Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

EVO? Mitsu-sushi got to LOSEY

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: EVO? Mitsu-sushi got to LOSEY

Well considering MT and C&D both put down respectable times for all three cars. Ranging from 12.9-13.4. I would much rather have a car that is well balanced,quick,agile, and able to perform in all conditions. Which leaves out one. It's not all about straight line speed as you should know. Thats what led to the demise of the camaros and transam's.

You can say what you need about either car. The truth is, these cars are on backorder waiting for someone to fulfill the likes of what others couldn't accomplish.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well considering MT and C&D both put down respectable times for all three cars. Ranging from 12.9-13.4. I would much rather have a car that is well balanced,quick,agile, and able to perform in all conditions. Which leaves out one. It's not all about straight line speed as you should know. Thats what led to the demise of the camaros and transam's.

You can say what you need about either car. The truth is, these cars are on backorder waiting for someone to fulfill the likes of what others couldn't accomplish.
What led to the demise of the fbody was not their performance. They had the best performance er dollr of any car out there. what led to the demise of the f-body is no more than the trendiness of the american people. one movie comes out, and they flock to the import trend. f-body will be back, in it's due time, to kick the **** out of all these girly-*** imports and their tiny bitch motors running waaaay too much boost. i don't love musclecars so much because they're faster, i love them because they're cooler, manlier, better built than those imports you love.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:09 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What led to the demise of the F-bod was those shitty seats I tell ya! No lumbar support for it's aging market base!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't say it was all about straight line speed. I just said thats all I care about watching. I don't like watching circle track racing or rally racing. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind driving a rally race I just don't like watching them. I don't like watching golf either but I don't mind playing it. As far as the Cobra goes I just said it put on a better show in the quarter mile, which is what I like to watch. If you remember correctly though the F-body outhandled the mustang and managed better e/ts than the mustang throughout its years. Lack of performance isn't what killed the f-body. BTW I do recall the times of the evo on C&D and they weren't in the 13s. It managed low 14s while the Cobra was in the 12s. The STI was in the high 13s.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ohh I almost forgot, maybe if you ran your 19 pounds of boost up to 25 you might get to where the LS1 f-bodys were stock.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What car do you mean 19 up to 25. If your reffering to an STI or EVO, each one of these run low 13's at over 103+. Thats more than enough to rip an auto ls1. Now as far as standard ls1, I think it would be a different story.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

No the Evo does not run low 13s the Evo runs low 14s. The Evo was the one I was talking about boosting to 25. Since it is the one already running 19 pounds of boost. I have no problem with the Evo at all it's a very nice car but it's not running low 13s stock. I have seen LS1 autos run mid to high 12s stock, they were factory freaks but it does happen. High 12s are common ground in an LS1. Boosting the Evo to 25 would allow for a low 13 high 12 second run no doubt. I don't doubt the capabilities of the car one bit. However I feel the Evo has it's own place as a rally car. The WRX runs excellent times in the qurter even better than the Evo. It is also an excellent rally car. My only problem was you were comparing a car geared towards the strip to a car based on carving mountain roads. I wouldn't buy a Mclaren F1 to go drag racing. Thats not saying the Mclaren F1 isn't fast. Your comparison is about street racing how many street races are based upon riding curves? If you want to talk about cornering you should be in a rally forum. All street cars are built to be well rounded out of the factory. Those two cars are fairly well rounded cars more focused on handling than straight line speed. Just because the F-body didnt win the 2002 pikes peak challenge that does not mean that the Evo is a better performance vehicle. If you doubt that an auto transmission is meant for the quarter mile, then perhaps you should argue there is no reasoning in making high performance torque converters. From a roll standards tear autos appart but from a dig (drag race) autos are great.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW my auto LS1 runs mid to high 12s with a trap speed over 110 ("big mod" - air lid). More than enough to rip a new Evo in half.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

They do run mid to low 13's. I was at Raceeay park on Thursday with my friend in his EVO. Bone stock, not even an airfilter. He ran a 13.8 at 102 on his first time. There was even an STI out there that ran a 13.4. Most of the magazines and critics perfer the EVO over the STI. Almost every magazine article I have read, shows the EVO at mid 13 to low 13 quarter mile time.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....;page_number=2
car and driver 1/4 mile time: 14.2sec @98mph
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....;page_number=1
Road and Track tested a quarter mile time of: 13.9sec @ 100mph While respectible that hardly compares to the low 12s of the Cobra or the 13.1 by the average 02 F-body(as recorded by HPP magazine "Rebel Without Appause" article Sept. 02 issue). If we are talking about factory freaks I would believe your friend might have one and might manage a 13.8 or better but once again as you said the WRX sti ran a 13.4 that weekend. What I'm saying is these times are nice but not amazing. If you think a 13.8 is going to blow most stock LS1s out of the water keep dreaming. It might be able to take many an LT1 and a few LS1s on the road but the later year LS1s should surpass that time np. As for what you were saying about outdoing the 03 Cobra I have never seen one run as slow as a 13.8. Out handle yes but out do no way.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

