Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

another 5.0 kill..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I think I could push a GT40P headed car to a 14 second pass.
Maybe you should get behind mine, it might break 13's then

Lol, seriously. On a tire I might hit a mid/high 13, but it still traps under 100mph. Lame. I gave up and went LS1

Dynoed the motor, powerband is good, compression is good, ect. so its not a mechanical problem, the heads just suck.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what did you expect from Explorer heads?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Launching!

but you always have to be cautious of 5.0 mustangs... it was HILARIOUS, i was riding with one of my friends in his '90. we were driving through a small town and we come to a stoplight. some hotshot in a WS6 comes up to the stoplight revving all to hell. he rolled down the window, then a look of horror came across his face. he saw the 28x10 slicks on the back and the tunnel ram/dual quads sticking out of the hood. he flipped on his blinker and turned right before i could even say anything. if your wondering, its a 460 swap car that runs high 10s on motor.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

5.0s just suck. period. It takes weight reduction or FI to hit 12's and trap over 105 in those things. That or a stroker.

Here is an AFR headed 302 with an E cam and GT40 intake, ect. ect. ect.
286whp
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...rd_mustang_LX/
Here is the dyno sheet (bottom of the page)http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_34.html
244whp out of my GT40P heads and 17" fixed flex fan wasnt bad after all...
Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Maybe you should get behind mine, it might break 13's then

Lol, seriously. On a tire I might hit a mid/high 13, but it still traps under 100mph. Lame. I gave up and went LS1

Dynoed the motor, powerband is good, compression is good, ect. so its not a mechanical problem, the heads just suck.
wrong wrong wrong, and dont give that weight bull ****

Example: my friends full weight 91 GT has 3.55s 18 inch deep dish bullits, GT40 intake, x pipe and flows (probably pullies, I will ask) ran a 14.1 at 100 on the 18 inch street tires of course.

That is normal.

Your car sucked
your setup sucked
your driving sucked
I dont know you to be able to tell how bad you suck.

I made 295/321, my friend made 299/329, and another 302/325. the only difference between our setups is the headers and intake manifold.

That much power with 200 dollar heads with 150 dollar springs and retainers is no joke.

These heads ported can flow near 240/200. AFRs 165s flow 252/190 out of the box. They wont touch a ported AFR or trick flow when you want to make power, but its a hell of a junk yard head.

I have added ballast to compare my car to original weight at the track. It did not slow down THAT much. Almost 2 mph. I know a few 94-95 guys with convertible GTs. one weighs 3650 with his TKO and runs 12.2 at 112 on nittos dynoing 304/331. The other weighs 3900 (he is huge) runs 12.7 at 109 on nittos dynoing 311/340. no pro drivers. Just normal guys that dont even powershift.

Last edited by 95Snoozer; 02-22-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95Snoozer
wrong wrong wrong, and dont give that weight bull ****

Example: my friends full weight 91 GT has 3.55s 18 inch deep dish bullits, GT40 intake, x pipe and flows (probably pullies, I will ask) ran a 14.1 at 100 on the 18 inch street tires of course.

That is normal.

Your car sucked
your setup sucked
your driving sucked
I dont know you to be able to tell how bad you suck.

I made 295/321, my friend made 299/329, and another 302/325. the only difference between our setups is the headers and intake manifold.

That much power with 200 dollar heads with 150 dollar springs and retainers is no joke.

These heads ported can flow near 240/200. AFRs 165s flow 252/190 out of the box. They wont touch a ported AFR or trick flow when you want to make power, but its a hell of a junk yard head.
I guess 286whp out of AFR's is just wierd, huh? Maybe you should give them some tips. PS. FRPP crate motors with aluminum GT40Y heads normally make 260-275whp.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Teching In

286 with AFRs is terrible. I am guessing they are missing some key boltons or a good tune.

aluminum GT40s suuuck when you look at how they act and the average flow numbers, i woudl take a set of Ps over GT40Xs any day. believe it or not. I know that ford crate motors are terrible in the horsepower department. I usually dont see their crate 302s make more than 285rwhp.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Launching!

