Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Z28 vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
No doubt at all that this happens, but we weren't starting from a 70 mph roll; that is way to high to really race IMHO (starting a race above the speed limit is iffy haha, and they don't last too long, but that is just me and my friends. I usually only see big Turbo Supras race from that speed).
I wasn't commenting on any specific races. I was commenting on the stock powerband and gearing of a LS1.

We did a 25 mph roll. I have no idea what his gear went into, but I went into 2nd. At first, we stayed with each other till around 40, but after he shifted, I pulled about 1.5 cars on him (1.5 past his front bumper) till I had to shift 3rd (53~ mph). After my shift to 3rd, I stopped pulling as hard, and I believe I stopped pulling right before I shifted 4th (80~ mph). We went to 110 on this one and I won with about two cars.
At 25 MPH a 2.73 geared LS1 would downshift to first gear and pull hard as it would be in a good powerband. Then it would shift to second and come down to 4000 rpm's and be pretty strong as it is right at the beginning of the powerband. Basically the same rules apply here except that instead of one shift you have two.

The next was a 35 mph roll (my 2nd gear). He didn't downshift is what I think happened as it was a slaughter for him. After I pulled about two cars by 50, I stopped.
2.73 geared cars hit thier major dead spot at about 37 mph. He must have hit the very tip of this where it would not go to first but rather goes to the bottom of second (well below the powerband).

The next was a 50 mph. This was much close. I won by 1/2 a car by 110 (he was very close to my rear bumper).
This makes absolutely no sense. 50 mph is still in the thick of his dead spot and he would be in the middle of second gear (but still well below his powerband). He should have pulled hard in the 25 mph start but weak in this 50 mph one. Something is fishy here.

FWIW, I know the LS1 powerband, had one for two years . As I said, if we went higher, he probably would have won, so I don't doubt that if we went from say a 70 mph roll, the STi would have lost. But then again, if I launched hard from a dig, it would have been very bad for him. I don't exactly remember completely, but 2.73 geared LS1 run high 13's @ 101-103?
2.73 geared LS1's can very in performance. A 2002 Z28 with 2.73's should be faster then a 1998 Trans Am with 2.73's. The main reasons here are a better flowing exhaust manifold, ls6 intake and less curb weight. So you can see a 2.73 geared LS1 run 13.8 @ 102. But you could also see a 2.73 geared LS1 run 13.3 @ 105.

But what does a stock STI trap? 98-101? If an auto LS1 is in a good powerband 20-35 mph or 55+ mph then it'll have no problem utilizing its powerband and showing exactly why 102-105 > 98-101.

The only advantage an average stock STI has over an average stock 2.73 geared LS1 is from a dig (obviously) and from a 37-55 roll (dead spot). Beyond that my money is on the LS1. Especially since computers never miss a shift, shift early, shift late or complain of a slipping clutch
Old 05-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Wow, you are slow...

Let me spell it out for you

The LS1 makes ~280WHP at 4000RPM, for example.

The STI makes 235WHP, peak power. Meaning throughout its entire powerband, regardless of RPM, the most it can possibly make is 235WHP.

So the LS1 makes more power at 4,000RPM (~280WHP) than the STi makes throughout its entire powerband (a maximum of ~235WHP).

Its becoming obvious why you drive a Type R, you really have no idea whats going on.
You didnt say peak power, ********. You said "in its entire powerband". And I've never owned a Type R, what the hell are you on?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darrensls1
But what does a stock STI trap? 98-101? If an auto LS1 is in a good powerband 20-35 mph or 55+ mph then it'll have no problem utilizing its powerband and showing exactly why 102-105 > 98-101.
I was thinking that stock STi's trapped in the 103-104 range. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XakEp
You didnt say peak power, ********. You said "in its entire powerband". And I've never owned a Type R, what the hell are you on?
It was self explainatory, ********. Nobody adds up all the power at each RPM, what are you on drugs??

And by Type R I mean your shitty riceburner, not literally a Type R. Damn you are thick in the head...

Go back to watching 3F3F, theres a lot of people in that movie just like you
Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
I was thinking that stock STi's trapped in the 103-104 range. Maybe I'm wrong.
Most trap 100-102MPH. They aren't that fast. The low ET is because of AWD, not real power.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Most trap 100-102MPH. They aren't that fast. The low ET is because of AWD, not real power.
God your retarded.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I
Average for an STi that drives it well will be about 100-103. But that number is slightly obfuscated by the fact that the 04-06 STi has to shift at 100 mph. This is why 2007 STi's, which have a taller 4th gear, trap at 103-106.

As for that 50 mph race..I'm pretty sure it was at 50, but it could have been at 60? But I'd swear it was a 50 mph roll race. I'll ask my buddy (this race was about a year ago..right after I bought my car..and lol..his car now has a rear-mounted turbo..but I'll ask him if he remembers).
Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Average for an STi that drives it well will be about 100-103. But that number is slightly obfuscated by the fact that the 04-06 STi has to shift at 100 mph. This is why 2007 STi's, which have a taller 4th gear, trap at 103-106.

