Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

turbo'd pontiac sunfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo'd pontiac sunfire

I was driving down I20 last night just mindin' my own buisness when I see this slammed little blue car coming up fast behind me weavin' through everybody. SO I open my cutout and wait for him to get close and punch it right as he is at my passenger side door so that it would deafin' him..... and there happen to not be anyone in front of us for a couple hundred feet (which is very odd for friday afternoon traffic) he stayed dead even with me for a sec. but then once I got my big butt moving I pulled him pretty good, probably about 2 car lengths.

we started at 70, he stayed with me till about 90ish and then I pulled him good up to almost 120 when I let off and had to get on the brakes a little. then of course he flys by no wave of the hand or anything.

It sounded good and I could actually hear the blow off valve when shifted over my exhaust.. so it must have been boosted a good bit.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

There's a guy at our local track that owns a Sunfire with a 3.4 V6 transplanted from a Montana and a custom turbo he fabbed up himself - little beast runs mid 12's at 113mph on DR's! He has trouble keeping transmissions in it though *L*.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think if the one I raced were running mid 12s he should have beaten me by a little.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillWS6Formula
There's a guy at our local track that owns a Sunfire with a 3.4 V6 transplanted from a Montana and a custom turbo he fabbed up himself - little beast runs mid 12's at 113mph on DR's! He has trouble keeping transmissions in it though *L*.
That's a nice car man. What made you decide to get one of those after a F-bod? That's kind of a big transistion. Sweet ride though, those Merc's will move out there's no doubt about that.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rocksws6
That's a nice car man. What made you decide to get one of those after a F-bod? That's kind of a big transistion. Sweet ride though, those Merc's will move out there's no doubt about that.
Thanks! After the Formula I decided I wanted something new, convertible, rwd, but still with a healthy V8 up front. Got burned trying to get in on the feeding frenzy for a new GT500, fugged that, and looked at the C6 and the AMG. The AMG was cheaper (new Vette pricing in Canada is nuts!) and it fit the bill, along with just flat out feeling "right" to drive, so went with it. It's the most domestic-like German car I've driven - stuff a big V8 in a small car and go have fun *L*. The rest is history .

Originally Posted by joshua022
I think if the one I raced were running mid 12s he should have beaten me by a little.
Didn't mean to sugges he was, just shootin' the $hit along the lines you never know what you're going to run into out there sometimes, especially when you least expect it.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Hm..I don't think I'd bother to mod a sunfire personally, but I guess every car has its devoted modders.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Good kill! Always nice to see something different. There was a guy around here that home build a turbo kit for his Cavalier. Never got any numbers for it, and I don't think it was very fast, but it was different which is col in my book.