too see it. Me personally find it very very far fetched. Post up your kill video!
Sorry fadi.... I'm not trying to step on your toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLouwvBX9g
Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
Sorry fadi.... I'm not trying to step on your toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLouwvBX9g

I've seen your car on the supraforums. Runs pretty good, Ill give you props. Is this the same car that ran the GTO and the M6?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Teching In

Yes its the same car.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
Well 128mph traps is kinda low for 550whp. Maybe that was on Race Gas or a high reading dyno, or he has a really heavy car. I dont doubt if you pulled at that high a speed, 5th gear would be just about maxed. Unless he has new gears or a built motor for hi rev's these cars are just geared to short.

I agree.
Fadi...your buddy's overestimating his car's power. My car trapped around 126-127mph (close to his) last year and it was no 550awhp. I would say around 475-500awhp which would make sense since he's probably 200lbs heavier and you have better gearing and NA.

Does he have the dyno chart of his 550awhp? I can't view the video.

Nice kill btw.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fadi
I guess overdirve (5th gear) + 550 awhp = still very fast.

Good post, and I agree. that is my only explanation as well.

How is your Viper doing man? I love the Gen II Vipers..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...cb00333e48.htm

I think we know that a supra and viper share nearly identical final gear ratio, that is why they have extremely nice top ends. I think the supra is 3.18 and the vipers is 3.12. But the difference in the vettes( I think) is the 1.1 in 4th gear opposed to the other two vehicles being 5th. What I am saying is, eventhough you have a lowerdrag coeficiency, your gears play a big role in it also. I cant remember what magazine I read, but the C6 Z06 had the slowest 150-180(200) time out of the supercar test.

You can tell in the video, how the EVO creeps back up on top, despite its lack of aerodynamics. And if you recall on some of the AMS videos, their own cars have kept up and at some times passed cars with similar or more power.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fadi
Great post, bro. I agree with you. But, that still leaves the question:

If the Evo's cd is that bad, why was I able to pull on him while he is in his 3rd and 4th gears (40-125), yet, I was barely able to get away from him while he was in his overdrive (5th) and I was in my "go" gear (4th)?

If what you are saying is true (which it is, and this is why this is confusing, lol) how can he keep up so well at 125+ and do worse from 40-125?

Good discussion fellas...
More then likely, turbo lag. While with most new cars there isn't really turbo lag but when you put a big turbo on a small motor it happens. If his turbo isn't hitting full boost till 5500rpm that means for him to stay in boost all the time he's gotta keep the rpm up. If he wasn't flat-foot shifting, between shifts his rpm could have dropped below 5000rpm and he would need to wait for the boost. But when he hit 5th gear there is no more shifting and he just maintained boost and kept up better.

While I don't know this for fact it's just an idea of what could have happen.

I also agree that if he spend 30k into the motor of that car and only got 550awhp, he was taking for a ride. Last tally I saw for the 900awhp AMS EVO was 40k. 30k and he should be 700+ easy.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

hey man you live around Grand Blanc? @ fadi
Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Awesome kill. Shows what happens when they give an LSX a truly long high RPM powerband.

I agree with the comments on gearing. Its can really make things happen in a weird sequence. If anyone remembers BSmonitor's little story in here awhile back, it was very surprising....

The thing is too, at lower speeds the accelerations are much higher no matter what power you're at as long as you're hooking. Throw in more frequent gear chages when you're in your lower gears, and the differentials in speed between the two cars are very very dynamic. Up top things slow down so to speak. So its easy to to be fooled by what you'r eyes are telling you when your watching the road, the tach, and him.

As for aero, its really starts to matter at even 60 IMHO. And its one of those things in nature and physics where its effect is squared. Just as moving half to distance to a jet engine makes it 4 times as loud to your ears, going 120 makes air resistance more or less 4 times as significant as at 60. Evos have a CD of about .36 to the Zs of what, .31 or so? All the ducting and downforce stuff is not going to help that any, despite their benefits for stability.

