Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a New Mustang with Roush blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by will82
ANY of you Ford guys want to respond to this???
I'm not a Ford guy, but I happen to own one so I'll share my 2 cents.

I'm interested to hear how you defend a setup that uses more space/weight/moving parts for less displacement & power.
First off, there is no need to defend a badass motor. Period.
I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, the LSx platform is
incredible in terms of potential and simplicity. The DOHC 4.6 4V motor
is very stout and respectable in it's own right. In the case of the '03
Cobra motor, Ford chose to use a low compression, small CID motor
(with a bullshit blower on it) to make power. GM uses big naturally
aspirated BIG CID motors with high compression to make power. Is
that really hard to comprehend?

How much power are you making with that P1? I would certainly hope
in the 7xxx rwhp range.

Keep in mind that both the 4.6 4V and the LSx motors are nothing in the
world of drag racing. I'm talking real racing, not this 10 second car stuff.
It unfortunately but true...they just aren't competitive at the highest
level.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
In the case of the '03
Cobra motor, Ford chose to use a low compression, small CID motor
(with a bullshit blower on it) to make power. GM uses big naturally
aspirated BIG CID motors with high compression to make power. Is
that really hard to comprehend?
Again, my point is that the GM engine is not BIG, compared to the DOHC 4.6L 4V motor Ford uses. IT MAKES NO SENSE! I'm not a GM only homer, I would love to buy a Ford Muscle car. If they would just follow the old saying, "keep it simple stupid" they could be in a much better position. Imagine a Single cam, overhead valve motor with forged internals in the Cobra or GT500. Less weight under the hood, more displacement, better torque, and that style of engine is much simpler i.e. less expensive to manufacture. Frankly, the only problems with the GT500 are weight and price. Using a simple engine design would help in both areas. It's just plain dumb on Ford's part, period. The engine is very stout and respectable, but why not make a better one when it will cost less? It just makes no sense to me. It would be a win-win situation! Of course by the same token we can argue that GM is equally as stupid for getting the engine design right, but then not simply adding a few $100 to the vehice price and using quality forged pistons and quality rod bolts. Absolutely rediculous.

How much power are you making with that P1? I would certainly hope in the 7xxx rwhp range.
Instead of using the blower to its full potential, I'm running a mere 6-7psi through my LS1 for around 500rwhp. How much boost does it take for all those stock blower Cobra guys to reach 500 to the wheels??? Plus all the bolt-ons? I'm just using some little shorty headers and exhaust. Of course I should probably ask how much boost it takes for them to reach 560 or More to the wheels, since that is about what it would take to outrun a 'vette with 500. Which is why I don't need to spend the extra cash in my bank account for forged internals and more boost, and why I didn't bother spending a few extra $$$ for a D1SC instead of a P1SC. Because my chances of running into Cobra at all are so slim, and my chances of running into your 600+ rwhp Cobra or another like you that can beat me are almost none. And that advantage of not needing as much peak power isn't because of only weight and aero either. Part of it has to do with the engine, the LS1.

Last edited by will82; 05-28-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I'm a Ford guy....perhaps you missed my response? Here's another.
Well the first response didn't have much substance, but this one in the link does, and hits the nail on the head. The Mod motor is very stout and very good. The LS1 is just slightly better, although it does have its own idiotic flaws. (Garbage Pistons )

The Ford motors advatage in strength to withstand boost has nothing to do with the engine design, it's just simply a matter of using the correct pistons, rods, rod bolts, etc. If they would use the same quality components, but in an engine similar in style to the LS1, it would be a real winner. And vise versa, if GM would build an LSX motor, but with the same quality internals as the Mod motor in the Ford Cobra, GT500, and GT, then they too would have a knock-out engine to offer. Leave it to American manufacturers to shoot themselves in the foot with stupidity. Making the change would save Ford $$$, and using better Pistons would only cost GM a fraction of the $500-$600 it costs us to buy them because of sheer quantity.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Teching In

The ls motor is not slightly better than the 03-04 cobra motor. As far as dependability goes they might be tit for tat but stock for stock the cobra engine makes more power and under modified conditions can handle a lot more hp for a lot longer than the ls motor. I completely agree that the ls motor is better than the 2v 4.6 in stock terms but not the cobra motor by no means. As far as how complicated a motor is, well, that's personal opinion. I've built 4.6 engines and think that there is nothing complicated at all about them. I've never built a ls engine nor seen one tore down. I've just heard that they are a bitch to work on and very expensive. A lot of ls guys would say the same about the 4.6.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Again, my point is that the GM engine is not BIG, compared to the DOHC 4.6L 4V motor Ford uses.
Are you actually comparing the external dimensions of each motor?
That's pretty much irrelevant to me. I'm talking about CID...you know...
cubic inches? That last time I checked, the external size of a motor doesn't
make power.

I won't waste my time replying to the remainder or your post. Arguing
this is pointless. There is nothing that you can tell me about the LS1
platform that I don't already know. But feel free to defend it. I'm not
sure why you would since I'm a big fan of them.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

make power.

So would a 1 Liter engine the size of a Big Block Chevy impress you as long as it made 200 HP?

No, ofcourse not. This is using hyperbole to get across his point. The LS1 is impressive because of the power it can make while being a relatively small block and very light weight. It's displacement of 5.7 Liters is always an argument used against the LS1 in terms of how it compares to other engines, which is extreme bull **** considering that it is an achievement to fit that 5.7 L in such a small lightweight package.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

make power.

Im sure I know something you dont know
Old 05-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

GUYS Y ARE WE ARGUING ABOUT BOTH PLATFORMS THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT A RACE BETWEEN MY CAMARO AND A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG. BOTH THE LSX AND COBRA MOTORS HAVE THERE STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES AND I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU COULD SAY AN LSX MOTOR IS HARD TO WORK ON I THINK ITS EASIER THAN AN OLD SCHOOL MOTOR, BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER. AGAIN COMPARING AN LSX AND COBRA MOTOR IS NOT COMPARING APPLES TO APPLES JUST TO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS IN EACH ON THEY ARE BOTH GOOD MOTORS AND IF I HAD THE MONEY MY NEXT CAR WOULD BE AN 03-04 COBRA JUST CUS I WANT ONE AND I WOULD STILL KEEP THE CAMARO.

I used caps cus nobody seems to understand this thread it was just supposed to be about a race and you die hard FORD or die hard CHEVY fans need to be more open minded hell I love my ls1 camaro but I'd love to have an 03-04 cobra or a GT500 but I'm just an all around car freak (except imports). But this is quite an interesting thread
Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6

Im sure I know something you dont know
Probably so, but that really wasn't my point. My point was that
I'm fully aware of the LSx potential. I don't need the lesson that
people feel compelled to give me.

...and I was right...it's wise *** apparently ya bastard.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Agreed. Not sure what the relevance is to this discussion, but I agree with your statement none-the-less.

Both of the above were made on the same DynoJet 248 at Abacus Racing in Va Beach.

BTW...my cut on the LSx vs Mod Motor, posted some time back on the Corral. But that is not to say that a Modular can't compete....even in N/A form.

Bob
I stated it because you guys were comparing times based on horsepower. Not much relevance towards the topic at hand. I guess I just needed a reason to jump into the conversation.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Louie83
It's displacement of 5.7 Liters is always an argument used against the LS1 in terms of how it compares to other engines, which is extreme bull **** considering that it is an achievement to fit that 5.7 L in such a small lightweight package.
I agree.

I figured I'd bold everything as well since you did.

Holy Christ...I need to buy another LS1 so you ******* will quit nit
picking every god damned word I say.

...I'm sick of this crap.