As for that 50 mph race..I'm pretty sure it was at 50, but it could have been at 60? But I'd swear it was a 50 mph roll race. I'll ask my buddy (this race was about a year ago..right after I bought my car..and lol..his car now has a rear-mounted turbo..but I'll ask him if he remembers).
So....in all fairness,it would be a drivers race"stock for stock".It sucks your buddy agreed to go from 50mph.Thats the "deadest"spot for an ls1.I only agree to race from a dig,30 mph or 65ish.Not that this matters but in crazy AZ,most WRXs are faster than the STIs here.Its like a trend or some ****,to buy the lesser model and spend the extra cash going faster.My only bias against a scoobie, is that i would choose the ls1 over it,for an all out drag car.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by six_string_wiz
So....in all fairness,it would be a drivers race"stock for stock".It sucks your buddy agreed to go from 50mph.Thats the "deadest"spot for an ls1.I only agree to race from a dig,30 mph or 65ish.Not that this matters but in crazy AZ,most WRXs are faster than the STIs here.Its like a trend or some ****,to buy the lesser model and spend the extra cash going faster.My only bias against a scoobie, is that i would choose the ls1 over it,for an all out drag car.
Absolutely a driver's race. I never posted this race here and I only brought it up after hearing that an STi will get killed.

I never understand the WRX/STi drag cars. Much too expensive for too little results. That's not the purpose of either car. Hell, the gear ratios of the STi are made for road racing; when I take it out, I am always in my powerband at any speed making it a blast on any turny course or road.

And STi's are a fortune really. I can see why someone who wants a drag car/fast strait line car to go with the WRX. Tires alone for an STi are 300 dollars a piece and they last about 10,000 miles if driven like the car should be. Brakes are about 1500 (fronts last about 20,000 if driven nicely) and insurance is absurd. Lucky I have no points on my license. The WRX only has to deal with the insurance.

However, it will cost much, much, much more to make a WRX handle as well and do as well on a track instead of just buying an STi (brakes, tranny, suspension, completely new differentials, tires/rims (the rims are 800 each new..) etc.).
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Banned

It was self explainatory, ********. Nobody adds up all the power at each RPM, what are you on drugs??

And by Type R I mean your shitty riceburner, not literally a Type R. Damn you are thick in the head...

Go back to watching 3F3F, theres a lot of people in that movie just like you
Holy crap, just go post a banme or something already.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

All I can tell you is what I have seen. There have been a few running at NYIRP and they always run mid 13's @ 100. I did a google search on STI's before and seen some places calling the traps as low as 96 while others go as high as 103. But the bottom line for me at least is the "average driver" factor. Which is probably why most people at tracks report them trapping 99-101.

You will always get the best trap speed out of an auto LS1. You will not always get it out of a manual STI considering the average owner is young and inexperienced.

As for 2007 STI, I havn't seen one run yet. But I do look forward to it. Assuming I'm in the lane next to them

You were probably just mistaken. 50 MPH in a 2.73 or 3.23 auto is a dead spot and will give the owner a noticeable disadvantage. This is why I would never do a wot run from any speed other then 0-30 or 55+. Inbetween for me sucked until I got a bigger stall.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Do I now?? How do you figure this??

Newsflash: You're wrong, dipshit.

Congrats on making yourself look like an idiot. You don't know me, yet you pretend you do. Sorry, I don't have any friends who are complete ricer morons, so I can't possibly know you in person.

And just for the record - you drive an STI, you aren't one to making fun of anyone else's choice in vehicles, period. You drive one of the ugliest and most riced out stock vehicles on the road, so it would be a good idea if you just shut the **** up
Oh this is good....yeah Im sure you aren't the same douchebag with the Sport Gold Metallic boat who gets banned with every new screenname he chooses. If for some reason you aren't that guy, my insincere apologies and congrats on being his ******* clone. Seriously....congrats. To have that terrible an attitude on top of ignorance takes work.

Im not even going to address anything else about you other than you are a bullsh*tting moron and everything about you is a GD joke.

See signature above STI. It says 2004 Cobra. Please bash that ride as well ()

Anyways, resume your trolling.

Last edited by Blue04; 05-23-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

at this thread.

I haven't had my LT1 for a number of years now, but I remember it dying around 4800 rpm.
Thats wierd, mine doesn't "die" until about 5700 rpms .
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I can tell you is what I have seen. There have been a few running at NYIRP and they always run mid 13's @ 100. I did a google search on STI's before and seen some places calling the traps as low as 96 while others go as high as 103. But the bottom line for me at least is the "average driver" factor. Which is probably why most people at tracks report them trapping 99-101.
Completely true, but you know..bench racing is just that. Furthermore, it is *extremely* easy to bog an STi off the line with the stock tires. They will not spin at all (they come with racing slicks from the factory..easily one the stickiest tire I have ever seen from the factory) which can have adverse effects for drag racing a car that sends 50-70 WHP to each wheel (front vs rear). Hell, when Motor Trend did a long term for an 04, they got better times and trap when the tires had a lot of miles on them. They commented on how they were able to spin the tires at the end of the test.

