Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Z28 vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...... not that this anything to do with a Z28 vs STI,but here is "one video"of an LS1 pullin a supra up top hard.If the TA didnt let off,he could have just kept pullin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts3uNkAmn6o
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

As far as pullin an STI, with a 2.73 geared z28,it has been done.By me and it was a white one,that sounded stock to me.I had my GF(120lbs) and he was alone.He launched a half a car off the line on me,but i pulled him thru 2nd and made about a 1 1/2 cars in front by 95mph.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Funny how much trash ONEBAD talks for someone who can't even prove they have a car
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
Funny how much trash ONEBAD talks for someone who can't even prove they have a car
What you believe doesn't matter. I don't need to prove anything to you, because it makes no difference either way. Nobody cares what you think, especially not me. And what you believe does not change the reality of anything, because you are a worthless troll.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by six_string_wiz
As far as pullin an STI, with a 2.73 geared z28,it has been done.By me and it was a white one,that sounded stock to me.I had my GF(120lbs) and he was alone.He launched a half a car off the line on me,but i pulled him thru 2nd and made about a 1 1/2 cars in front by 95mph.
Sounds accurate to me. Even with the A4's less than ideal gear ratios, I doubt that the LS1 falls far enough out of its powerband to get down around 235WHP, which is what STI's make at their peak.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow

Originally Posted by 105
Yesterday I just got done putting my valvetrain back together after checking my pushrods and installing my TR6 plugs(getting ready for nitrous) and went to pick up a couple of my friends and drive it around a little.

So we're just cruising and I pull up to a light behind a car in the right lane and out of nowhere this blue WRX rolls past me to the line. I didn't even notice at first but my friend started shouting "WRX, WRX, WRX, WRX! You gotta race him!" and I replied "Man I kinda wanted to take it easy tonight....ok I'll do it...."
As soon as the light turned green I pull around the car in front of me and got right up on the rear of the WRX. He moves to the right line and I pulled up next to him in second gear going about 40 but as soon as the nose of my car gets next to him he jumps! So I stomped on it and slowly caught up to him, shifted to third and past him by half a car. Then he caught up even with me again. Then I got up by half a car and still pulling slowly and let off at about 100. The speed limit was like 45 so I figured that was a good speed to shut down - I have got to get a good radar detector.
So it was a damn close race and he had plenty of advantages. There was only the driver in his car and 3 total in mine plus I had to play a little catch up. I wish I could've talked to the guy to see if he had anything in it, but he just waved and went on. The only thing I could see was probably an after market muffler and we could hear the BOV.
I Took One Stock, Those Cars Are Overrated.....
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
ONESADASSWS6 has a gold trans am......I wouldn't want to prove I owned it either.

Last edited by Blue04; 05-22-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blue04
ONESADASSWS6 has gold trans am......I wouldn't want prove I owned it either.
So does this mean you actually know him?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, what a good thread.

Anyways Nice Kill! Sti's are no slouch on the street with a good driver

I raced a slightly modded Sti from a dig last year in my LS1 RX7, and he actually hung nose to nose with me till I got to the end of 1st and was gone from that point (MY car was on MT's and hooked fully in 1st on the street).
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
So does this mean you actually know him?
No, thankfully not. He has just trolled himself to death on this and many other sites and his stupid looking boat has been posted before.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
This is getting pretty basic. Do you understand the concept of a powerband? Do you understand the concept of gear ratios? It is clear that you do not. 280 WHP is at peak. An F-body with the 2.73 has a very tough time keeping the car in its powerband. Furthermore, the torque multiplication of the A4 is very low. This is not rocket science.
Lets talk about powerband and gear ratios. When you are going from a dig or city speed rolls the 2.73's will definately hold the LS1 back. But take that car and go from a highway speed roll and you are in a whole new ball game where the 2.73 gears can actually help.

What? That's blasphemy, I know. But remember that the 2.73 geared car can hold 3rd gear (1:1) all the way to 162 (when the speed governor would kick on). The LS1 is basically in its powerband at 4500-6000 rpm's. I think the peak is at 5400 but anywhere in the 4500-6000 range is making decent power for us. Take a auto and mash the gas in the 65-70 mph range and what happens?

The transmission downshifts into second (but towards in the top of second and well in the powerband) and pulls pretty hard. Then the 2/3 shift happens and the stock torque converters shift extension drops the rpm's down to 4000.

Now 4000 rpm's isn't exactly in the powerband but it's not too far off either. For example, when I dynoed 298 rwhp my car made peak HP at 5600 rpm's. At 4000 rpm's I made 282 rwhp/369 rwtq so it's not exactly a slouch as it rapidly approaches the 5000+ rpm range.

The key for an auto racing from a roll is pretty simple regardless of 3.23 or 2.73. Don't start in your dead spot and don't let the other car get the hit. Other then that we can roll race with lots of success with computer controlled shifts and converter controlled shift extensions. We never miss a gear, shift slow or have a "slipping clutch" holding us back. Plus it's a big advantage at highway runs when you only have one shift and it's computer controlled
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Teching In

No, thankfully not. He has just trolled himself to death on this and many other sites and his stupid looking boat has been posted before.
Damn. I was going to say I don't live too far from you and was hoping to set up some kind of race.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

ONESADASSWS6 has a gold trans am......I wouldn't want to prove I owned it either.
Do I now?? How do you figure this??

Newsflash: You're wrong, dipshit.

