Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a "10 second" ricer ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Raced a "10 second" ricer ...

"Nope, I told you, this isn't a movie, your car is probably running 14's at best ...

That's classic
Old 07-31-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

xphantomws6x
I was responding in agreement with camaro kid
Old 07-31-2003, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

I originally posted this a week or so ago on LS1.com, and the guys over there got a kick out of it, so I'll share it with you guys also.

-------------------------------------------------------

I had just dropped my girlfriend off at her house after seeing Terminator 3 (great movie btw) last night around 1am.
Cruising down a small 2 lane highway with my windows open and the radio blasting I hear that familar ricepowered engine whine ...
As he slowly passes by I hear that cool turbo "psshhh" sound. He slows down and paces me (doing approximately 40mph or so). I see him trying to talk to me so I turn down my radio ... Its a completely riced out blue civic hatch, huge wing, some sort of design on the side, 25" chrome rims (exaggerated hehe), blue neons on the inside .....

him: "You really think you can handle me? I run 10 Second quarters"

me: "Your the one thats pacing me ... "

him: "well you think you can keep up or what?"

me: "This isn't the fast and the furious buddy, this is real life ... you better have a jet engine or somethin in there"

him: "lets go"

I give him a hand signal like "whenever your ready ..."

He nods and steps on it. I hear the "reeeeeaaarrrrr" sound and watch black smoke coming from his exaust as his turbo spools and he starts to walk away. I give him another second or so before I step on it ...

As soon as I do I instantly make up the 2 or 3 car lead that he has, then fly by him like Maverick doing a tower fly-by in TopGun. It was best said in treynors words "It looked like he slammed his car into reverse when I stepped on the gas"

After I slow down he pulls up next to me and is like "wow that things a beast, whats that badboy runnin, BRAH?"

Me: "probably low 12's in this form .... I have nitrous too, but its sitting at home."

Him: "no way, you gota nawwwss in that thing? oh SIT! that things gotta be in the 9's."

Me: "Nope, I told you, this isn't a movie, your car is probably running 14's at best .... BRAH "

I know its not much competition, but sometimes I get more satisfaction on beating a stupid ricer, then I do beating any 'real' cars.

I think he got the 1/8 & 1/4 mixed up

Brah huh, was he a Hawaii guy, those guys crack me up.

Good kill
Old 07-31-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Raced a

10 second 1/4 mile times are easy going down the Interstate highway,I bet that ricer gets 25 MPG while he does it.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:51 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xphantomws6x
I was responding in agreement with camaro kid
Ah, I understand now. I couldn't figure out where that came from at first.

I think he got the 1/8 & 1/4 mixed up

Brah huh, was he a Hawaii guy, those guys crack me up.

Good kill

You really didn't have to quote the whole story! ROTFL

He was a skinny white guy with a sidewards baseball cap if I remember right. Probably goin for the Paul Walker look, I guess he figured if he drove the same type of car, and looked the same, his car would go faster? Maybe they figured out that stickers don't actually add horsepower, so they're looking for other ways?

25PSI, whata you think?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

He was a skinny white guy with a sidewards baseball cap if I remember right. Probably goin for the Paul Walker look, I guess he figured if he drove the same type of car, and looked the same, his car would go faster? Maybe they figured out that stickers don't actually add horsepower, so they're looking for other ways?

25PSI, whata you think?

Don't distract him he's trying to get that MR2 running so we can see some track times.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well is should hit the dyno this up coming week. I took a trip to CXI this week, and had a talk with Phil while my friend was tuning another car. So everything is on the up and up. Everyting is installed including the A2W setup I am dying to run.

Has anyone ever been up there? There was a sick looking 700zx up there(300zx w/ls1 supercharger). So where talking about setting it up once my car is dynoed.

Last year my car made 464 on stock internals including a stock head. This time we think I should hit 650 plus on race gas at 24 psi of boost(low) and 700 with 30(high).

If anyone would like to come feel free to. There going to be me,supra(single t88), and a Z06 with a 75 shot being tuned.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:28 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, good luck man, let us know how things turn out.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Man, I hate that damn Fast & the Furious movie. Remember when NOS was a brand, and not the term for nitrous. I have raced a Turbo Civic, and it is not a hard kill at all. I must say that unless the car has been highly modified for track use only then it will not be a real problem. The key is look for the number of seats. That being said race rice at will they are not a problem on the street, but if they have the ***** to make it to the track, then they might be tougher.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well is should hit the dyno this up coming week. I took a trip to CXI this week, and had a talk with Phil while my friend was tuning another car. So everything is on the up and up. Everyting is installed including the A2W setup I am dying to run.

Has anyone ever been up there? There was a sick looking 700zx up there(300zx w/ls1 supercharger). So where talking about setting it up once my car is dynoed.

Last year my car made 464 on stock internals including a stock head. This time we think I should hit 650 plus on race gas at 24 psi of boost(low) and 700 with 30(high).