5.0s just suck. period. It takes weight reduction or FI to hit 12's and trap over 105 in those things. That or a stroker.

286whp
Here is the dyno sheet (bottom of the page)http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_34.html
Bullshit, i was hitting high 12's @110mph on STREET TIRES in my stang with a pretty simple H/C/I combo edelbrock's, typhoon intake, N41 cam with a 306. And i had no weight reduction on my 89 GT.

And who in the hell would put an E cam and GT40 intake with a pair of AFR's??? No wonder it made 286rwhp, that looks like a typical "i dunno how to match the parts in my combo" build.

5.0's don't suck when you build them right, your's just sucked cause you had a **** setup .
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89tang
Bullshit, i was hitting high 12's @110mph on STREET TIRES in my stang with a pretty simple H/C/I combo edelbrock's, typhoon intake, N41 cam with a 306. And i had no weight reduction on my 89 GT.

And who in the hell would put an E cam and GT40 intake with a pair of AFR's??? No wonder it made 286rwhp, that looks like a typical "i dunno how to match the parts in my combo" build.

5.0's don't suck when you build them right, your's just sucked cause you had a **** setup .
It made the hp CCM claimed when they put the package togather. They sold hundreds of them.

I would have around 270whp had I not used a fixed 17" fan and had all that extra rotating mass of 4.10's and a TKO500.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

286whp
What the **** are you talking about? I have little AFR 165s on my car and it puts out WELL over 300rwhp and should trap around 110mph I was told. I think I can even get it higher than that. My car is at stock weight and with sticky tires and a mild launch it will be a mid 12 second car speed shifting and not powershifting. I'm sorry that the 5.0 you had before sucked *****. Obviously you had no idea about what combinations work on a car. But just because you had a slow POS 5.0 does not mean all suck. Get a clue...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 89tang
Exactly...I think we have here a young kid that had a 5.0 as his first car. Thought he had a fast car when he put his H/C/I setup on it that didn't match for **** or make power. He whined to daddy saying it was too slow so daddy bought him a LS1 and he thinks its awsome because its so much faster than his old 5.0.

Hell I'd put any amount of money he wanted against my STOCK PISTONS, full weight, stock transmission, mild, daily driver 5.0 against his mighty LS1. Hell I'll even leave the bottle sitting on the staging lane to the side of the water box. Its a shame he doesn't live close by. Oh well...some 5.0 will put him in his place. Won't take much either.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned

Exactly...I think we have here a young kid that had a 5.0 as his first car.Try a trans am as my first "sports" car which I payed almost half for with money I had saved since I was 6. Thought he had a fast car when he put his How about I worked for a year and a half and sold my trans am and bought a crate motor and full bold-ons and bought a $1000 roller with a perfect body/interior.H/C/I setup on it that didn't match for **** or make power. He whined to daddy saying it was too slow so daddy bought him a LS1 Hrmmm...How about he helped me out part-way in that I gave him the 5.0 that I sunk a year and a half worth of money working for Ford and Sears into (around 8K of my money for all the restoration/mods/new motor and all moving-parts). and he thinks its awsome because its so much faster than his old 5.0.

Hell I'd put any amount of money he wanted against my STOCK PISTONS, full weight, stock transmission, mild, daily driver 5.0 against his mighty LS1. Hell I'll even leave the bottle sitting on the staging lane to the side of the water box. Its a shame he doesn't live close by No, I think it is a good thing because I am tired of internet warrioring and have lost all patients for those who want to call me out. I would not be able to treat you in what I consider a mature way if I met you in person. Oh well...some 5.0 will put him in his place. I don't even race the LS1 except impromptu romps on it every now and then. It is just a decent daily driver that I want to last through college. Won't take much either.
Way to call them asshat.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Still I wouldn't call another engine that would walk all over yours a "POS" asshat.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

Still I wouldn't call another engine that would walk all over yours a "POS" asshat.
You think the 5.0 he ran against would walk all over mine? Do you really?

