Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

700rwhp supra vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Then why do they bother taking their cars to the track?
Why do I? I dunno, ***** and giggles?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Puck
Coincidentally I did not stumble into hear of my own accord, but it was a link posted in the section I frequent. I did not say anything against street/roll racing, just that it is not something I like to do. I would be a hipocrite if I protested against it, as if I have never personally put lengths on someone on a public highway. It is just something I decided was not worth it in the long run.

That has nothing to do with people idolizing supras like they are some unbeatable automitive titan though. Sure, they are amazing motors that can make a ton of power "cheap" - that is what turbos are known for anyway. It is the fact that they run times of cars with hundreds less horspower that I do not think it is very impressive. It is just big numbers without looking at performance.

It is not about them being imports either, I give credit where credit is due. I would love an STi, Evo, or even a Skyline - but personally I did not have that kind of money to drop at once when looking for a project car. When I first got my z28 and it was stock besides a CAI, one of my first losses was to an innocent looking debadged acura(coincidentally from a roll ). No excuses about it, I got beat by at least three lengths when I shut down...from a sleeper looking "ricer". Anything quick and moddable is attractive to me, and I am actually tossing around the idea of getting a ninja to play with. I am not a "fanboy" by any stretch of the word.

I just get annoyed when someone whispers the word "Supra" and instantly 90% of the people automatically think it must be an unbeatable thousand horsepower 9 second grocery getter. Its not like 1K+ hp is some recent accomplishment of only supras anyway, GN's have been doing it for decades.

Oh well, to each his own
You're posting alot of stuff I'm not disputing, but you seem to be missing the point.

Originally Posted by Puck
that is what turbos are known for anyway. It is the fact that they run times of cars with hundreds less horspower that I do not think it is very impressive
You're still basing a car's performance on the street on TIMES, the TRACK.

Some people don't give a **** about the track... Particularly, some street racers.

I would get flat-out MURDERED by cars with much less power than me on the track... That doesn't indicate at all what would happen with a slow roll on the street. My car's set-up this way. Many Supras, obviously, are set-up this way compared to F-body's...

Meaning they could give a **** what their TIMEs are.

The few Supra owners that do care, put their cars in the sevens on many stock components, including the rear end... The Supras that ARE set-up for the track do come through and get the times... But that would be entering "track" discussion.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Good for you... That being your preference, I suggest you browse through other subforums that are less foreign and alien to you, but not the streetracing section.

This is like going on a bartending forum and saying, "I don't need alcohol. I like my health just the way it is now. Music and friends is plenty fun for me."

I think you you're in the wrong place, but that's just me.
I hope you give the same admonishment to your "pal" (I know he's not actually, but you think the same) earl 3, when he brings up road course racing (which is VERY different from "street" racing).
Besides, I agree with puck in that EVERY time I see a Poopra on a road course against domestics (and even the Euros), it is getting it's *** KICKED left and right!!! The only time I've ever even heard of them winning is in their "own" All-JGTC, GT500 class, hardly "street cars" on open tracks, or lightly modded rides.
You seem to think that there is some kind of stigma to being a domestic "fanboy"??! When did it become a negative thing to want to support your own country's companies' products?? Someone must have rewritten the "rules" for the "rice generation" and not told me I guess.
Tell me, do you cheer for the foreign teams competing against the U.S. teams in Olympic/international competitions??
Do you root for TOYota/Japan, Inc. to "kill" the U.S. corporations in international economic/trade "competitons"??
What about in wars against our enemies/foreign "hostiles"? Do you also side with them? If it is OK/desirable to be for our military, then it is PERFECTLY alright to be a PROUD "domestic fanboy" ("silly" as you say, or not).
And yes, I know that your MKIVs are not sold new anymore, so therefore all of their fanboyzz say that does not effect our economy anymore, but where do 99.99999% of their new mod parts come from?? Not to mention ALL of the replacement/"JDM" ****. Also, their "telephone game", fanboi deification just adds to the TOY "perfection" myth, which DOES effect our economy against the domestic nameplates!!

