Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My trans am vs modded eagle talon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've had a dsm before and know what makes them fast. And I'm no ricer lol. But the awd dsm's are a good bit heavier but that doesn't mean you can catch them on down the road. If they're modded enough they just keep going like the energizer bunny or something. I have a friend pushing 500 to the ground in his awd talon and that thing will reach 150 and not even be breakin a sweat. Its quite amazing how fast they can be and that with stock internals..cams ONLY.
The funny thing about my lil bro's car is that it has been very reliable even after all the mods he's done. The motor only has about 78,000 and the tranny is fully built. But after owning one and spending more money fixing them than modding them...it got kinda old. My 96 ta never failed me except a few small things and my 02 has been great. I am building an awd eclipse for basically track only though. Still have a love for that boost...it's addicting lol
Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

my little one halled ***, eclipse GSX... but i dont see it winning unless he has that big turbo and somem ore little bolt ons... cute cars but brake down is there bit problem i see
Old 05-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Teching In

They haul *** when modded right. I love mine. Can't wait to go to the track this year after I get it dialed in.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Launching!

8lbs will be slow matter what turbo he has in that application. Yes, in theory a DSM could be fast on 8 lbs. But there are no fast (over 300HP) DSMs running at 8PSI. None of the turbos available flow much on the 2.0L-2.4L at that prssure ratio regardless of cams/bolt-ons/tune.

Secondarily, I have never seen a DSM below 10PSI. Stock my car sat right at 11PSI on a tired old 14B on a high mileage engine.

Yes its a 4G63. No its not an Evo motor. The people who say that are douchebags.

Evo III 16G turbos (have one on my Laser) are great for a DD. They come in right in the low 500s shipped, and they can make mid 300WHP on a complete well thought out setup AWD. Fastest examples I have seen have hit mid 11s, but not in street trim at all. In street trim its more like a mid to high 12s turbo in most cases.

Cars are about as reliable as their owners. Sadly most DSMers are kinda dumb cheap skates. The car is a victim of its own success. Much like the 5.0. Since its cheap and fast, you get lots of stupid people gravitating toward it. I hope the same does not happento the LS1, but I see coming.

If he is at 300HP, he has about that much TQ with an Evo 16G. The turbo hits very early and thus makes great TQ per HP compared to larger turbos. With DSMs thats not neccesarily as meaningful as with an LSX though. Your car lives betweenthe high 3s and low 6s. His lives between 4 and 7 with shorter gearing. So the Hp up top means more to him.

If he has 300WHP, you're going to loose. He is lighter, has more aggressive gears, and more traction with similar power and aerodynamics. But I doubt he does. If he tossed out some BS EVO motor line and claimed 240 TQ on a 300HP car he does not know anything about anything. He will be slow and make a ton of excuses.

God I hate stupid people messing up DSMs. Have fun toying with this retard.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Ya know, I don't see how somebody could not know how to mod a DSM with all of the sites and info available on the web. Even a big snail won't put down 300 WHP at 8 PSI. My Son has a '97 AWD with an FPGreen on it with all the good supporting mods and it makes 360 WHP at 20 PSI. With C-16 and tune it makes 510 WHP at 30 PSI. We don't run it that high because he wants it to live a while. If the guy is running 8 PSI you'll smoke him.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
You all realize that the amount of boost he is running doesn't mean anything, right?

I can build a LS1 on 5lbs of boost that would walk all over a LS1 on 15psi.

cfm > psi
And he's the retard? Quit talking about pressure like it matters.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Launching!

One of my co-workers has an eagle talon with a forged block and forged internals, BIG turbo, and tons of other stuff. He hasn't ran it yet, just finishing up the build, but he says he expects to run 9's.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Forged block?

The crank is forged stock.

The block is Iron and the people who are making the power to test it suspect it runs out of life around 1300WHP.

Fordged DSM bottom ends are retarded cheap. You could get forged pistons and rods good to 700WHP for about 1500.