If anyone would like to come feel free to. There going to be me,supra(single t88), and a Z06 with a 75 shot being tuned.
Sounds like a nice setup. Good luck I definitely want to hear the times when you get them.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

my boys stock (except 4 the K/N filter) 93 SHO took on a totally riced out talon, the guy said he dropped 5 g notes in the bitch, and still barely stayed ahead of a taurus with a KN and cherry bombs... y do they waste their money.
not slammin on u guys, but i dont c y ppl like roddin out new stuff, u know, y spend 25 gs on a brand new camaro or mustang, when u can get an old muscle car with a big block where if you put in the same amount of money it will b a lot faster, and you still didnt have the initial 25g output. thats a LOT of races to win to get that back. i have nothing but respect 4 yall, unless some of u r closet riceboys... i just cant justify sepending the extra money when an older car will also just continue to appreciate.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would but I appreciate it too much perhaps. I'm in college right now and couldn't stand to see my baby take some parking lot damage cause some drunk dorm kids decide to tear through the lot I'm parked at. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I had a rebuilt 70 chevelle, then had to watch it get ran into because the youth of today think college is all about the parties. I also couldn't imagine driving a carbed big block 1000 miles a week back and forth from school. Especially here in the summer, the temperature here right now is 110 degrees outside. No fun here without a/c.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:41 AM

69velle .... 2 reasons

1) reliability. My cars main purpose is to get me to and from work and school. getting there faster is just a hobby.

2) looks. There are very few old muscle cars that I like the looks of better then my current car. (chevelle, boss 302/mach1, and chargers, being the exception to the rule).
Old 08-03-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

u hit the reliablity issue on the head there. when i bought this car, it was showin 93k on the clock, but blew the original 396 in 1970, and the original owner put a 1970 factory replacement motor in it. so im betting its got like 85k on the motor. anyway, the 1st time i went 4 a ride in it b4 i bought it, i went about an eighth of a mile and it just died, starter wire from the fender mounted solenoid smoked and the started fried. popped the hood and saw a shitload of smoke runnin from beneath the header.
also the economy issue, yeah, she get 10 mpg on premium, but what kinda mileage u guys get with ur blowers and nitrous and **** on there? and dont even TRY tellin me u use anything less than premium, prolly with a lil turboi blue mixed in...
however, i totally disagree with u on te looks issue, but thats a matter of personal opinion. originally i wante a 96 Impala SS, but i saw this velle for 5k as an investment. so yeah
Old 08-03-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

also the economy issue, yeah, she get 10 mpg on premium, but what kinda mileage u guys get with ur blowers and nitrous and **** on there? and dont even TRY tellin me u use anything less than premium, prolly with a lil turboi blue mixed in...
however, i totally disagree with u on te looks issue, but thats a matter of personal opinion. originally i wante a 96 Impala SS, but i saw this velle for 5k as an investment. so yeah
69velleSS,

See, that's the difference in fuel economy between the old BB Chevy's and the new generation of GM's EFI V8's..... they can make 500+HP at the crank with just boltons, ported factory heads and an aftermarket cam while still maintaining 25MPG on the highway and probably upper teens in the city. If you put a 100 shot on that car with a decent suspension setup it's a possible 10 second car that's reliable enough to drive every day. Throw in the solid reliability and comfort of a new car (auto leather seats, cold AC, PS, PB, PL, PW, CD etc.) and maybe you can see why someone would mod these cars. Not to mention I think the WS6 is a mean sexy lookin car that can hold up looks wise with many of the late 60's early 70's muscle machines.

I love old muscle cars, but I got my WS6 because I could actually get a bank loan for it. Ever try getting a $15,000 car loan for a 69 Z28? Probably not gonna happen most likely from a bank. Especially at a low APR.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

See, that's the difference in fuel economy between the old BB Chevy's and the new generation of GM's EFI V8's..... they can make 500+HP at the crank with just boltons, ported factory heads and an aftermarket cam while still maintaining 25MPG on the highway and probably upper teens in the city. If you put a 100 shot on that car with a decent suspension setup it's a possible 10 second car that's reliable enough to drive every day. Throw in the solid reliability and comfort of a new car (auto leather seats, cold AC, PS, PB, PL, PW, CD etc.) and maybe you can see why someone would mod these cars. Not to mention I think the WS6 is a mean sexy lookin car that can hold up looks wise with many of the late 60's early 70's muscle machines.
I usually get about 10-13 mpg in my LT1
Old 08-03-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, but there are cars that are faster then the 69 Z that are faster to, u just gotta find a deal.
69 Chevelle SS Options, PS, PB, no AC, No PW/PDL yeah...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, but there are cars that are faster then the 69 Z that are faster to, u just gotta find a deal.
69 Chevelle SS Options, PS, PB, no AC, No PW/PDL yeah...

1969 camaro L88/ZL1 will tear any stock velle to shreads (if you can find one)... I'd love to own an LS6 71-72 Chevelle... one of my dream cars.

My dream car- 2000 Camaro ZL-1 572 concept... drool...
Old 08-03-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, but my velle is NOT gonna stay stock for long. i think that with about 500 rwhp, ill b able 2 run reeeeeaaaaaaaaallll good
Old 08-03-2003, 11:19 PM

I personally get around 23 mph highway, 17 city.

Now, if I am in a "lead foot" mood for a day or two between fill ups, that number drops right down to like 18 highway, 10 city. Using nitrous however doesn't really affect your mph as much as say a blower or cam, since its not on all the time.

And of course premium gas, anyone that used anything less is just asking for it with these cars.