Last edited by dailydriver; 11-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I hope you give the same admonishment to your "pal" (I know he's not actually, but you think the same) earl 3, when he brings up road course racing (which is VERY different from "street" racing).
Have you seen his post count? I do not think the same as he does... That road course example was ridiculous. It's clear he is an import troll IMO. I wouldn't even bother responding.

Besides, I agree with puck in that EVERY time I see a Poopra on a road course against domestics (and even the Euros), it is getting it's *** KICKED left and right!!! The only time I've ever even heard of them winning is in their "own" All-JGTC, GT500 class, hardly "street cars" on open tracks, or lightly modded rides.
You know what's funny? Many of the Super GT/JGTC Supras ran four cylinder blocks, not the I6.

The Supra COULD be a disgusting road course monster, but like their typical presence on the track, it's very common for a Supra owner to "**** it up," having the car incorrectly dialed in.

However, there is a small handful of hobby racers with correctly set-up Supras. In fact the modified street car that has the record right now for reaching a high speed and braking back down to a stop is a Supra, making the Veyron look like '68 Challenger in terms of this kind of performance.

You seem to think that there is some kind of stigma to being a domestic "fanboy"??! When did it become a negative thing to want to support your own country's companies' products?? Someone must have rewritten the "rules" for the "rice generation" and not told me I guess.
Tell me, do you cheer for the foreign teams competing against the U.S. teams in Olympic/international competitions??
Do you root for TOYota/Japan, Inc. to "kill" the U.S. corporations in international economic/trade "competitons"??
What about in wars against our enemies/foreign "hostiles"? Do you also side with them? If it is OK/desirable to be for our military, then it is PERFECTLY alright to be a PROUD "domestic fanboy" ("silly" as you say, or not).
Buddy, there is a difference between being a domestic ENTHUSIAST and a domestic fanboy... Would I cheer against my own team? Never... Can I appreciate when a foreign team is better at something? Of course, I'm not blind. See, I can reconcile both the idea that NOT EVERYTHING AMERICA MAKES IS GREAT and the idea that I still support it... It's possible to do both! I encourage everyone to try it. Personally, UNBIASEDLY, I feel most of what Japan makes in the car industry is soulless junk. I think we are ahead.

And yes, I know that your MKIVs are not sold new anymore, so therefore all of their fanboyzz say that does not effect our economy anymore, but where do 99.99999% of their new mod parts come from?? Not to mention ALL of the replacement/"JDM" ****. Also, their "telephone game", fanboi deification just adds to the TOY "perfection" myth, which DOES effect our economy against the domestic nameplates!!
I'm not into cars to support my economy. My hobbies are my own. There are better things I can do for this country.

Are their fanboyz and their telephone game pathetic? Hell yeah! I agree 100%

I just think domestic fanboys are just as pathetic, people who put everything down, stereotyping EVERY ******* SUPRA OWNER. Actually, I really hate this because it makes domestic enthusiasts like me seem blinded by a domestic superiority complex.

Please understand, your last paragraph applies to many Supra owners, but not all.

So, yeah, statements like this:

I'll tell you why supras are so hated. They mod up to 7-900rwhp, then brag about beating cars from a roll that have 4-500rwhp. Thats what those supra guys live for.
What would you think of an import fanboy that said something like this about all F-body owners, referencing mullets, straightline obsessed/that's all they're good for, suck at the turns, can't go past 120 mph,etc.

You'd think he was a ******* idiot, right?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:45 PM

I still don't get it. I care about what my car runs i the 1/4 mile. Therefore, I take it to a 1/4 mile track. I couldn't give two ***** how my car does on a road course, therefore I don't take it to one. So I ask again, why take your car to a 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile track if you really don't care what kind of a number it runs?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Let's put it like this... I have not set-up my car for a road course, nor would I ever... I cannot expect to get a good time in a road course, so I wouldn't care if my time sucked. However, I would like to take my TA on a road course one day because it would be fun???