Here is why I do not respect the 5.0 as much as I do the LS1.

The block is SENSIBLY limited to 450whp
There is no 15* head within a SENSIBLE price-range
It is limited to 347ci displacement
It is not cost-effective to get power out of past 300whp. unless you go FI and that has it's own set of issues.

I love it when people knock my engine-building skills. I bought a pre-assymbled crate motor that got great reviews both from other customers, MM&FF rags, and random internet sites that I came across. I payed $3200 for a brand new 340SAE Gross hp motor. That isn't too bad. Made 244 to the tires, that is 280BHP Net. Not bad for iron heads and a poorly selected cam shaft (who knows why they put hte X303 in. I sure dont. I guess Dennis Hillard just ran CCM into the ground after the company had been doing GREAT for 25 years. I heard a lot about that jackass AFTER! I had it in the car.)
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Banned

What the **** are you talking about? I have little AFR 165s on my car and it puts out WELL over 300rwhp and should trap around 110mph I was told. I think I can even get it higher than that. My car is at stock weight and with sticky tires and a mild launch it will be a mid 12 second car speed shifting and not powershifting. I'm sorry that the 5.0 you had before sucked *****. Obviously you had no idea about what combinations work on a car. But just because you had a slow POS 5.0 does not mean all suck. Get a clue...
Yeah, i was told I should run 13.0-13.5@102-105mph in my 5.0. Belive nothing you hear and only 1/2 of what you see. People lie out the *** about stuff like that. I have seen a LOT! of 5.0's that didn't do nearly as well as they should have. Every time I go to the strip there is always a dissapointed 5.0 owner. No lie, it never fails, and it isn't me. I have met 2 so far (I did not go often). (There are also Foxes in the 10's too...).

Crate motors (I found out the hard way...) are rated SAE Gross. Not SAE Net. Keith Craft cleared that up for me after CCM closed and I wanted info. Nice company/person!

If your AFR headed 5.0 dynoes over 320whp then I will be suprised. Keith craft usually gets around 310-330 out of his AFR/Brodix/Trickflow headed 302 motors and that is with a cam-shaft ground to his specs by comp and with a lot of other stuff done in-house.

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 02-23-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, i was told I should run 13.0-13.5@102-105mph in my 5.0. Belive nothing you hear and only 1/2 of what you see. People lie out the *** about stuff like that. I have seen a LOT! of 5.0's that didn't do nearly as well as they should have. Every time I go to the strip there is always a dissapointed 5.0 owner. No lie, it never fails, and it isn't me. I have met 2 so far (I did not go often). (There are also Foxes in the 10's too...).

Crate motors (I found out the hard way...) are rated SAE Gross. Not SAE Net. Keith Craft cleared that up for me after CCM closed and I wanted info. Nice company/person!

If your AFR headed 5.0 dynoes over 320whp then I will be suprised. Keith craft usually gets around 310-330 out of his AFR/Brodix/Trickflow headed 302 motors and that is with a cam-shaft ground to his specs by comp and with a lot of other stuff done in-house.
Dude...you magazine race...I do it at the track. My 99 Cobra ran 10's on the stock rods and pistons. Have you ever owned a car that has run a 10 second ET in the 1/4th? Have you owned one that has run over 100mph in the 1/8th? Doubt it. I threw my 5.0 together within a month. It WILL run mid 12's off the bottle and low 11's on the bottle with slicks. When you own a car that can keep up with any Ford I own then I'll listen to you bash them. I have respect for anyone that has common sense and a love for cars and doesn't bash the "enemy" just because that person feels that their car is superior. It sounds to me like you need to grow up. And I personally couldn't care less if you feel a 5.0 motor is a POS or not. I don't ignore it because I don't want anyone that is interested in buying one get scared away because your ignorant *** has a chip on your shoulder because your old 5.0 was a slow turd. Sounds to me like you honestly have some growing up to do. Are you even out of your teens yet? sorry to the original poster.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Launching!

