Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

700rwhp supra vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
...again though, that "900rwhp" isnt worth nothing if it still runs shitty times. The point is not about the horsepower - I do not race dynos - but about the times. 900hp may sound impressive on paper, but it means nothing to me if the car is stuck in 11s still.

The F1 car was quite possible the worst comparison possible. Very select precise gearing, ~1k pound weight, huge extremely sticky tires, and perfectly dialed in suspensions. I do not see what that has to do with street cars.

I guess if you are into roll racing its cool and all, but I would not brag about an 800+hp car still in double digits.

To each his own though I guess *shrug*. Last I checked though tracks don't allow rolling starts.
The purpose of the F1 car example was not to compare it to a street car. My F1 example is just insight into low displacement, small tq, BUT GEARED cars that are fast without low end torque... Last I checked there are a ton of them, viz. Civics, Evo's, etc. I could have mentioned those too I suppose.

My car would be stuck in the 11's or 10's maybe compared to a TA owner with less power than me, but I wouldn't care because I could give a **** about the track... Not everyone does, yet their car may still have a purpose.

This Supra owner is an idiot not because his car might not be set-up for the track, but because he's claiming a number that is either false or correct with him being a shitty driver.

This is the streetracing section, not the drag racing section, so what does your comment about the track not allowing rolls have to do with anything? We have a drag racing section here FYI.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dailydriver
...as should the time spent heeping praise, deifying, worshipping, and nutswinging from them be spent for the same purpose...

J/K (you know I'm only busting on you, and you're not half as bad as some on here about this!!)
Bastard.

You know I'm not a Jap worshipper! I'm proud to own a car from the big three regions... I'm NEVER BIASED either way...

Of course, my nasty car is the TA because I personally love low-end tq and turbo midrange, not because that's the only approach.

Unlike you you freakin' domestic fanboy. J/K
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Supras are always gonna get hated on because they're old cars with more mod potential than many here... 900 rwhp with fuel/turbo mods on a stock longblock isn't exactly done very often on an LT1... Plus so many people here would lose to half of the Supras out there that all they can do is run their mouth and inflate the number of Supras that are improperly set-up... The time spent on talking **** about them should be spent on modding your car to beat them.
I'll tell you why supras are so hated. They mod up to 7-900rwhp, then brag about beating cars from a roll that have 4-500rwhp. Thats what those supra guys live for. I guess take what you can get.
And then when their win isn't that impressive for having a few hundred more hp, they have their list of excuses ready. Low boost, street boost, wrong tune, ect.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
They mod up to 7-900rwhp, then brag about beating cars from a roll that have 4-500rwhp... And then when their win isn't that impressive for having a few hundred more hp, they have their list of excuses ready. Low boost, street boost, wrong tune, ect.
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Supras dont make **** for hp or torque till 6k rpms. Cruise one of their forums for a dyno graph, its funny as hell. They only have a real "useable" rpm range of like 1k.

http://web.archive.org/web/200510261...os/T61_TM1.jpg

yeah, having a power plateau for 2500 rpms and a close ratio 6 speed really sucks.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

<--Passenger in Joe's Car

Originally Posted by Mattybz28
One of his friends is retarded.
Swear, they said he was running a 110mm turbo. That is absurd, but that is what we were told.

Joe pulled hard and the Supra never started pulling back (which you would think would happen with all that hp after it hits boost). I guess It didnt get high enough in the rpm range to hit full boost

I had never rode in joes car. It dead hooks on the street. I would hate to have seen the outcome had they went from a dig....

Last edited by tpduke112; 11-08-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

I'll tell you why supras are so hated. They mod up to 7-900rwhp, then brag about beating cars from a roll that have 4-500rwhp. Thats what those supra guys live for. I guess take what you can get.
And then when their win isn't that impressive for having a few hundred more hp, they have their list of excuses ready. Low boost, street boost, wrong tune, ect.
there is much much truth in this post. Those are the exact excuses that riddle streetcarforums.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 AM

^Agreed

It's not really the cars that are hated as much as it is the owners, lol...and the people who act like God Himself just rolled down out of the sky when ever a Supra (in any condition) pulls into a parking lot.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

That accounts for a portion of them. That is not being discussed by anybody I think. There certainly are many Supras improperly set-up, even for the street. I think we all know this...

So as was just posted, it's really the owners not the cars... No reason to hate on the cars IMO... Unless you're a domestic fanboy.

I'm a domestic car enthusiast, but I'm not a silly fanboy.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

The **** box black Supra that 94Z28JOE raced only managed to run a 7.9 @ 97 mph "1/8 mile" and another one running around town has right around 1000 rwhp and could only manage to run 7.4 @ 104 mph. I don't know about you guys, but if I had 1000 rwhp, my **** would be flyin'. My car runs 6.80's @101-102 mph and I don't even have 600 rwhp. These guys are all full of excuses.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02NITROUSLS1
The **** box black Supra that 94Z28JOE raced only managed to run a 7.9 @ 97 mph "1/8 mile" and another one running around town has right around 1000 rwhp and could only manage to run 7.4 @ 104 mph. I don't know about you guys, but if I had 1000 rwhp, my **** would be flyin'. My car runs 6.80's @101-102 mph and I don't even have 600 rwhp. These guys are all full of excuses.
Thats just because all supra's with high HP still can get good times at the track, and thats why you see alot of supra roll videos.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02NITROUSLS1
You too?

FYI, we have a drag racing section on Ls1tech. This ain't it.

Those Supras obviously AREN'T track cars... Maybe they could care less about their 1/8th time or trap.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You too?

FYI, we have a drag racing section on Ls1tech. This ain't it.