I imagine it is the same for many Supra owners that are roll monsters but pull shitty times in the quarter... They want to keep the stick shift, keep it ready to go 180+ mph, etc. If that's their priority, then 1/4 times might not be that important to them... But that doesn't mean they wouldn't have fun on the track from time to time.

That is, except for those Supra owners that are in the eights and sevens of course.

It really is much different for the majority of domestic owners, but not all.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I wonder why the word Supra provokes such hostility amongst domestic guys?

I mean, it's just a car, fellas...settle down.

One guy up there a few posts back was hollerin "screw the Japs" and pissin and moaning about "Japanese industry killing the Americans, etc..blah blah blah"...

OMFG, dude....take a valium.

I personally don't really hang out or associate with many other Supra owners, so maybe I'm in the dark about them.

I can tell you the few LSX guys (Vette and TA owners) I've known KNOW THEIR ****...and are not just flag-waving, close-minded morons that scream GO USA!...and walk around badmouthing imports.
The domestic guys I know have respect for anything that is fast, powerful or has potential to be so.

I bought a Supra because I like the way they look (opinion, I know) they're easy to work on, and I wanted something that no one else in my little town had.
There are hundreds of Vettes and 'maros and stangs around here...and I always get props from them too.

anyways....my car sucks at the 1/4 mile, granted...it's fun on the highway.
I kept my sequential twin set up so I could have less lag, but for the most part, my Sup is an investment.
Can you say that about an LSX vehicle (besides Vettes maybe)?
Me thinks not.

I am hoping that 10 years from now, some really rich kid that has seen "Fast and Furious 25 " tells his dad to buy my car for $100,000!

anyways...some of you guys are a testament to the ignorance of domestic owners all around the trailer park, and some of you guys sound like you have some sense.

Supras are the shiz, and if you don't like em, you're probably blinded by that big confederate flag waving in front of you, so please refer to my license plate in my sig, and......

Last edited by BoostedMKIV; 11-11-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CROWDER
wouldnt surprised me if the car was running lean.

Originally Posted by Tom
the supra wasn't lean, it was fat. fat from a big slab of v8 dick in its ***!!!! THROB!!! THROB!!! THROB!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedMKIV
I mean, it's just a car, fellas...settle down.

my Sup is an investment.
Can you say that about an LSX vehicle (besides Vettes maybe)?
Me thinks not.

I am hoping that 10 years from now, some really rich kid that has seen "Fast and Furious 25 " tells his dad to buy my car for $100,000!
Like I said, it's not the cars that are disliked (unless it's for reasons based on opnion), it's generally the owners. And don't tell us that the reason you bought your car is for investment purposes, there are far better ways to make money.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Teching In

When did it become a negative thing to want to support your own country's companies' products?? Someone must have rewritten the "rules" for the "rice generation" and not told me I guess.
I just find so much ignorance in this post. If you like domestics, that is perfectly fine. I have nothing against them, I would even own one. But your "own country's companies" aren't really your own American companies.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Like I said, it's not the cars that are disliked (unless it's for reasons based on opnion), it's generally the owners.
You're half right, unfortunately.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE][QUOTE=BoostedMKIV;8107287]I am hoping that 10 years from now, some really rich kid that has seen "Fast and Furious 25 " tells his dad to buy my car for $100,000!
QUOTE]

Hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which fills up first. Good luck with that.

anyways...some of you guys are a testament to the ignorance of domestic owners all around the trailer park, and some of you guys sound like you have some sense.

Supras are the shiz, and if you don't like em, you're probably blinded by that big confederate flag waving in front of you, so please refer to my license plate in my sig, and......
Don't be hatin' because I fly a confederate flag on my trailer. Swap in an LSx motor in that poopra. Then you'll have something.

