Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My first actual race and kill. TA vs. GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My first actual race and kill. TA vs. GT

Summary:
Me vs. a new mustang gt convertible. On the side it had GT / CS??
Maybe a mustang guy can tell me what the CS is... convertible sport?? Or maybe it wasn't CS and was something else but it was GT / ??

Dig to 80mph or so.
I won by a couple car lengths.

Story:
It was a nice day out today and I was just out cruising on a two lane highway when I see this new mustang gt passing people behind me like crazy. I had the cruise set about 62 in a 55 and he kept running up on my bumper and then letting off. Eventually he flashed me and I pulled off on a side country road, and he pulled up and we started chatting. He was wondering if I was the guy that drove by his house and turned around and went past again or something, and I was like no. So I casually asked him what he had done to it, and he replied stock, and asked me the same. I told him the mods in my signature and he said my car sounded good, and asked if I wanted to run from a dig to a tree down the road, and I replied sure. He told me to honk it off, so I did, and actually he took off just a little before me, but I quickly pulled a car or two, and by about 80 when we shut down I had 3-4 cars on him. He pulled up beside me and said thanks for showing me up, and his wife smiled and we parted ways. Nice fun run!

I was really happy to get my first race under my belt, and that adrenaline rush is something else. I love it! I actually figured he would dig out of the hole a little better than I would, but I hooked nicely and away I went.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Nice kill.
GT/CS= GT Cali special, basically a sticker and a body kit and a different color interior.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah thanks man, I was gonna say that his car looked just a little different than the other new GTs i've seen.

btw his car was an auto as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Good kill.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I need to drive one of these gts and see what the hold up is or can somebody tell me? Is it just the weight or do the 3v suck? The one I rode in seemed pretty quick. I've only heard one story of one actually winning
Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

He told me his car weighed a little over 3600lbs + him + wife... but she was a tiny little thing
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
I need to drive one of these gts and see what the hold up is or can somebody tell me? Is it just the weight or do the 3v suck? The one I rode in seemed pretty quick. I've only heard one story of one actually winning
The cars barely weigh more than a 4th gen Fbody, they're just underpowered. 300 crank HP, 270-285rwhp. Perform really well for what power they do have though
Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Mustangs are slow. Good race,and kill though.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sslateron
Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty slow as well though.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Nice kill, especially showing up a fellow with his gal.

They're decent cars, but are in desperate need of a few bolt-ons, and tune. Their Spanish Oak computers plague the drive by wire with torque management.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Lol your Lt1 stock was a 14 sec car a stock 3v would give you a good race stock for stock if not drag you. I have owned 2 Lt1s 6 speed and a-4 323 gear option cai blow master exhaust. My best in the 6 speed 13.70 at 101,and the auto went 13.50s one time cold *** f--ck with race gas at 102. My 07 slow stang went 13.70 bone stock at 98 mph lol! in 89 degree weather with a full tank of gas.Just with the tune exhaust cai 13.1 at 105.98 it's an auto with 331's.Got tired of replacing the opti every time it rained.So to answer your question the stock tune in the 3v sucks.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Lol your Lt1 stock was a 14 sec car a stock 3v would give you a good race stock for stock if not drag you. I have owned 2 Lt1s 6 speed and a-4 323 gear option cai blow master exhaust. My best in the 6 speed 13.70 at 101,and the auto went 13.50s one time cold *** f--ck with race gas at 102. My 07 slow stang went 13.70 bone stock at 98 mph lol! in 89 degree weather with a full tank of gas.Just with the tune exhaust cai 13.1 at 105.98 it's an auto with 331's.Got tired of replacing the opti every time it rained.So to answer your question the stock tune in the 3v sucks.
yeah but you are comparing a new car to one that is made over ten years ago. Compare it to the 97 and below stangs and he still comes out on top. He is just wondering what up with ford gt mustang still weaker stock than most cars in its class (whatever is left of it). Hopefully the new challanger and the camaro will help the blue oval to step it up, the good news is the new gt's will come with 400 to the crank lets hope the weight isn't to bad. The bad news it will still probably be slower that it rivals. Thank god for steeda, shelby gt500, saleen3 (forgot model sn number), rouch3, and the dozen other specialty ones (minus the cs, shelby gt-r, and bullit etc... because they are gt dress ups), ah i give up and am tired. Don't get me wrong, I like the new gt's since they came out, love the looks, its the performance that annoyed me. Never met a stock gt that I could not walk hard. In the words of Carroll Shelby himself "the Mustang was a nurses car before I got my hands on them"

but good to know its the tune that holds them back, I was wondering the same thing.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sslateron
yea i hear some around my town every now and then... they say "cobra" on the back, i thought they were supposed to be fast.... but sounded like they were about to fall apart.. heard some damn whine coming from the engine....

anywho.... had a dude with a 06 gt with exhaust thinking he was going to skull **** me... mods in sig, that should be enough... you can make up the story however.. it all ends the same..

good first run man.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Launching!