I would give up arguing with this asshat, he's pretty set on 5.0's being crap since he had such a crappy time with that POS he had. So i say we leave it at that . Atleast you have a car now that it doesn't take alot of thinking for it to go pretty fast, just don't do any big mods and you should be good to go man
Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Here is why I do not respect the 5.0 as much as I do the LS1.

The block is SENSIBLY limited to 450whp
There is no 15* head within a SENSIBLE price-range
It is limited to 347ci displacement
It is not cost-effective to get power out of past 300whp. unless you go FI and that has it's own set of issues.
Now you go from talking about head combos to bigger setups. You dont need to tell us, look who you are talking to. 3 guys with heads/cam blower and or bottle combos.

we know about the block
Head choices are fine, you pulled a buzz word out of your magic hat.

Cost effective 300 hp?
My entire bolton setup:
typhoon intake - I literally made money doing this somehow. (300 Came with TB and FPR fox computer and harness. sold harness for 80 and fpr for 40 and will sell computer for 75)
gt40Ps - 200
lunati springs and retainers- 158
comp OTS cam- 175
1.7s RRs (avg 100 used)
MAC LTs - 100
Prochamber- actually got this for free from a wrecked car
Spintech mufflers- 100
I run a fox Tb conversion. free but needed EGR delete plate - 16
24 lb inj and 77mm Maf (200 used)
Pullies came on car (100 bucks)
gaskets head bolts- 120
case of beer and a few pizzas along the way- 50
knowing what you are doing when selecting a combo - priceless

I love it when people knock my engine-building skills. I bought a pre-assymbled crate motor that got great reviews both from other customers, MM&FF rags, and random internet sites that I came across. I payed $3200 for a brand new 340SAE Gross hp motor. That isn't too bad. Made 244 to the tires, that is 280BHP Net. Not bad for iron heads and a poorly selected cam shaft (who knows why they put hte X303 in. I sure dont. I guess Dennis Hillard just ran CCM into the ground after the company had been doing GREAT for 25 years. I heard a lot about that jackass AFTER! I had it in the car.)
dont use your poor decision as a reason why 5.0s are bad in every thread

Yeah and I never see LT and or cammed ls1s running shitty times.

fyi, an afr 165 headed 302 with a tiny comp cam smaller than mine made 400+ by the rating that your crate motor was tested. A stock 5.0 made 250, yet factory rating is 225 and they will make 185-190 at the wheels.

sometimes our combos make more than expected or less. Its a fact of life.
I know AFR custom grind cam guys that make as low as 292 (due to stock exhaust and only 19 pound injectors) I have friends that make 330 with an off the shelf comp cam and 165s. I have seen trick flows and AFRs make 290+ with a stock cam installed straight up. And AFR 165s do 304/340 at the wheels on a 93 cobra with the stock cam retarded 4 degrees and the lower intake ported to closer match the flow of the heads.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

It's all about the combo, always is with ANY engine.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
It's all about the combo, always is with ANY engine.
+1 and I agree.

My main rub with my 5.0 is I found out (too late in the game) that if I wanted the power I was after, I needed AFR heads. Instead of pumping MORE money into an aging car prone to other issues, I just got somethign that is slightly slower than it would be with AFR's but has no other major issues.

I agree that 5.0's can be fast, but the LS1 is quickly becoming the "new 5.0". I like the 5.0's for what they are. They are easy to work on and fun cars, just irritates me that everyone thinks they run low 12's when most barely nip them, if that. The 5.0 has a LOT! of stigma surrounding it and 90% of it is unwarrented. Just like the bullshit about WS6/SS cars being "so much faster" than regular Z28/TA's. It gets on my nerves.

Quick Reply: another 5.0 kill..