Last edited by 04Terminator; 11-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I love the MKIV's, but what I do hate is the typical fanboy ignorance that they are the perfect car. Yes, they have very stout bottom ends, even though they take a LOT more to get xxxxhp than just slapping a big turbo on there and having 1500 rpm of usable power. The highest G's they ever pulled were mid .90's, which is easily respectable but nowhere near some kind of king of handling. Especially after adding the 4000 lb weight factor. And as far as drag, if you see one in the 7's its NOT on the stock block or even stock style suspension. Show me one in the 7's on a stock block or without a heavily moddified suspension. The last supra I watched that was BUILT for drag had 1200 plus hp and hit a best time of 10.04. He got beat by a street civic with (supposedly) less than half his HP.

Dont get me wrong, I love the supras. They are great touring cars, very sexy lines, and then there's the value aspect. But as far as knocking the value of some domestics, go find me an equal condition 69' camaro that doesnt sell for double to even 5 or 6 times what MKIV's go for. They do a few things good, and have an exceptional bottom end, but your fooling yourself if you think they can perform exceptional at drag or road course without major modification. But hell, you can make any car do that.

And as far as the domestic guys bashing the Supra, its usually the Supra boys that get bent out of shape if you even dare to mention anything bad about thier beloved supra. Its part of the reason I sold mine, that and I wanted a better platform to mod. Hell, just look at the content of defense in this thread. I enjoy the performance value of most all cars, but part of that is also seeing thier short comings.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually researched this awhile back to compare and I actually found .91 in one comparison, so seemed comparable to a C5 Corvette. However, the other day I found an edmunds review for the 1998 MKIV Supra and they pulled a .96 skidpad in their test. Then I went to look around, I found that Car&Driver rated a .98 on MKIV in 1994. Just my .02
Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
What would you think of an import fanboy that said something like this about all F-body owners, referencing mullets, straightline obsessed/that's all they're good for, suck at the turns, can't go past 120 mph,etc.

You'd think he was a ******* idiot, right?
Supras suck because they look and sound like rice. They are also glorified for being "supposedly" good at ricer racing. They hang out at the strip and run their mouths with their 900hp supra and pick on head/cam f-bodies from 60 rolls, and act like thats impressive when they come flying past 2 gears later. Then when a 900hp boosted viper rolls in, all the supras are nowhere to be found and the cameras turn off. Another thing they do is downplay all their numbers to make themselves look more impressive than they really are. Those are my experiences and opinions being around supra owners. I guess people aren't allowed to like only specific cars and dislike others? I have my reasons why I don't care for supras, like I just stated. That doesn't make me a "fanboy". A "fanboy" is someone who is specific to one car and hates all others for NO reason, but I'm sure you knew the difference since you throw the word around so much.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM

i dont really know wut u guys are talking about but a supra would stomp all over ur pieces of shyt cars look at most of the supras these days even from a did they run wut like 9s in the 1/4 how many of u can really do that
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pgm41
i dont really know wut u guys are talking about but a supra would stomp all over ur pieces of shyt cars look at most of the supras these days even from a did they run wut like 9s in the 1/4 how many of u can really do that
What a **** post.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pgm41
lol what dream world are you living in...supras are nice cars and all but there aren't many out there that run 9's. You seem like the typical supra fan boy that thinks supras are 11 second cars stock when in reality they aren't any faster then an f-body stock.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
lol what dream world are you living in...supras are nice cars and all but there aren't many out there that run 9's. You seem like the typical supra fan boy that thinks supras are 11 second cars stock when in reality they aren't any faster then an f-body stock.
yea i hear where ur coming from but yet most supras are very fast cars.......... no way im a fan of the old school muscle
Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a whole section dedicated to single digit domestics here if you look. If your sig is correct, you've got some nuts to call anyone's car a piece of ****. 1980 huh?

Quick Reply: 700rwhp supra vs LT1