Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by Cocky cop in Lansing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Killed by Cocky cop in Lansing.

And after the hearing you can always give the guy a little gift - like t-shirt which says "I'm an a-hole"
Old 05-29-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too have seen both sides, Nice old man cop who wants to talk about my car intsead of giving me a ticket (got warning) VS a-hole who gives me a ticket for "exhibition of acceleration" because I got a second gear scratch (mild, trust me).
I got the "exhibition" ticket dismissed with a traffic attorney because I wasn't speeding and wasn't given a ticket for speeding, and also that citation is based on speculation by the officer to some degree. If you do a big burn out and smoke is rolling off of your car, then yeah, your exhibiting accelration.
A good lawyer will get both of those dismissed (exhibition and following too close) since they are based on speculation on his part and not a good speculation either. The other may be dismissed as well? Good luck.

Dean
Old 05-29-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe that it's stupid to ever argue with cops. I just think it's a big no-no. There is no need to acknowledge that you are wrong but there is no need to tell them they are wrong either. I think the best strategy if you are ever pulled over is to be quiet and behave as if you are facing a bull - careful, don't jump, make soft moves, answer questions clearly and intelligently. Most of the time cop is not 100% sure he's going to give you a ticket. And your purpose in this type of encounter is to drive away with no ticket, not to prove anything to him. You could be right, but do you really want to go to court and prove it or do you simply want to forget about the incident and not waist your time? I was pulled over many times and got my fare share of tickets, but all tickets I got were speeding when I was driving speedlimit +25-30mph. On several occasions cop would stop me, check me out and after seeing that I'm a normal person, just tell me to slow down and would let me go..Agree with you 100%your attitude plays a big part especially if there acting like a hard *** just keep your attitude in check.

Old 05-31-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been owned by the police several times in my town lately. Kalamazoo upped their police force this year. Sure sucks a big one! Now there are a ton state cops all around especially at construction areas. Fight this and get it dismissed, even though you may pay for an attourney it will more than save you on the insurance hike. I should know, mine is screamin' and I only have 2 tickets(10 over)- I'm listed as a Secondary Driver as well to get a insurance break; the insurance on the f-body goes up drastically when tickets are handed to you.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:39 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I know how you feel. I got a ticket for going "TOO SLOW" once.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This guy reminds me of our very own..Officer Timko, badge #5. He was notorious in this area for pulling people over just to make a name and to rack up points. He wanted to be a State cop real bad.
After getting caught in his speed trap one day(52 in a 35 zone), I was summoned to court to "defend" myself. I was astonished to find my co-worker, and 30 to 35 other people who had met the same fate. As one speeding case after another occupied the court's time, His Honor became visibly agitated. Finally, after he couldn't take it any more, the Judge exclaimed, "WHO IS THE JACKASS THAT WROTE ALL THESE TICKETS?"
Being one of the first cases, I didn't escape the law. But, from #10 or so on had their tickets nolled. Officer Timko slunk quietly out the door of Circuit Court #13, trying not to be noticed!
This is a true story!!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This guy reminds me of our very own..Officer Timko, badge #5. He was notorious in this area for pulling people over just to make a name and to rack up points. He wanted to be a State cop real bad.
After getting caught in his speed trap one day(52 in a 35 zone), I was summoned to court to "defend" myself. I was astonished to find my co-worker, and 30 to 35 other people who had met the same fate. As one speeding case after another occupied the court's time, His Honor became visibly agitated. Finally, after he couldn't take it any more, the Judge exclaimed, "WHO IS THE JACKASS THAT WROTE ALL THESE TICKETS?"
Being one of the first cases, I didn't escape the law. But, from #10 or so on had their tickets nolled. Officer Timko slunk quietly out the door of Circuit Court #13, trying not to be noticed!
This is a true story!!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gMAG- Now that is a great story,thanks for sharing!!
Dave
Old 06-02-2003, 02:03 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Twice, in two days, I've seen an LS1 throw revs and jump at a Stang, in front of cops in traffic(unknowingly) without getting pulled over! I was one of them! ...they react very randomly.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't stress the benefit of a lawyer enough. One tip that I'm sure your lawyer will follow up on... My lawyer researched the cops ticket history. It turned out that the cop has a history of writting tickets that are either dismissed or a more appropriate charge is settled on.
I got a drag racing ticket a few weeks ago from a cop who admitted to not seeing it actually happen. He told me he heard my car, then saw it and pulled me over. What killed me was that he wrote me a drag racing ticket but not a speeding ticket. Also, he didn't pull the Mustang that I destroyed over. When I questioned him, he told me he didn't see another car. So how was it a drag race if there was only 1 car that he never actually saw race? Cops can do anything they want and those that are dicks do it well. My lawyer ended up being almost $800 and the ticket was reduced to a $100 fine. It's an expensive lesson to learn but it sounds like you just got dicked! Good luck!
Old 06-04-2003, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

My court date is set some time in the next 4-6 weeks. They will call in the next few days to verify date.
Let you know how things go.
Found out the careless ticket is $135 and 3 points
the -no signed registration ticket is $45 and 0 points
This whole thing is f**king stupid.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Hyperlite you sure have alot of anger built up towards the police
As he should......while yes there are good cops now and then (I had a friend whose mother was a cop...Super nice lady )...overall a lot are *** holes and you never know which one is about to pull you over (nice guy or *** raper).

Face it....cops are never around when you need them and always around when you don't. They don't catch the drunk driver who will plow through an intersection and kill a mother and her three kids, but will follow people in hot rods waiting for them to do something wrong.

One time a cop followed me some 25 miles (some 20 mins.) down a road waiting for me to do something. The entire time he is on my tail (close), speeding up (passing me) to look and see what I’m doing, then dropping back to get behind me, talking on his radio, etc. Finally he gets pissed that I am not doing anything (I set the cruse on the speed limit), so he floors it (to at least 10 mph over the speed limit), speeds around me (almost hitting my rear bumper), and glares at me as he passes me. When he gets to the next light, he makes a u-turn, and drives off (still looking at me as we pass going the opposite direction) (F*ing pig!).

Their job consists of looking for people doing things wrong. Unlike the average person who tries to give a person the benefit of the doubt, they are constantly looking for the worse in people.

Really, it’s getting bad enough that I almost wish cops didn't exist and everyone would take care of themselves.

Good luck getting out of it.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Camaroguy-sounds like you have had your share of bad cops in your life too.
Well i go to court July 11th, i will post how things end up.