Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by a Evo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Killed by a Evo

Im bone stock and a friend of a friend just got a 06 Evo with like 10k miles on it. We ran from a dig and he put like 2 cars on me right away doesn't help to have stock firehawk tires. We ran from a 10mph roll and he pulled me pretty good again. We hit the highway and ran from 60-100 and it took him longer to pull me and did so around 90mph but not my much and it wasen't instant either.

my question is what will it take for a stock 98 LS1 to hang if not beat a 06 manual evo. He said he was side kicking or stepping the clutch what ever that is?

Im on a tight buget so cheap mods will have to suffice for now. No heads or Nos, I want to stay N/A.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Teching In

headers and exhaust
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just beat one this weekend from a 20 mph roll with the mods in my sig. Had about 2 cars on him at 100.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

is it true they are 12 second cars from the factory and can be 11 second cars with only 1k in mods?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fatboyq
is it true they are 12 second cars from the factory and can be 11 second cars with only 1k in mods?
prolly, and so can ls1's

get a lid, headers and exhaust
Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

They run mid to low 13's stock...a few have went 12's..A 6spd Ls1 should be faster stock(in general). Evo's are deadly from a dig because of the awd and the close to 300 hp doesnt hurt either. A computer flash and some bolt ons and there pretty bad, and are easily capable of 11's without breaking the bank, not sure about the 1k though, maybe w/ spray..I believe road and track ran a 06 to a 13.0 stock (cant remeber the trap or exact model). It very well might be my next car if I can find one for the right price, they can be pricey.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
They run mid to low 13's stock...a few have went 12's..A 6spd Ls1 should be faster stock. Evo's are deadly from a dig because of the awd and the close to 300 hp doesnt hurt either. A computer flash and some bolt ons and there pretty bad, and are easily capable of 11's, not sure about the 1k though, maybe w/ spray.. It very well might be my next car if I can find one for the right price.
Yeah, I agree. I'd be hestitant to think that any car can go from 13's to 11's with just a thousand bucks.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by newgene
Yeah, I agree. I'd be hestitant to think that any car can go from 13's to 11's with just a thousand bucks.

Its call spray my friend. lots and lots of spray. however it may not last long.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a lid, exahust (or just a cutout), i take it you are a a4 so get a nice sized converter and gears. you should be able to get all that for around $1000-$1500. that will definetly make you alot faster/quicker, then race him again.

sorry if this is to much i dont know what your budget is and what "cheap" mods are to you.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Well, I'm guessing your LS1 is an automatic so it is a very good possibility that it has a 2.73 gear in it. I would go with a 3.42 or a 3.73 first off. Then lid and exhaust. If you have to drive the car alot on the interstate and stuff, I would go with a 3.42. If you can drive it whenever you want and you aren't worried about great gas mileage, go with the 3.73's.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

mine is cammed and i beat one like 6 car links around 80 mph. And wasnt really gettin on it cause theres alot of cops on that road. I would just get a lid, gears and exhaust, like the other 2 ppl has said.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Scammer Alert!

Yes i got headers full exhaust ported polished throttle body lid and i took an 06 by about 3 lengths
Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea dont let the evo's and sti's times fool you. yea they are quick. but its all because of the killer 60fts. if your gonna run an evo and say the evo is 3-4 tenths faster than you. that 3-4 tenths is all from the first 100 feet. a good set of tires will fix that.

those cars dont have the greatest top end. and esp if the driver isnt willing to bang the gears and rev it up they will bog off the line pretty bad.

just get exhaust/headers/lid and a good set of street nittos just enough to let you grab well. you will be fine vs them stock.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
yea dont let the evo's and sti's times fool you. yea they are quick. but its all because of the killer 60fts. if your gonna run an evo and say the evo is 3-4 tenths faster than you. that 3-4 tenths is all from the first 100 feet. a good set of tires will fix that.

those cars dont have the greatest top end. and esp if the driver isnt willing to bang the gears and rev it up they will bog off the line pretty bad.

just get exhaust/headers/lid and a good set of street nittos just enough to let you grab well. you will be fine vs them stock.
Not true when dealing with the '06 Evo's. They are trapping 104-106 stock. True the 60' helps but they no longer die off up top.

As far as $1k in mods getting you in the 11's it is quite easy without spray. All you need is a good driver. $80 MBC, $90 for ECUflash, $500 or so for a TBE, and a race gas tune. Or another $300 for alky injection.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a 1998 f-body. it's almost 10 years old. you could probably use a new tuneup (all new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, seafoam treatment) to get her running strong again. i wouldn't be surprised if you closed the gap a bit just by doing that. then, get yourself a lid and a cutout. that's a 10-20 hp gain right there.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Ohhh, here we go. I knew the Evo guys would be here soon. I was just at Englishtown last Saturday (This Sat was Swap meet) Two new Evo were there. I never seen either one break 13.4 and their trap was around 104. I think it is so funny how these guys magazine race all the time.A 13.0 is a very well driven ET. It is harder to launch these cars than you think. Racing at a track and magazine racing are two different things. These guys make it seem that all Evos and STIs run 13.0 every time. When will it end. I think they will finally end the BS when Domestic cars owners accept them and treat them like one of the guys. I honestly believe that import guys spend tons of cash they don't have just to try and beat Domestic perfomance cars. It is what they live for.
Hint: to the majority of Domestic owners, even if an import beats their domestic cars 20 times in a row, they will still never get their 100% respect.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Resident

no domestic owner will ever respect a car that sounds like a lawnmower. wait, i take that back. my 5 horsepower craftsman is WAY deeper than any evo i've ever heard and sounds a lot better. pair that with the fact that ANY motor can make power when it has a turbo and evo's are ugly as sin - and when i say ugly, i mean that's one hideous looking shopping cart - they simply won't get respect from true racers. and i don't care how fast your evo is. you can make anything fast. that's not the point. the point is that it still looks terrible, sounds terrible and has no ***** on its own. it's a tuner car. it's not powerful. it's simply set up well from the factory. it has no muscle.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

By the time you get the mods his car will probly have caught fire from all the wiring harness issuies they have lol wouldnt worry about it to much...... Worst thing is they wont even cover any of my bud's under warranty and its around 2g's to fix. But exhaust, lid, tires you should be right there with him, a nice stall wouldnt be a bad idea either but you said you didnt want to spend to much......
Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Yea, you knwo what, to anyone who posts, or has posted something about evos beating you and not getting respect, they dont need it. Your ego/dignity usally does just fine for them. A GOOD amount of them KNOW an evo is SLIGHLTY based of DSMs..and DSM guys are ******* nuts when thye do it right. Seriously, they care abotu ETs and nothing else it seems..
Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
they care abotu ETs and nothing else it seems..
that's because that's all an evo is good for - ET's. they are AWD. they can launch. yea, their ET's are good, but their trap speed is complete ***. get them from a 10 mph roll and suddenly they can't do ****. they're not fast cars. they're cars that can be made fast (like any others) that are good for ET's and handle decent - and look hideous the whole way down the track.

i'd rather run a 13.6 and look good with the t-tops off than run a 13.4 and look like a shopping cart going down the highway sounding like a pissed off weed whacker the whole time.

Quick Reply: Killed by a Evo