GL to your freind. The DSM world has been very competitive this year so far.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Have you guys raced yet?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

And he's the retard? Quit talking about pressure like it matters.
Not sure what youre saying here. CFM is far more important than boost levels.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

I say race the guy! I've raced several EVo's and I've been beaten and I'v also won some too. So not knowing really what he's got, then only way to tell is just say..."let's get it on"
Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XakEp
Not sure what youre saying here. CFM is far more important than boost levels.
That's exactly what I'm saying. PSI means nothing, yet these guys keep saying he won't ever beat you on 8psi blah blah blah. I've seen 8psi do some pretty mean things...Like max out a 1000whp dyno...
Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

That's exactly what I'm saying. PSI means nothing, yet these guys keep saying he won't ever beat you on 8psi blah blah blah. I've seen 8psi do some pretty mean things...Like max out a 1000whp dyno...
Ah, gotcha. My bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
Dude my little brother has a fwd Laser turbo (same car as a talon) and he's puttin down around 290 or so and he walks away from me like I'm hitting the brakes...and I DO NOT catch up he just keeps embarrassing me. So no you have no chance man. Sorry BTW I am stock.
Don't worry. Its only a matter of time before something on that cars blows up (engine, trans, transfer cases, diffs), they are pieces of **** as far as quality and reliability go.

Then of course you have the last laugh, because even though your car may be slower, it still actually runs
Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Yeah on a 572. You need larger pressure ratios on a smaller engine to make power with any turbo. Now I do agree that boost is far from the be all measure. 23PSI on a 16G is not the same a 23PSI on a GT35R on a 2L. But no DSM on 8PSI will be fast unless its spraying.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Don't worry. Its only a matter of time before something on that cars blows up (engine, trans, transfer cases, diffs), they are pieces of **** as far as quality and reliability go.

Then of course you have the last laugh, because even though your car may be slower, it still actually runs
Damn! You're getting slow Dude. It took ya one whole day to get one this thread to badmouth a DSM. We've got 30K miles on the current setup with no issues other than a cracked weld in the Intercooler that cost a whole 20 bucks to fix. What a DIPSHIT.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Yeah on a 572. You need larger pressure ratios on a smaller engine to make power with any turbo. Now I do agree that boost is far from the be all measure. 23PSI on a 16G is not the same a 23PSI on a GT35R on a 2L. But no DSM on 8PSI will be fast unless its spraying.
Actually it was a 3.0l I6.

And turbocharger flow isn't everything, in fact, it is a very small part of the system. The engine's flow is what we are principally worried about. I'd rather have a H/C/I 346 on 5psi than a stock 346 on 10psi. It'd be faster, make more power, have a better curve, and be more reliable.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Actually it was a 3.0l I6.

And turbocharger flow isn't everything, in fact, it is a very small part of the system. The engine's flow is what we are principally worried about. I'd rather have a H/C/I 346 on 5psi than a stock 346 on 10psi. It'd be faster, make more power, have a better curve, and be more reliable.
The smaller the initial displacement size of the motor will change that equation. In the end, the final numbers are the same but the turbo selection will be more important with the smaller the motor.

Other than that, we agree.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
Damn! You're getting slow Dude. It took ya one whole day to get one this thread to badmouth a DSM. We've got 30K miles on the current setup with no issues other than a cracked weld in the Intercooler that cost a whole 20 bucks to fix. What a DIPSHIT.
Everyone knows DSM's are poorly built pieces of ****. The fact that yours hasn't blown up yet makes no difference, you are merely the exception to tens of thousands of others who will agree that they are complete garbage vehicles.

You can't argue with general concensus there, genius. Nobody gives a rats *** that you'rs still runs, you have to look at the big picture.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Everyone knows DSM's are poorly built pieces of ****. The fact that yours hasn't blown up yet makes no difference, you are merely the exception to tens of thousands of others who will agree that they are complete garbage vehicles.

You can't argue with general concensus there, genius. Nobody gives a rats *** that you'rs still runs, you have to look at the big picture.
Out of curiosity, whats the big picture? That american car makers are getting creamed all over the world and even in their own backyard? Seriously, what point are you trying to make besides unsubstantiated blanket statements and blatant trolling?

Care to link us to these 10s of thousands of others who think these are garbage cars? Or is that horseshit too?