Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stepped on a Snake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:11 AM
Banned

Dad ended up with the 5.0 but I am taking it back for a week to do maintenance/mods that he requested.

The carb issue finally got sorted out and tuned. Take into account that before it was idling near 10:1 and when you have a carbed car idling that rich it can take 1/2 of the track for things to lean down in the manifold, ect. It had a lot going against it on my 2 visits to the track. Whining? Whatever you say man, I think the fact that it never got a 60' better than 2.15 and spun a good 10-15' on the 1-2 shift ect. ect. is just a fact, not whining.
(PS. Part of its shortcoming is due in no small part to my not knowing how to drive the damn thing on hockey-puck tires. I was feathering the clutch off idle and going up in smoke. My fault.)

It always kicked *** on the street from a roll. I think the reason it was good from a roll and not on the strip was in-part due to the RICHNESS at idle. From a roll it had no issues with that and so it reached optimum A/F sooner. Who knows? It has always come through on the street. Current kill list for the 5.0:

06 auto GT (highway punch-105, victory by 1-1.5 cars each time).
'vette (murdered it, not sure what year, it was a C4 though, maybe L98 or something)
99-01 Cobra (this story)
SRT10 truck (single cab)-not a win, but only lost by 8 feet so thats not too bad.
98-02 Z28 A4 (yes, looked under the hood and talked to the guy, LS1 and he was STUNNED) this happened when I was EFI, the race was IDENTICAL in circumstance and outcome to my Cobra race.

This DOES NOT! coraborate with my experiences at the track. IT does, however, make sense given the 244whp and 3300# empty weight of my car (all except the Z28 run, I think his car must have been in bad shape or he just caught 3rd at the 75 punch and I out-geared him and he woulda pulled me had we gone past the 110 that we shut down at).

Another issue I just corrected (at my Dad's request b/c he keeps hitting my 6K limiter) was to put in a 7K chip. The car makes peak hp at close to 6K and so shifting puts me a good 1K below my peak hp. Now if I shift at 6500 it should be optimum.

If I can bum some slicks off somebody I will take her to the strip and report back with some real numbers. Until then, my bogging carb/hocky puck numbers stand, lol (I have also in the mean time learned to powershifted 1-2 and 3-4, 2-3 however, still gives me trouble when I try to powershift it sometimes)

MY WS6 is still clearly a decent amount faster