Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 vs S2000

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
fastest one I have ever seen was a full bolt on one running low 14's....and he knew how to drive...

He ran his mouth to one of my buddys one night at a bar who owned a 98 camaro SS...he told my buddy he would smoke him on the highway. my friend with the SS wasnt sure about racing him because he doesnt race cars very much....long story short, it obv. wasnt a race and the kid didnt go back to the bar
Good kill but well driven stock S2000's have got into the high 13's. It takes some skill to launch those things properly. Not built to be a drag runner.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by artist71
Ill say this...the S2000 is faster on the highway then you think. There 0-60 time is more like 5.5 not 6.5. Some magazines just are slower..look how slow the drivers are on Motor Week.
I owned and S2000 and my best race was against a 3000GT VR4..it was even all the way from 70 to 130...and we stopped cause we both almost passed a cop.
My race against a 350z from 0- 85 was even all the way.

Still...the LS1 is faster...and thats all that really matters...right?
OK well then I'll say this: S2000 is SLOW ON THE HIGHWAY. I've raced many of these guys from rolls between 25-70 on the highway they're SLOW. Know why? TORQUE at these LOW RPMS!!!! I pulled 4-5 lenghts on them STOCK from 40-110 several times. Why are you on these cars nuts? Because you drive an Elise? That's even a SOFT NAME FOR A CAR!! - I just had to stoop that low.

Oh and 0-60 time has very little, if anything, to do with a highway roll race.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
OK well then I'll say this: S2000 is SLOW ON THE HIGHWAY. I've raced many of these guys from rolls between 25-70 on the highway they're SLOW. Know why? TORQUE at these LOW RPMS!!!! I pulled 4-5 lenghts on them STOCK from 40-110 several times. Why are you on these cars nuts? Because you drive an Elise? That's even a SOFT NAME FOR A CAR!! - I just had to stoop that low.

Like EVERYONE has said, the S2000 is not on the LS1's level. But it does have highly decent topend. I've had mom's up to 142mph (indicated) and it was still pulling nicely.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

This thread got entertaining to say the least.

I will chime in and say the following:

1) S2000s are 13 second capable stock (most will never accomplish this).
2) S2000s can't launch (that's what happens when you have no torque).

and most importantly,

3) a stock LS1 will easily pull a stock S2000.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super28Sport

I drive an Exige...not an Elise. Do your research. You are getting a little to upset about this topic anyway. I don't think anyone is disagrees with you. BESIDES...What is fast to me may not be fast to you. Its an opionion. I think Blue is prettier then green. Wanna argue about that too?

And yes you can launch an S2000..I did it several times. BUT just to keep anyone from getting upset...A stock SS, WS6, Z28, and formula are all faster then the S2000.

2000 Honda S2000 5.5 14.2
2003 Honda S2000 6.3 14.9
2004 Honda S2000 5.8 14.2 (MT Mar '04)
2006 Honda S2000 5.5 14.0 (C&D May '06)

Last edited by artist71; 01-24-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Could not have put that any better my self. Good wright up. It's like I was there. That's good that you get along good with your little brother. Reminds me about how much I care for my little bro. But with my job, and he knows too, I only get to see him once a month or so. But I call him a couple times a week and talk to him and my mom. But when I have time to swing by, just like your little bro, my bro too has his head going to music. btw, excellent kill. Pretty sure that your car didn't even break a sweat.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive an Exige...not an Elise. Do your research. You are getting a little to upset about this topic anyway. I don't think anyone is disagrees with you. BESIDES...What is fast to me may not be fast to you. Its an opionion. I think Blue is prettier then green. Wanna argue about that too?

And yes you can launch an S2000..I did it several times. BUT just to keep anyone from getting upset...A stock SS, WS6, Z28, and formula are all faster then the S2000.