Congrats on making yourself look like an idiot. You don't know me, yet you pretend you do. Sorry, I don't have any friends who are complete ricer morons, so I can't possibly know you in person.

And just for the record - you drive an STI, you aren't one to making fun of anyone else's choice in vehicles, period. You drive one of the ugliest and most riced out stock vehicles on the road, so it would be a good idea if you just shut the **** up
Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darrensls1

Now 4000 rpm's isn't exactly in the powerband but it's not too far off either. For example, when I dynoed 298 rwhp my car made peak HP at 5600 rpm's. At 4000 rpm's I made 282 rwhp/369 rwtq so it's not exactly a slouch as it rapidly approaches the 5000+ rpm range.
Exactly what I was saying. The LS1 still makes more power at 4,000RPM than the STI makes in its entire powerband. So even with the less than ideal gear ratios, a 2.73 LS1 can and will beat an STI on the highway.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Gold is a rare color for Fbodies.It looks nice in the bright sun.Its really a love hate color.Anyways....my car goes to about 6000 in 1st and goes down to 4100 into 2nd.It holds 2nd til about 85-90 mph.I never measured it exactly.My KDWs grip the road farely well for the"Close to stock "power im makin.I tuned the auto with a HPP3 for my shifts.It doesnt launch as slow as some would think.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Lets talk about powerband and gear ratios. When you are going from a dig or city speed rolls the 2.73's will definately hold the LS1 back. But take that car and go from a highway speed roll and you are in a whole new ball game where the 2.73 gears can actually help.

What? That's blasphemy, I know. But remember that the 2.73 geared car can hold 3rd gear (1:1) all the way to 162 (when the speed governor would kick on). The LS1 is basically in its powerband at 4500-6000 rpm's. I think the peak is at 5400 but anywhere in the 4500-6000 range is making decent power for us. Take a auto and mash the gas in the 65-70 mph range and what happens?

The transmission downshifts into second (but towards in the top of second and well in the powerband) and pulls pretty hard. Then the 2/3 shift happens and the stock torque converters shift extension drops the rpm's down to 4000.

The key for an auto racing from a roll is pretty simple regardless of 3.23 or 2.73. Don't start in your dead spot and don't let the other car get the hit. Other then that we can roll race with lots of success with computer controlled shifts and converter controlled shift extensions. We never miss a gear, shift slow or have a "slipping clutch" holding us back. Plus it's a big advantage at highway runs when you only have one shift and it's computer controlled
No doubt at all that this happens, but we weren't starting from a 70 mph roll; that is way to high to really race IMHO (starting a race above the speed limit is iffy haha, and they don't last too long, but that is just me and my friends. I usually only see big Turbo Supras race from that speed).

If you would like to know, we raced four times (only one from a dig).

We did a 25 mph roll. I have no idea what his gear went into, but I went into 2nd. At first, we stayed with each other till around 40, but after he shifted, I pulled about 1.5 cars on him (1.5 past his front bumper) till I had to shift 3rd (53~ mph). After my shift to 3rd, I stopped pulling as hard, and I believe I stopped pulling right before I shifted 4th (80~ mph). We went to 110 on this one and I won with about two cars.

The next was a 35 mph roll (my 2nd gear). He didn't downshift is what I think happened as it was a slaughter for him. After I pulled about two cars by 50, I stopped.

The next was a 50 mph. This was much close. I won by 1/2 a car by 110 (he was very close to my rear bumper).

The last was the dig. I decided to not launch against him hard and by 110 I had two cars at the end. I pulled all of these cars by 50.

FWIW, I know the LS1 powerband, had one for two years . As I said, if we went higher, he probably would have won, so I don't doubt that if we went from say a 70 mph roll, the STi would have lost. But then again, if I launched hard from a dig, it would have been very bad for him. I don't exactly remember completely, but 2.73 geared LS1 run high 13's @ 101-103?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Its always subjective on stock times for fbodies.
At Speedworld,ive seen an 06 STI Doing 13.5-13.6s everytime.That same night another Suby went 12.2,except it was just a WRX body and not an STI.Fbodies can cut sub 13.5 times on 2.73s.Maybe not bone stock and beat on.But a lid and a catback,some sticky tires and a little here and there,its a walk in the park.Thats all just my .02,No flaming here.just experiences.

Last edited by six_string_wiz; 05-22-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 105
...my friend started shouting "WRX, WRX, WRX, WRX! You gotta race him!"
Talk about props to the Subaru!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Exactly what I was saying. The LS1 still makes more power at 4,000RPM than the STI makes in its entire powerband.
What the hell does this even mean? That if you add the horsepower that the STi will make at each rpm over the course of the entire band, it'll be less than the LS1 makes at 4k rpms?

You do realize thats prolly several thousand horsepower, right?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XakEp
What the hell does this even mean? That if you add the horsepower that the STi will make at each rpm over the course of the entire band, it'll be less than the LS1 makes at 4k rpms?

You do realize thats prolly several thousand horsepower, right?
Wow, you are slow...

Let me spell it out for you

The LS1 makes ~280WHP at 4000RPM, for example.

The STI makes 235WHP, peak power. Meaning throughout its entire powerband, regardless of RPM, the most it can possibly make is 235WHP.

So the LS1 makes more power at 4,000RPM (~280WHP) than the STi makes throughout its entire powerband (a maximum of ~235WHP).

Its becoming obvious why you drive a Type R, you really have no idea whats going on.

Last edited by ONEBADASSWS6; 05-22-2007 at 08:45 PM.