Originally Posted by
Thats wierd, mine doesn't "die" until about 5700 rpms .
Last time I drove mine was about four years ago, and the powerband does not stay in my head lol. I think I remember the dotted red-line starting at 5200 (with the fuel cut off, like you say, at 5700)?

Last edited by Gloveperson; 05-23-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

FWIW, I know the LS1 powerband, had one for two years .

Last time I drove mine was about four years ago, and the powerband does not stay in my head lol.
?????
Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

I think I'll just watch this thread...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Completely true, but you know..bench racing is just that.
I have raced automatic LS1's (both 2.73's and 3.23's). I know the motors, transmissions, converters, sweet spots & dead spots like the back of my hand. I know the stock LS1's I have watched or raced trapped 103-106. I know the stock STI's I have watched or raced trapped 99-101. Based on this personal and first hand knowledge I can say this:

If I had to put money on a race from 25-110 and the two cars were a randomly picked stock automatic LS1 and a randomly picked stock manual STI (excluding 07 models) then the smart money is on the LS1. If that race is 60-110 then the smart money is still on the LS1. If that race is 0-110 then the smart money is on the STI. If that race is 45-110 then the smart money is on the STI.

You can call that bench racing but I call it common sense.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
?????
I had an LT1 and an LS1

LT1 I had four years ago (was totalled after a lady ran a stop sign) and I bought an LS1 that I had for two years. Last year I bought the STi.

2003=bought LT1. Later in 03-LT1 totalled (don't remember exactly, sometime in August I think).

April 04=bought LS1. April 06=Sold LS1. (two years to the day ironically)

May 06=Bought STi.

Originally Posted by
I have raced automatic LS1's (both 2.73's and 3.23's). I know the motors, transmissions, converters, sweet spots & dead spots like the back of my hand. I know the stock LS1's I have watched or raced trapped 103-106. I know the stock STI's I have watched or raced trapped 99-101. Based on this personal and first hand knowledge I can say this:

If I had to put money on a race from 25-110 and the two cars were a randomly picked stock automatic LS1 and a randomly picked stock manual STI (excluding 07 models) then the smart money is on the LS1. If that race is 60-110 then the smart money is still on the LS1. If that race is 0-110 then the smart money is on the STI. If that race is 45-110 then the smart money is on the STI.

You can call that bench racing but I call it common sense.
I mean bench racing in that we are comparing two cars using fictional drivers and using averages for both cars. There is an error on all the factors here, especially for the STi. I wasn't disputing your claims, only saying that we are making educated guesses

But FWIW, I mentioned this before, but the 04-06 STi's trap speed is obfuscated in that the last shift is literally at the end of the 1/4 mile. I'd wager that if 4th gear went up to 105, the car would trap at around 105, instead of 100 (4th gear redlines at 100..I shift earlier around 6500, which is the same technique those, from what I have read/heard, trap at 100+)
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

But FWIW, I mentioned this before, but the 04-06 STi's trap speed is obfuscated in that the last shift is literally at the end of the 1/4 mile. I'd wager that if 4th gear went up to 105, the car would trap at around 105, instead of 100 (4th gear redlines at 100..I shift earlier around 6500, which is the same technique those, from what I have read/heard, trap at 100+)
I know what you are saying but that doesn't change the fact that any race going into triple digits and starting anywhere other then a dig or dead spot favors the A4 LS1. Even if both cars trap 103 it's not like the STI can regain any ground lost during the shifts. The 2.73 geared auto LS1 shifts fast and holds third gear to 160+ while in full powerband.

Racing from 20-120 causes the 2.73 geared LS1 to shift twice. That same race causes the STI to shift four times. Both cars have good top end and both cars stay in or near powerband the entire race. While the STI weighs less the LS1 makes more RWHP to compensate that.

I still got my money on the LS1 car with less shifts and computer controlled shifts.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you are saying but that doesn't change the fact that any race going into triple digits and starting anywhere other then a dig or dead spot favors the A4 LS1. Even if both cars trap 103 it's not like the STI can regain any ground lost during the shifts. The 2.73 geared auto LS1 shifts fast and holds third gear to 160+ while in full powerband.

Racing from 20-120 causes the 2.73 geared LS1 to shift twice. That same race causes the STI to shift four times. Both cars have good top end and both cars stay in or near powerband the entire race. While the STI weighs less the LS1 makes more RWHP to compensate that.

I still got my money on the LS1 car with less shifts and computer controlled shifts.
Haha, I wasn't disagreeing with you on that race