Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

BMW 335i?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At your altatude I think it will be a close race, possibly advantage to the Bimmer. I grew up in CO and the altatude sucks. Especially in an NA. The Bimmer runs a low boost setup that will not loose too much to the high DAs up there. And they like pretty aggressive gears on the BMWs.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll be a good run stock for stock. As mentioned, they're pretty easy to mod because of the TTs.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

They are not "easy to mod". Its a new engine and the first stock turbo BMW in a long time.

Virtually no exhaust shop will be fmailiar with them and the various angles, tight spots, and 02 sensor locations.

Likely no ECU products are out yet.

Nobody will have a intercooler and piping kit for awhile.

Who knows what turbos it uses (Thats not a rhetorical question, I'm curious) and thus what upgrades are bolt in affairs. Clearance for two turbos in an I6 engine bay with the kind of efficient intake manis BMW likes will be tough.

BUT, the gains will be great most likely. Its making its numbers on a very mild setup and BMW has gotten bit in the past with under QCing hi-po motors. Thus I suspect that this thing will be very overbuilt.

Its not that its easy to mod, its that its pretty quick stock, in a DA enviroment thats not good for an NA car, and has lots of potential.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
***Repost Police***

I imagine with just intake/full exhaust (when it comes)/tune, they're gonna be beastly.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vishnu and Active Autowerks both have piggyback ECU's and power packages for the 335i. There is only so much power it will be able to put down without an LSD.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparetire
They are not "easy to mod". Its a new engine and the first stock turbo BMW in a long time.

Virtually no exhaust shop will be fmailiar with them and the various angles, tight spots, and 02 sensor locations.

Likely no ECU products are out yet.

Nobody will have a intercooler and piping kit for awhile.

Who knows what turbos it uses (Thats not a rhetorical question, I'm curious) and thus what upgrades are bolt in affairs. Clearance for two turbos in an I6 engine bay with the kind of efficient intake manis BMW likes will be tough.
There are a handfull of exhaust setups already out, another hand full of tuners with software for the car. I haven't seen anyone with a front mount off the top of my head. There isn't a lot of room for aftermarket turbo options. There are already people modding the factory turbos.

I don't see what your argument is, but you haven't done the homework. Which is fine, but I'm a BMW tech so I'm just forwarding the info...

They are a little slower than E46 M3s, but are easier to make more power, with minor $$$ and mods. Stock for stock it's a drivers race. I've seen 335s go 13.6s. I've seen F bodies go 13.0s stock, and 13.9s stock. It's all about the driver...

LMAO off at the "look how much you spent" comment. That's ricer math, no excuses. Lame, lame, lame

Here's a couple pictures of some modded turbos about to hit the streets.

As you can see, the exhaust housing is cast with each exhaust manifold bank. They are small turbos, but this particular shop should have dyno numbers very soon running @ 14 pounds.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Trust
Saying something like that just makes you look like a tool, its run what you brung and who cares what it cost. If we bought our cars for bang for buck we didn't get the best one. I could have bought a 5.0 and made it a 10 second car with the price I paid just for my car, and even make a DSM a 10 sec car for pennies.
That was my point in saying, "Who cares? Race him and find out."

I was just giving the guy an "out" for people that need such a thing.

If I get beat by a fricken Prius, I'm gonna give the guy props... unless he/she's a total *****.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
There are a handfull of exhaust setups already out, another hand full of tuners with software for the car. I haven't seen anyone with a front mount off the top of my head. There isn't a lot of room for aftermarket turbo options. There are already people modding the factory turbos.

I don't see what your argument is, but you haven't done the homework. Which is fine, but I'm a BMW tech so I'm just forwarding the info...

They are a little slower than E46 M3s, but are easier to make more power, with minor $$$ and mods. Stock for stock it's a drivers race. I've seen 335s go 13.6s. I've seen F bodies go 13.0s stock, and 13.9s stock. It's all about the driver...

As you can see, the exhaust housing is cast with each exhaust manifold bank. They are small turbos, but this particular shop should have dyno numbers very soon running @ 14 pounds.
I stand corrected!

Thats pretty sweet that the aftermarket was that quick to the 335. Makes it a bit more of an option for me in a few years I am really surprised that its that developed already.

Edit: Love the open area downstream of the WG. Thats got to be one of the better laid-put internals I have seen. Not to mention the obviously adjustable WGA arm. Should make the stock turbine housings at least viable well above stock power without getting huge backpressure.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

The #s are Stock w/ catback, Procede 1.45 w/ catback, and the new Proced 2.0 beta w/ catback.

So just a catback and tuning is up to 376 rwhp/406 rwtq.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

What do these things weigh, and what's the stock axle ratio??
Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Jfulcher
The #s are Stock w/ catback, Procede 1.45 w/ catback, and the new Proced 2.0 beta w/ catback.

Yeah man, those numbers are RIDICULOUS... and they're so sexy too
Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
What do these things weigh, and what's the stock axle ratio??
They weigh about 3500-3600 lbs depending on options and have a 3.08 axle ratio.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jfulcher

impressive,a buddy here at work has one,haven't had a chance to ride in it yet..
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck I may think about adding one of these to the garage!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i really don't see anything great with 376 rwhp even with those 2 minor mods. the fucken thing's got 2 fucken turbos.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
i really don't see anything great with 376 rwhp even with those 2 minor mods. the fucken thing's got 2 fucken turbos.
Jesus man... quit whining and appreciate a nice/fast car
Old 06-15-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Jesus man... quit whining and appreciate a nice/fast car
stfu, hayzeus does not have to be brought up. i will cut your head off and **** down your throat. lol

but on the real, that type of hp should should not require 2 turbos. i hope the stock engine can make it past 450 safely. that bmw v6 without turbos is probably comparable to the older 350z engine. sad.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
stfu, hayzeus does not have to be brought up. i will cut your head off and **** down your throat. lol

but on the real, that type of hp should should not require 2 turbos. i hope the stock engine can make it past 450 safely. that bmw v6 without turbos is probably comparable to the older 350z engine. sad.
First off, it's an inline 6. Second, the amount of turbos that a car has doesn't have **** to do with the amount of power a car makes, just throttle response. The 335i is made for INSTANT response... zero lag. It has nearly 300lb/ft of torque at 2,000rpm, and 400lb/ft of torque by 3,000rpm. The whole, "but it has a turbo/blower/nitrous" argument does nothing but make you sound like a ricer
Old 06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, it's an inline 6. Second, the amount of turbos that a car has doesn't have **** to do with the amount of power a car makes, just throttle response. The 335i is made for INSTANT response... zero lag. It has nearly 300lb/ft of torque at 2,000rpm, and 400lb/ft of torque by 3,000rpm. The whole, "but it has a turbo/blower/nitrous" argument does nothing but make you sound like a ricer
wow, that's great. it's about the fact that for some reason bmw wanted to go twin and only give the car roughly a 100hp increase. i actually do spray and would get into a turbo. but you are seriously defending a 6 that would make around 250 minus 2 turbos. sts's single makes easily 100 hp for ls1's on a base kit with tune,pump, and injectors. there's a new twin for ls1's making 500hp on an all stock engine with the supporting mods.
why don't you go defend mustangs over at the bmw forums.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'm gonna have to agree with mustang guy here,caliswangin =