Well I didn't mean it to come out that way,but the Camaro is non production until 2010,I was just answering his question point blank.As far as the new gt being the slowest in its class with just a 450 dollar tune deep in the 13's after 2002 PRE 2007.Can chevy or dodge offer any other vehicle peRiod in the same price range that can run 13's ?With the mods in your sig I would give you a run for your money.
Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
yeah but you are comparing a new car to one that is made over ten years ago. Compare it to the 97 and below stangs and he still comes out on top. He is just wondering what up with ford gt mustang still weaker stock than most cars in its class (whatever is left of it). Hopefully the new challanger and the camaro will help the blue oval to step it up, the good news is the new gt's will come with 400 to the crank lets hope the weight isn't to bad. The bad news it will still probably be slower that it rivals. Thank god for steeda, shelby gt500, saleen3 (forgot model sn number), rouch3, and the dozen other specialty ones (minus the cs, shelby gt-r, and bullit etc... because they are gt dress ups), ah i give up and am tired. Don't get me wrong, I like the new gt's since they came out, love the looks, its the performance that annoyed me. Never met a stock gt that I could not walk hard. In the words of Carroll Shelby himself "the Mustang was a nurses car before I got my hands on them"

but good to know its the tune that holds them back, I was wondering the same thing.

Last edited by kennyxg; 06-01-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I didn't mean it to come out that way,but the Camaro is non production until 2010,I was just answering his question point blank.As far as the new gt being the slowest in its class with just a 450 dollar tune deep in the 13's after 2002 PRE 2007.Can chevy or dodge offer any other vehicle peRiod in the same price range that can run 13's ?With the mods in your sig I would give you a run for your money.
honestly, i dont give any of the new "muscle cars" too much respect.. your taking **factory ratings** of 350-450 and running low to high 13s.... thats sad.. its just sad cars in 1998 are still beating cars they are currently producing...

***not really picking on mustangs, just using as an example because i read this just today and remember most of the stats...***

long sotry short, read the the mustang gt kr 500 (or w/e the hell it is) its like a 75k dollar car and is running 12.4 @ 114... and the the gt 500 is running 12.6 @ 111.... and thats not the best part... the kr or whatever had 550 or some HP.. and the gt500 is at like 500 or something <<< if i remember correctly... even if it has 450.. thats still pretty embarresing...

again, im not picking on stangs, its the first thing that came to mind because i read it today.... even GTOs have ls based series in them and the camaro and trans ams give the ls2s a run for their money...

i think its just pitiful, seems were going down hill.. haha
Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lemons12
honestly, i dont give any of the new "muscle cars" too much respect.. your taking **factory ratings** of 350-450 and running low to high 13s.... thats sad.. its just sad cars in 1998 are still beating cars they are currently producing...

***not really picking on mustangs, just using as an example because i read this just today and remember most of the stats...***

long sotry short, read the the mustang gt kr 500 (or w/e the hell it is) its like a 75k dollar car and is running 12.4 @ 114... and the the gt 500 is running 12.6 @ 111.... and thats not the best part... the kr or whatever had 550 or some HP.. and the gt500 is at like 500 or something <<< if i remember correctly... even if it has 450.. thats still pretty embarresing...

again, im not picking on stangs, its the first thing that came to mind because i read it today.... even GTOs have ls based series in them and the camaro and trans ams give the ls2s a run for their money...

i think its just pitiful, seems were going down hill.. haha
Whats even more pathetic, I know which article you were talking about. MT drivers suck.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it would be a nice race, but the outcome will still be you behind. with just my 200 dollars worth of mods my car gave me a nice 12.89 and a constant 13.1 and 13.2 when stock. I love my a4. Got a friend with a mustang, no tune just headers with straight pipes, cai, kdw's and a new throttle body and its still me passing by waving at him from my car as a I walk hard. But thanks for the info I will definetly push him on getting that tune, but I will add that they still sound great.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Whats even more pathetic, I know which article you were talking about. MT drivers suck.
+1, A lot of Magazine automotive journalist drivers do suck. Some don't even push the car to it's limits off the line or they test for 1/4 mile on a test rack instead of down an actual strip. I stay away from motortrend and most of those magazines. They're usually wrong about future cars anyway, which is all I used them for to begin with.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

12.89 is strong for the mods you have,I'm sure I could meet that time with steeper gears but I'm sticking with the 331's gas is too much now days Lol!! If he gets the gears in addition to the tune he should be high 12's as well.
Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
yeah it would be a nice race, but the outcome will still be you behind. with just my 200 dollars worth of mods my car gave me a nice 12.89 and a constant 13.1 and 13.2 when stock. I love my a4. Got a friend with a mustang, no tune just headers with straight pipes, cai, kdw's and a new throttle body and its still me passing by waving at him from my car as a I walk hard. But thanks for the info I will definetly push him on getting that tune, but I will add that they still sound great.