2000 Honda S2000 5.5 14.2
2003 Honda S2000 6.3 14.9
2004 Honda S2000 5.8 14.2 (MT Mar '04)
2006 Honda S2000 5.5 14.0 (C&D May '06)
I like S2000's contrary to what the Mustang GT boy made it sound like. And I'm sure a few have run in the high 13's but I'm also sure that most of them are not going to. A few LS1's have run in the 12's stock but that doesn't make it a 12 sec. car to me as most are not going to. And no I don't consider high 13's fast which is what I think I said in my original statement. I didn't think it was a fast car. But anyways enough about that.
Do you ever go to the Dragon? I bet that Lotus drives like a go-cart. I think it would do real well up there. Its a fun trip if you haven't been. I live about 30 minutes away so I used to be there every weekend on my bike. Its a blast.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

I plan on taking a trip to the Dragon this summer sometime. It does handle like a go cart. I have never been in anything that drives this well around corners.
I have to be careful in the Lotus cause sometimes people in Ls1's want to race me on the freeway...and that would just not be fair...for me. It would suck to get beat by a ten thousand dollar car in the Lotus. The Lotus is really fun when the road gets curvy and when its parked and everyone wants to come over and take pictures and ask me what kind of Ferrari it is. hahahaha
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by rocksws6
I like S2000's contrary to what the Mustang GT boy made it sound like. And I'm sure a few have run in the high 13's but I'm also sure that most of them are not going to. A few LS1's have run in the 12's stock but that doesn't make it a 12 sec. car to me as most are not going to. And no I don't consider high 13's fast which is what I think I said in my original statement. I didn't think it was a fast car. But anyways enough about that.
Do you ever go to the Dragon? I bet that Lotus drives like a go-cart. I think it would do real well up there. Its a fun trip if you haven't been. I live about 30 minutes away so I used to be there every weekend on my bike. Its a blast.
You need to go back and re-read some of the stuff I said, and actually keep your mind open when you do it. Saying "S2000s" is different than saying "F-bodies." I've seen LS1s dyno 40-45rwhp apart from each other, and it's not just cuz of dyno/conditions differences. There are just more production variances. So while one might be able to crack off a high 12, others aren't able to run any faster than mid-high 13s. And then there's the gear differences. And then there's the transmission differences. And the coupe/convertible. And then cloth/leather/1LE/B4C/etc. Then there is the S2000; the 00-03 cars, and the 04+ cars. That's IT as far as variety. And I've never seen more than a 5rwhp difference in the dynos of the respective generations. Do you see what I'm getting it? And as far as how many S2000s have hit 13s, you gotta remember that almost NOBODY takes S2000s to the track. And since you have to launch at 6,000-7,000rpm, not many people that go to the track actually go all out. But I'd wager that just as many S2000s have hit 13s as F-bodies have hit 12s proportionally... possibly even more.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

We also have to remember what there built for. Camaros and Firebirds are built to kick *** on the highway and 1/4 mile track...and the S2000 is built to kick *** on a curvy road. Well maybe not built for those reasons only...but I am sure everyone gets what I am saying.
BUT if you wanna beat and S2000 on a curvey road then get a Z06
Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