What car do you mean 19 up to 25. If your reffering to an STI or EVO, each one of these run low 13's at over 103+. Thats more than enough to rip an auto ls1. Now as far as standard ls1, I think it would be a different story.
Evo's do NOT run low 13s. They are n 13s with a good driver, but not low 13s. Add in the fact that they are HARD AS HELL to launch properly, and the LS1 should annihilate them every time from a dig, stock for stock
Old 08-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Hor
Teching In

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....;page_number=2
car and driver 1/4 mile time: 14.2sec @98mph
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....;page_number=1
Road and Track tested a quarter mile time of: 13.9sec @ 100mph
This is just a ridiculous post. You've selectively pulled the worst magazine times you could find for the Evo. The C&D time you quote is an ESTIMATED number before they had a chance to get documented numbers. In the June 2003 issue where they actually get REAL numbers, they ran a 13.6 @ 101 in the Evo and 13.2 @ 103 in the STi.

In the June 2003 Motor Trend issue they ran an STi to a 13.23 @ 104.6 and an Evo to a 13.08 @ 105.1. The cars were tested at different tracks with differen drivers under different weather conditions, which is likely the reason why the Evo did better than the STi.

By the way, in an AWD car, 102 traps has been enough to put me into the 12s. With a good driver, the Evo and STi are easily mid 13 second cars, if not better. With a great driver, low 13s is possible, and I won't be surprised in the least to see some 12s in stock form, especially once we get some cool fall weather.

NOTE: In no way, shape, or form am I taking anything away from F-bodies or Mustangs or comparing them to the Evo or STi. I'll leave that flamefest to the rest of you. Just wanted to add some FACTS to this otherwise misinformed thread.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I just wanted to add the fact that I have yet to see a stock Evo go lower than 13.5 at the track. When I see it, I'll give them their props. I HAVE seen the STIs do low 13s, though.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Those Evo's.. well i have a full Bolt-on machine (WS^ from sealed ram air to the 3200 stall andeven a 100 shot... i find these evo'sno threat.. i'm lowered with Bilstiens and intraffic.. i has a little bugger try to evade me.. i was stuck to his bumber.. sadly All those young kids that think the F body is a slouch should run up agaist me.. .i'll clip into the 11's very high on Nos.. but more importantly with the rubber i use this "heavy muscle car has no problems handling the evo in trffic or on lazy sweepers.. i can eveen drift with them lol.. and since Mitsu is boofing their customers who race i don't see the appeal.. i almost bought an R.. but then came to my senses.. . My Ws6 is an AMerican classic.. and even without Nos i run, as set up for the street in the 12.4 range.. for basic bolt-ons i do very wel.. even Cobra's fall hard to that..since many can't launch their cars effectively on the street

just my .02 since i've repeatedly race my Evo nieghbor.. he's modded to no avail.. gotta love rwd Stall converters and 3.73 with DR's..lol
Old 08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How was this thread unearthed?
LIMIT, wlecome aboard, but how the hell did you did this old sucker up?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default evo

my buddy has a brand new o4 evo and he ran a 13.2 bone stock. that same day i ran a 13.1 with terrible traction (bald *** street tires). On the way home i ran him on the highway and i pulled him really hard. i know some other people with evo's and it doesn't take much to make them fast enough to hang with a stock ls1. and whoever said the evo is hard to launch has obviously never driven one. i ran his at the track and it launches like a dream. the awd is awesome, doing 5k dumps and not even chirping the tires
Old 08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I work at a mitsubishi dealership and have driven my fair share of fbodys 3000 gts turbo'd eclipses and of course evolutions.

The evolutions will hang with a stock f body. They're (evo) rated at 271 hp and 276 tq. But those are low ratings. It's a lot closer to 300 tq and hp. I love fbodys and would own one before an evo but you have to give credit where credit is due. Getting almost 300 horse out of a 2.0l inline 4 is pretty damn good and giving it a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty isn't bad either. Turbo eclipses aren't worth the time and a stock 3000gt vr4 isn't great either (the second turbo spools at 120 mph)

One thing the evo has goin for it is the fact that it WILL kick damn near anything on an autocross track. It all depends on driver. This includes zo6 vettes, i've seen it.

But yeah anybody know where I can get a high mileage 98 z
Old 08-28-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Let it die, let it die.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Let it die, let it die.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I raced one from a 40 roll once. It was very ugly for him...