Those Supras obviously AREN'T track cars... Maybe they could care less about their 1/8th time or trap.
Thats great, because I could care less about their 1/8 time or trap either . Growing an automotive God Complex becuase you can beat a car with 300 less hp then you from a roll is rediculous. IMO if it isnt a legit sport you are competing in, there is no reason to brag about your performance. Hell, when they open drag stips that allow roll racing I'll be the first one on Ebay looking for a supra .

I can buy a 3-cylinder Geo Metro and destroy a Supra in a reverse uphill obsticle course in the snow, but who gives a ****? Its not any real event either, but hell it could happen and "a win is a win" .

I have nothing against the car or the owners(co-worker drives a hideous orange 600rwhp supra), but IMO if you are going to brag about something let it at least be a real event that people care about, not some Fast and the Furious improvised racing for people who can't build a car that can hook.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats great, because I could care less about their 1/8 time or trap either . Growing an automotive God Complex becuase you can beat a car with 300 less hp then you from a roll is rediculous. IMO if it isnt a legit sport you are competing in, there is no reason to brag about your performance. Hell, when they open drag stips that allow roll racing I'll be the first one on Ebay looking for a supra .

I can buy a 3-cylinder Geo Metro and destroy a Supra in a reverse uphill obsticle course in the snow, but who gives a ****? Its not any real event either, but hell it could happen and "a win is a win" .

I have nothing against the car or the owners(co-worker drives a hideous orange 600rwhp supra), but IMO if you are going to brag about something let it at least be a real event that people care about, not some Fast and the Furious improvised racing for people who can't build a car that can hook.
Good. Then, include my car in that list of cars you think are BS.

Most street races are roll races... Bottom line. Sometimes you get a good dig, but you don't set up your car to stop at 105-115 mph on the street like you do for the track... And despite your reverse uphill scenario, low mph roll races are the most common kind of streetracing nowadays. This is the "real" event that goes on in the streets, so a car's quarter mile time might not MATTER.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Supra's, hondas, and srt 4's will join you hahahaha. I dont do roll races, i like to have a fair chance to win haha
Old 11-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Thats great, because I could care less about their 1/8 time or trap either . Growing an automotive God Complex becuase you can beat a car with 300 less hp then you from a roll is rediculous. IMO if it isnt a legit sport you are competing in, there is no reason to brag about your performance.
spoken like someone who's gotten annihilated by one

Hell, when they open drag stips that allow roll racing I'll be the first one on Ebay looking for a supra .
yeah, its called a road course . You know, them thangs with turns n stuff...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by earl3
spoken like someone who's gotten annihilated by one

yeah, its called a road course . You know, them thangs with turns n stuff...
Lmao, who opened class early ?

First of all, I do not roll race or go to street racing meets so I would not have had a chance to get "annihilated" by one. I like my clean license and insurance just the way it is now, thank you. The track is plenty fun for me.

Second, how many huge turbo'd laggy supras do you see on road courses??? I'm sure hitting boost in a 1khp engine is gonna be really good for sharp turns and traction . That was so left field it shouldnt even have gotten a response.

"Road Course" could not be farther then "drag strip that allows roll races". You may know this if you had ever actually been to a track, lol. The road course game belongs to Evo's, STi's, Skylines, etc anyway....Not huge turbo'd supras(...who run double digits still with 900+ crank hp ). They may not get you from a rice roll, but at the track those are the imports to look out for.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

First of all, I do not roll race or go to street racing meets so I would not have had a chance to get "annihilated" by one. I like my clean license and insurance just the way it is now, thank you. The track is plenty fun for me.
Good for you... That being your preference, I suggest you browse through other subforums that are less foreign and alien to you, but not the streetracing section.

This is like going on a bartending forum and saying, "I don't need alcohol. I like my health just the way it is now. Music and friends is plenty fun for me."

I think you you're in the wrong place, but that's just me.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Good for you... That being your preference, I suggest you browse through other subforums that are less foreign and alien to you, but not the streetracing section.

This is like going on a bartending forum and saying, "I don't need alcohol. I like my health just the way it is now. Music and friends is plenty fun for me."

I think you you're in the wrong place, but that's just me.
Coincidentally I did not stumble into hear of my own accord, but it was a link posted in the section I frequent. I did not say anything against street/roll racing, just that it is not something I like to do. I would be a hipocrite if I protested against it, as if I have never personally put lengths on someone on a public highway. It is just something I decided was not worth it in the long run.

That has nothing to do with people idolizing supras like they are some unbeatable automitive titan though. Sure, they are amazing motors that can make a ton of power "cheap" - that is what turbos are known for anyway. It is the fact that they run times of cars with hundreds less horspower that I do not think it is very impressive. It is just big numbers without looking at performance.

It is not about them being imports either, I give credit where credit is due. I would love an STi, Evo, or even a Skyline - but personally I did not have that kind of money to drop at once when looking for a project car. When I first got my z28 and it was stock besides a CAI, one of my first losses was to an innocent looking debadged acura(coincidentally from a roll ). No excuses about it, I got beat by at least three lengths when I shut down...from a sleeper looking "ricer". Anything quick and moddable is attractive to me, and I am actually tossing around the idea of getting a ninja to play with. I am not a "fanboy" by any stretch of the word.

I just get annoyed when someone whispers the word "Supra" and instantly 90% of the people automatically think it must be an unbeatable thousand horsepower 9 second grocery getter. Its not like 1K+ hp is some recent accomplishment of only supras anyway, GN's have been doing it for decades.

Oh well, to each his own
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM

Then why do they bother taking their cars to the track?

Quick Reply: 700rwhp supra vs LT1