BUT if you wanna beat and S2000 on a curvey road then get a Z06
Believe it or not there ARE f bodies that can stay with (maybe even beat) the Honduh in your 'twisties'.
Granted, yes they have modded suspensions, but all else being equal, it is NOT impossible as many (on BOTH sides) seem to think HAS TO BE the case.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Oh I agree...I guess I was just refering to stock...cause when we talk modded then it gets hairy.
I have owned both and I prefer the Formula. WHY? Cause how many times would I get to drive FAST in the turns. Usually you get behind someone going slow anyway...or you run the risk of hitting someone pulling out of there driveway.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Thats was a great story and kill. It felt like i was in the back seat. lol stupid s2000
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Oh I agree...I guess I was just refering to stock...cause when we talk modded then it gets hairy.
I have owned both and I prefer the Formula. WHY? Cause how many times would I get to drive FAST in the turns. Usually you get behind someone going slow anyway...or you run the risk of hitting someone pulling out of there driveway.
Yeah, whether I drive the S2000 or my car depends on the mood I'm in, where I'm going to be driving, and what the weather is like. For a springtime cruise, gimme the S2k. But my car handles pretty well too (though I REALLY need SFCs ), so I definitely enjoy it in the twisties as well .
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so next time I'll just make sure to say that the S2K will run high 13s, LOL!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You need to go back and re-read some of the stuff I said, and actually keep your mind open when you do it. Saying "S2000s" is different than saying "F-bodies." I've seen LS1s dyno 40-45rwhp apart from each other, and it's not just cuz of dyno/conditions differences. There are just more production variances. So while one might be able to crack off a high 12, others aren't able to run any faster than mid-high 13s. And then there's the gear differences. And then there's the transmission differences. And the coupe/convertible. And then cloth/leather/1LE/B4C/etc. Then there is the S2000; the 00-03 cars, and the 04+ cars. That's IT as far as variety. And I've never seen more than a 5rwhp difference in the dynos of the respective generations. Do you see what I'm getting it? And as far as how many S2000s have hit 13s, you gotta remember that almost NOBODY takes S2000s to the track. And since you have to launch at 6,000-7,000rpm, not many people that go to the track actually go all out. But I'd wager that just as many S2000s have hit 13s as F-bodies have hit 12s proportionally... possibly even more.
See now we're talking. Isn't that nice. I don't know much about s2000's most of what I know I have read. I've drove my mom and dads and it doesn't feel fast at all. I think theirs is an 03 if I'm not mistakin, but I don't think it would run 13's. Maybe with a 50 mph tailwind and a downhill track. J/K but maybe the newer ones are faster or maybe it just doesn't feel fast, IDK. But I don't think most could get their s2k's into the 13's either due to the track and track conditions which would have to be damn good with a 6-7k launch, and driving which would need to be pretty spot on.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Granted, yes they have modded suspensions, but all else being equal, it is NOT impossible as many (on BOTH sides) seem to think HAS TO BE the case.
Depends. I think we all remember the test at Willow Springs where the good straits let an SS run within a second or two of an S2K. Both bone stock and well driven on the same day.

IMHO where a car like the S2000 shines is more where the surface is not very perfect. On a nicely banked corner a live axle will actually do OK. Its the bumpy off-camber stuff that give IRS a big advantage.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Depends. I think we all remember the test at Willow Springs where the good straits let an SS run within a second or two of an S2K. Both bone stock and well driven on the same day.

IMHO where a car like the S2000 shines is more where the surface is not very perfect. On a nicely banked corner a live axle will actually do OK. Its the bumpy off-camber stuff that give IRS a big advantage.
WOW!!! We actually agree on something!
Will miracles never cease??
Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by rocksws6
See now we're talking. Isn't that nice. I don't know much about s2000's most of what I know I have read. I've drove my mom and dads and it doesn't feel fast at all. I think theirs is an 03 if I'm not mistakin, but I don't think it would run 13's. Maybe with a 50 mph tailwind and a downhill track. J/K but maybe the newer ones are faster or maybe it just doesn't feel fast, IDK. But I don't think most could get their s2k's into the 13's either due to the track and track conditions which would have to be damn good with a 6-7k launch, and driving which would need to be pretty spot on.
Yeah, exactly. Most people with S2000s either don't care what it runs at the track (ie; my mom), or don't want to go and have their clutch hate them, or go to the track and drive half-assed because they're afraid to launch it right. I'd love to take mom's '03 to the track and see if I can get into the 13s, but it would definitely need a new clutch first (or DEFINITELY afterwards ). But I don't want to take her car to the track without telling her (cuz there's no way she'd let me take it) and then have her **** break on the starting line
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, exactly. Most people with S2000s either don't care what it runs at the track (ie; my mom), or don't want to go and have their clutch hate them, or go to the track and drive half-assed because they're afraid to launch it right. I'd love to take mom's '03 to the track and see if I can get into the 13s, but it would definitely need a new clutch first (or DEFINITELY afterwards ). But I don't want to take her car to the track without telling her (cuz there's no way she'd let me take it) and then have her **** break on the starting line
Mommy won't let you take her s2k to the track? Keep dreamin on the running in the 13's with your gt or your moms s2k.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs S2000