Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got beat by a 90's corvette!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got beat by a 90's corvette!!

I was on my way home from work driving my 02 Z28 A4 Camaro. I decided to take the long way home just to go joy riding. Then that's when i saw a 90's model corvette that seemed to be stock. We were both sitting at a red light waiting for it to change....but i wasn't sure if he wanted to race because he works with my mom at a prison.... he sure fooled me. We both punch it and I'm spinning like crazy up to about 40mph and he pulled at least 2 cars on me and looked like he was working on 3. But i stopped that once I finally caught traction. Now he's like 2 cars in front of me up to 70mph and then we dropped our speed . We didn't pull over to talk......I wanted to ask what he done. I do know what i need to do and that is get some damn tires. As of now i have some regular bf's, not the drag radials. What tire gives great tread life and traction on the road. Also my car is a daily driver for now and i don't want to buy drag radials yet.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I'm assuming that by 90's model Corvette you're talking about the C4... the Corvette that looks more wedge shaped than the one in my sig, which is a C5 (5th generation Corvette). Those Corvette's had LT1 or LT4 motors, with the LT4 motor putting out about 330 bhp -- in other words, not much less than an LS1 motor. Even if it was an LT1 motor, it sounds like you got beaten in the launch. You spun, he didn't.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nuke61
I'm assuming that by 90's model Corvette you're talking about the C4... the Corvette that looks more wedge shaped than the one in my sig, which is a C5 (5th generation Corvette). Those Corvette's had LT1 or LT4 motors, with the LT4 motor putting out about 330 bhp -- in other words, not much less than an LS1 motor. Even if it was an LT1 motor, it sounds like you got beaten in the launch. You spun, he didn't.

Or, an LT5...which would put a hard butt whippin on lightly modded Fbods or non Z06 C5's! ZR1 I think they were called. If that's what he had, be glad it didn't go any further than it did, because they are monsters at higher speeds.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or a L98 (pre-1992) but I doubt it
Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

He got you from the drop, you spun he didn't. A nice set of DR's is the only way to go with traction problems. I daily drive my BFG DR's but have the luxury of living close to my job. If it rains I hit the back roads and stay under 40 MPH. Anything past that the rear of the car starts to feel very light.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DocT
Or, an LT5...which would put a hard butt whippin on lightly modded Fbods or non Z06 C5's! ZR1 I think they were called. If that's what he had, be glad it didn't go any further than it did, because they are monsters at higher speeds.
mmmmm lt5