Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

smoked an STI

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98WsSick
An STI most likely won't last over 100k miles. any STI over 60k miles is going to have problems i've heard from an STI owner that EVO's and STI's clutches wont last if you race alot. thats another reason why i think there overrated plus for $30,000 they wont even beat an ls1
C5 Z06's have clutch problems with only a couple of mods. A stock M6 F-body has a crappy rear end that will break if you race a lot.

/end argument.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Teching In

An STI most likely won't last over 100k miles. any STI over 60k miles is going to have problems i've heard from an STI owner that EVO's and STI's clutches wont last if you race alot. thats another reason why i think there overrated plus for $30,000 they wont even beat an ls1
Not sure where you are info from buy Subaru makes one of the most reliable cars on the market.

Sure it's not the greatest platform for a drag car but saying is wont last part 100k is insane. 100k on a Subaru is just breaking it in.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
C5 Z06's have clutch problems with only a couple of mods. A stock M6 F-body has a crappy rear end that will break if you race a lot.

/end argument.
Dumbass ricer, stop talking out of your ***.

You obviously don't have a clue. The LS6 clutch has "problems" with only a few mods?? Yea, thats why guys put them in F-Bodies with 400WHP and don't have any problems?? You probably don't even know what an LS6 is you retard

M6 F-body rear ends hold up fine if you don't abuse them. When you're launching on slicks though, yea, there's a chance its gonna break. Laucnh your car from 6K a few times and post pictures of your tranmission all over the road. Thanks.

Last edited by ONEBADASSWS6; 03-23-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
Not sure where you are info from buy Subaru makes one of the most reliable cars on the market.

Sure it's not the greatest platform for a drag car but saying is wont last part 100k is insane. 100k on a Subaru is just breaking it in.
Id that why stock WRX's go through tranmissions within 50-60K miles?? Go on ClubWRX (you probably already are a member) and look in the drivetrain section. Almost every post is about transmission problems with the WRX.

Last edited by ONEBADASSWS6; 03-23-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Ill see if I can get a pic of my buddies odometer but he has an 04 sti with 122K miles on it with zero problems. It isnt heavily modded (just a efw basic bolt ons) but he hasnt had any issues with the car. Also, as for the clutch, any car that is raced hard will need a new clutch fairly soon. My stocker lasted 40K miles and I didnt even rag on the car hard. Most stock clutches are crap from the factory anyways.
Would that be MaSTi over on the Eastern section??
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Id that why stock WRX's go through tranmissions within 50-60K miles?? Go on ClubWRX (you probably already are a member) and look in the drivetrain section. Almost every post is about transmission problems with the WRX.
Yeah like the rear of an f-body, if you abuse it, it will break. My WRX has 85k on it and has run 12.4 with ZERO signs of tranny problems. The difference between my car and theirs is I know how to take car of a tranny and I don't clutch dump from 6k and expect everything to be ok.

And for the record I have cut a 1.6 60' with my "glass tranny". Tell the fools over at ClubWRX to learn how to preload (heal/toe) before complaining about how weak their trannies are.

Give an idiot a M1 tank and I'm sure he'll break it.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Would that be MaSTi over on the Eastern section??

I forgot about him, hes a good example too but its one of my buddies who isnt on the forum. He uses his sti to commute to work approx 200 miles each day round trip and drives everywhere on the weekend so he has racked up the miles extremely quickly but still hasnt had an issue. By all means if he were more thana bolt on car and was driving the **** out of it it would be in rough shape no doubt but sti's will last a while if properly taken care of.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpe488
Sorry, but that sounds like he really messed up his launch.

I've raced two and took two wins on roll races, but I raced one from a dig and that STi launched like a bat outta hell, I might've caught up by the end of the 1/4, but maybe not.

well thats what a 3600 stall does for ya....
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastest94v6
well thats what a 3600 stall does for ya....
Considering he didn't have a stall when he raced the STi I doubt it effected the outcome.

+1 for the STi botching the launch.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

killin like a villian'
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

If people think a STI or any subaru can't go beyond 100k, they really havent been around a Subaru. Subaru makes a long lasting and reliable car. Subaru's will go 300k if you take care of it. I see a few WRX's with over 130-140k with little issues, and plenty of others with 200k or more.

The problem with the STI and WRX is that those launches than don't go right damage the hell out of the tranny and drivetrain. AWD cars don't have the luxury to release the power by spinning the tires. So the transmission/ clutch absorbs the shock.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
Considering he didn't have a stall when he raced the STi I doubt it effected the outcome.

+1 for the STi botching the launch.

hey thats not my fault....explain that to the judge.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

EVO's and STI's are rally cars, not drag racing cars, but they do run well in the 1/4 mile. My buddy with his EVO MR ran a 13.3 @ 106 mph bone stock. Not too shabby. He now has about $4K in upgrades (WGA, bigger injectors, hks cams, evo 9 turbo, magnaflow titanium turbo back, alky injection, etc) and make 385 whp and has cut a few high 11 second passes without launching at insane rpms. Plus with the new england winters he can drive it all year round. Sure EVO's and STI's arent the best starting point when making a drag car but they do a lot of things well. I do think they are overhyped as every import fan boy wants one and worships them but they do exactly what they are built to do and are reasonably priced IMO.
Exactly

