Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

another 46 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although as some figures ive seen come out to about 75 dollars saved per car(HUGE amount in ford's case). the smartest answer on why ford switched from the old TRW slugs was due to both cost and increased emissions. haha its another reason why an x3z computer isnt too great and why 93 cobras were quite underrated and had alot to gain w/ just a tune.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
just though i would help you guys out w/ a little fox history. 85 was the first year for forged pistons, 86 was the first year for the 8.8. 87 was the first year for EFI(SD) and MAF came in 89(88 for cali cars). also hyper pistons came about due to increasing emissions standards(cost probably had some to do with it too). hyper pistons have less thermal expansion.
One minor point of clarification....86 was the first year for EFI. 87 changed to E7 heads and got a corresponding 25 hp boost.

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
haha in that case you need to do a little more reading on the subject, as the switch to hyperpathetic pistons was a common thread among auto manufacturers as emissions regulations increased. the major advantage is in the clearances for the motor. tighter piston to wall clearances allowed for less blowby and lower cold-start emissions(hardest test to pass). not to mention the reduced blowby keeps the o2s alive longer and the emissions system happy. hyper pistons also reduce scuffing
My fault..I didn't mean to bold the last part.....I thought I had taken it off. I was mostly refering to the emissions vs. cost....but thanks for clarifying....I learned something new with your two posts and Bobs post above.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
One minor point of clarification....86 was the first year for EFI. 87 changed to E7 heads and got a corresponding 25 hp boost.

Bob
haha ya my bad there typo. and if its possible, ford found a way to make heads worse than e7s, e6 "turbo swirl" heads(another thing that came about due to emissions)

thanks bob
Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Termi, since you're the only one worth talking to: I should have included the 3v's b/c that's the "new" block I was refering to and I hear they won't hold more than 500rwhp. Your block on the other hand is rock solid. I have a friend with one that's atleast a 10 sec. car with way more than 600 horses. I knew the location bit was coming so we can meet at Mooresville's 1/8 mile. It will have to be next week however as I'm out of money(hope you wanna run for fun). You have a better chance of running who you want to down there.
Wow dude. That's a LONG way for me to drive for a "fun run". I was hoping you would meet in the middle. No matter, I'm sure you'd be more than I could handle anyway.

By the way, I posted a kill of an SS that runs 10.0s on motor in the 1/4 with my Cobra. My 85 GT is faster in the 1/4...so we'll drop the **** measuring crap.

You might want to check on the ford 3V blocks...they hold more than 500HP. Look around and you'll find the dyno numbers for my S281E.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Not to mention it's not the block that is the weak point.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

ah who cares...and I wasn't challenging you termi as that would be suicide...I guess I gave you too much credit. That invitation was for anyone who wanted to run for fun.