Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Weekend runs: T/A vs AWD Eagle Talon and WRX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weekend runs: T/A vs AWD Eagle Talon and WRX

The first run was on Saturday.
Opponent: Eagle Talon with a very loud turbo and blow-off valve and a 120+ LBS passenger. I'll ask the driver about specific mods.

I was on my way home when I see this gray car speeding behind me, turns out it was this guy I work with who loves Eagle Talons, I think he has like three of them. This day he was driving a gray one.
I speed up and switch lanes to let him get next to me and ask him if he wants to run and he says yeah. We then proceed to the nearest on ramp towards the highway, get next to each other and make sure we have some room to play.

I honk for 3 from a 65mph roll and we hit it. He never had a chance. We brought it to like 85-90mph or so because there was traffic ahead but I clearly out-muscled this guy. If we had gone to 100+ I'd say I would of gotten him by at least 4-5 lengths.

We did it second time and the result was the same and he yells "You got it man!", smiling.
Gave each other thumbs up and went our ways.

RUN 2: Sunday
Opponent: Blue WRX with gold rims, YELLOW headlights and fog lights(?) and a few Subaru stickers. Don't know what year it was but it's the one that looks like a Dodge neon up front. It had a bigger fart-can than usual and it came out at an angle (not straight out like usual exhaust) and the turbo and BOV were way louder than Talon I ran the day before.

The run:
I was getting on the interstate and I see the back of the familiar blue WRX, so I speed up some and pass him making sure he hears me. He then catches up to me and gives me the hand signal that he's game.

There was a lot of traffic so we waited until we got a little room and slowed down to like 60 so that traffic in front of us can gain some distance.

We're going 60MPH and we're lined up and ready to go. I honk for 3 and we go. He has me by a fender from 60-67MPH with me slowly gaining. At around 70 we were even then my car shifts (don't know what gear, it's an auto) and it was over. Once my car shifted, I just passed him like he was standing there . We let off with traffic getting closer at about 100MPH with me about 2-3 lengths.

We did it again from a 50 roll and I killed him even worse.
Gave him thumbs up, don't know if he did the same, but I was satisfied.

-----------------
Street racing is illegal, dangerous and not condoned.
These races took place in a dream I had last night, I never really street race.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet kill
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Ugh, a riced out WRX. The turbo sounded louder probably meant he had a large CAI judging by how this race went (they make the turbo sound seem louder with more intake noise). If it was truly a turbo that was that loud, then you probably would have gotten killed and very few WRX's have turbos that large (making less than 400~ WHP that is, a VF39 turbo-ed WRX is still a very quiet turbo). This guy probably was putting down 230~ WHP with a turboback exhaust, tuning and probably some other junk taking away HP (like the BOV and the likely CAI).

Nevertheless, nice kill.

The way he kept up with me I doubt he had 230~ WHP. Assuming he has that WHP is like assuming I have a 300WHP stock T/A. In which case, you might be wrong about both.

But all of that is trivial. If he had 230 or 5,000WHP I still woulda killed him. After all, my T/A has god's engine: The LS1.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Those things hit hard around 60mph, but 50 is our sweet spot.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
I am not guessing as much as pointing out that there are certain ranges of HP for those cars. Bolt-on WRX's make about 230 WHP and trap at about 99-103 mph, which is why he kept up with you for seven mph and then you blew him away (which I may point out, means he did not keep up with you).

Remember, an 02-03 WRX weighs a little less than 3100 lbs, so if he had similar WHP to you, you would have been the one who lost.

Gotcha. I thought they were around 300HP stock. Damn, I need to do some research.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Gotcha. I thought they were around 300HP stock. Damn, I need to do some research.
The STi's are, but they weren't offered that year (atleast in the USA). They are rated at like 227hp stock.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

I still dont get why people like loud atmospheric BOVs. On a DSM it does nothing but make tuning harder unless the car is at a very high state of tune. The stock one can be loud with metal IC pipes, but not like the atmo-dump ones.

Guy I know has an Evo IX. Great guy, very new to modding cars and all. Learning fast. He was seconds from getting a something-or-other-type-z BOV but my freind (DSMer as well) talked him out of it. He now has a TBE and the MBC and gage are coming in next week.

Yellow head lights. Lame. Race cars use those. Street cars have no use for those. Ugggh.

Thank you for culling the herd. Nice kill.