For all that an Sti/Wrx gives up for WORLD class offroading AND roadcourses; it still pulls a STOCK 13 sec. 1/4 mile with 25% drivetrain loss!!! All in a 4 door family sedan with 2.5l. click here for stock turbo STi 1/4 mile vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...f900652765.htm
And uhhh..wow; Drag racing is what it's worse at!!!! I know it's not fair to compare a 2002 vs 2006 but dang, I really dig my stock HID projector headlamps (seeing at night = cool), 17" FORGED BBS rims, Brembo Brakes, Yaw input sensor, symetrical AWD, DCCD (so I can drift yo ), climate control, ETC.... you know... modern stuff.... As for reliability? It's a Subaru enough: said. Look at the resale value of these cars, that is the best indicator of a manufactures reliability............ Overated? not even close.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Exactly

For all that an Sti/Wrx gives up for WORLD class offroading AND roadcourses; it still pulls a STOCK 13 sec. 1/4 mile with 25% drivetrain loss!!! All in a 4 door family sedan with 2.5l. click here for stock turbo STi 1/4 mile vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...f900652765.htm
And uhhh..wow; Drag racing is what it's worse at!!!! I know it's not fair to compare a 2002 vs 2006 but dang, I really dig my stock HID projector headlamps (seeing at night = cool), 17" FORGED BBS rims, Brembo Brakes, Yaw input sensor, symetrical AWD, DCCD (so I can drift yo ), climate control, ETC.... you know... modern stuff.... As for reliability? It's a Subaru enough: said. Look at the resale value of these cars, that is the best indicator of a manufactures reliability............ Overated? not even close.

Yea my Evo buddy wont take his MR on a rally course but I have gone on a couple of dirt courses with my two buddies with their STI's and its unreal the traction they get going around turns on gravel and dirt at high rates of speed. In addition, STI/s/WRX's with turbo backs sound plain mean and I usually dont like exhaust on 4 bangers (obviously due to the number of cams). Honestly I would love to own either an STI or an EVO but if I own a car I can easily mod then there is no doubt in my mind that thousands of dollars would go into modding it, which is why I bought my g35x and x-type for my gf. They are both **** slow and no real easy mods for them haha. Is there any new version of the STI on the horizon? I know they changed the body style for the WRX but I wasnt sure if it transfered over to the STI?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Yea my Evo buddy wont take his MR on a rally course but I have gone on a couple of dirt courses with my two buddies with their STI's and its unreal the traction they get going around turns on gravel and dirt at high rates of speed. In addition, STI/s/WRX's with turbo backs sound plain mean and I usually dont like exhaust on 4 bangers (obviously due to the number of cams). Honestly I would love to own either an STI or an EVO but if I own a car I can easily mod then there is no doubt in my mind that thousands of dollars would go into modding it, which is why I bought my g35x and x-type for my gf. They are both **** slow and no real easy mods for them haha. Is there any new version of the STI on the horizon? I know they changed the body style for the WRX but I wasnt sure if it transfered over to the STI?
The STI is actually available now without the ugly wing and tacky add ons, its called the "STI Limited". Basically looks like a regular WRX with a larger hood scoop. Much more tasteful than the ugly-as-sin regular STI.

A completely new/redesigned Impreza/WRX/STI should be out in the next couple years, apparently power is supposed to stay about the same, but there will be all new styling and more features.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have got to be kidding me.

Originally Posted by
You obviously don't have a clue. The LS6 clutch has "problems" with only a few mods??Yea, thats why guys put them in F-Bodies with 400WHP and don't have any problems?? You probably don't even know what an LS6 is you retard
No, clearly I don't know what an LS6 is having been here for how much longer than you with how many more posts? I probably know more about the differences of the LS6 and the LS1 than you do. I probably know more about F-bodies than you do. Here is a good example:

Did you know that *gasp* 2001-2002 M6 cars came with the LS6 clutch? How about you read the newbie section of this site.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2

Next, 400 WHP is a Z06 with another amazing thing, a couple of mods, which ironically is exactly what I said. That kettle is black, btw.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch

Originally Posted by
M6 F-body rear ends hold up fine if you don't abuse them. When you're launching on slicks though, yea, there's a chance its gonna break. Launch your car from 6K a few times and post pictures of your tranmission all over the road. Thanks.
No kidding. If you were less angry and more realistic, you would realize that when you beat on any car, you brake things. The rear of the F-body however, will brake if you beat on it, just like the situation you described about launching an STI. Imagine the symmetry, which is exactly what I and another person pointed out to you! Although it is not the transmission that brakes on STi's, it is the rear axle and the differentials.

Please, before you post, make sure your facts are correct and you don't sound quite so ignorant.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is obviously coming from an STI owner...
Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is obviously coming from an STI owner...
And someone who had not one, but two F-bodies. There is nothing wrong with any of my statements, as opposed to the other guy.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

JMO the STI is fun to drive the EVO IX is scary when it kicks in. They are 225awhp and still turn low 13's stock. Its a 4cyl car you have to think about if it pulls up beside you at a light. A 1998 LS1 cost 30k at one time too. They are a little over priced but so is a Cobalt SS SC.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

look whos back

You obviously don't have a clue. The LS6 clutch has "problems" with only a few mods?? Yea, thats why guys put them in F-Bodies with 400WHP and don't have any problems?? You probably don't even know what an LS6 is you retard

M6 F-body rear ends hold up fine if you don't abuse them. When you're launching on slicks though, yea, there's a chance its gonna break. Laucnh your car from 6K a few times and post pictures of your tranmission all over the road. Thanks.