BUT, thats not the whole story. The real resistance is only partially determined by the CD. Think of a brick. Now think of a large rocket. The rocket is much more "aerodynamic" than the brick, but its going to take less force to overcome wind resistance in the brick because its smaller. I dont know what the frontal area is for each car, but I'm willing to bet that the width of the Vette compensates a little bit for the height of the Evo. So they might be kinda close. So his aerodynamic disadvantage might not be as bad as we think.

Whatever the reasons are, thats freakin awesome Fadi.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys..

It was one of my better kills last year, but the best being the Ford GT..

Shiv15, yes, I am from GB.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Awesome kill. Shows what happens when they give an LSX a truly long high RPM powerband.

I agree with the comments on gearing. Its can really make things happen in a weird sequence. If anyone remembers BSmonitor's little story in here awhile back, it was very surprising....

The thing is too, at lower speeds the accelerations are much higher no matter what power you're at as long as you're hooking. Throw in more frequent gear chages when you're in your lower gears, and the differentials in speed between the two cars are very very dynamic. Up top things slow down so to speak. So its easy to to be fooled by what you'r eyes are telling you when your watching the road, the tach, and him.

As for aero, its really starts to matter at even 60 IMHO. And its one of those things in nature and physics where its effect is squared. Just as moving half to distance to a jet engine makes it 4 times as loud to your ears, going 120 makes air resistance more or less 4 times as significant as at 60. Evos have a CD of about .36 to the Zs of what, .31 or so? All the ducting and downforce stuff is not going to help that any, despite their benefits for stability.

BUT, thats not the whole story. The real resistance is only partially determined by the CD. Think of a brick. Now think of a large rocket. The rocket is much more "aerodynamic" than the brick, but its going to take less force to overcome wind resistance in the brick because its smaller. I dont know what the frontal area is for each car, but I'm willing to bet that the width of the Vette compensates a little bit for the height of the Evo. So they might be kinda close. So his aerodynamic disadvantage might not be as bad as we think.

Whatever the reasons are, thats freakin awesome Fadi.
I know people give EVOs **** for it being brick shaped but it's CD is NOT very bad. .36. The Supra MKIV is at .34 IIRC. Drag will definitely play a part but in this particular case, the two cars were pretty close in terms of HP. The vette obviously had the edge. Pretty impressive for a bone stock car.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25psi
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...cb00333e48.htm

I think we know that a supra and viper share nearly identical final gear ratio, that is why they have extremely nice top ends. I think the supra is 3.18 and the vipers is 3.12. But the difference in the vettes( I think) is the 1.1 in 4th gear opposed to the other two vehicles being 5th. What I am saying is, eventhough you have a lowerdrag coeficiency, your gears play a big role in it also. I cant remember what magazine I read, but the C6 Z06 had the slowest 150-180(200) time out of the supercar test.

You can tell in the video, how the EVO creeps back up on top, despite its lack of aerodynamics. And if you recall on some of the AMS videos, their own cars have kept up and at some times passed cars with similar or more power.

I agree
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
Well 128mph traps is kinda low for 550whp. Maybe that was on Race Gas or a high reading dyno, or he has a really heavy car. I dont doubt if you pulled at that high a speed, 5th gear would be just about maxed. Unless he has new gears or a built motor for hi rev's these cars are just geared to short.
Wow!! Sounds like he got ripped off if he's only at 550whp. $30k is alot of mods for these cars, like 9sec territory.
Excuses Excuses.

Just admit that the Z06 is the better, faster, lighter car. End of story, no need to try and make up reasons why he lost.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAG shouldnt be bad if you know......HOW TO BRAKE BOOST!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know the frontal area of the newer Evo's?

Aerodynamics (A) doesn't just equal the cd of the car.

A = cd * frontal area.

Quick Reply: Beat a 550 awhp Evo!!