Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

"Just a little LS1"

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 02:00 PM
Launching!

Default "Just a little LS1"

Alritey well i've never been one to post in this section but after last nite i think i kinda have to...

Me and my buddy are cruisin down 518 last nite probably around 10:30 and i decided to stop at the chevron near 45 to grab a couple drinks. Well as i'm pulling in I see (what looked like to be) 2 cobras parked at the gas pumps. I drive right passed them and notice that the red one (98) has his hood popped and the driver and 2 of his buddy's are all surrounding his car. I park and my buddy goes in and gets the drinks and I notice the entire time these guys are checking out my car...no big deal I'm kinda getting used to it these past 4 months since i got it. My friend hops in and I'm pulling out and by the way I had parked I had to drive right by these guys. One of the guys shouts out "you wanna run it?!" So I stop and they all come up to my window and I ask them what all they've got done. I immediately notice the 98 had the nitrous lines running through his intake. The guy with the black "cobra" is kind of looking at my car with the "this ain't ****" type of look and he asks me if i have a blower? Of course I tell him no and immediately he says "let's run it for 40 bucks." I tell him no thanks i'll do it for fun and he asks over and over again getting the same answer from me every time. Now by this time I just wanted to burn out but then this guy says "yea it's just a little ls1 i've got me a little 98 t/a at the house." By this time he kinda stepped over the line so I tell him let's take it to 45 for fun. He agrees so we all roll out of the chevron and head north. Now I've been called out before (like a few weeks back when I ran one of the guys outta the 5.0 crew that called me out. They're all supercharged/H/C/gutted and one of the guys has the nerve to tell me "shut it down" on me at 100 when he maybe had me by a half a car..neways i dont even want to go there lol) but as I was hopping on 45 I'm not going to lie I kind of was a little sketchy about these guys.. they just sounded a little too confident. Anyways, we all line it up and out of 1st from about a 20 roll we hit it on the 3rd honk. By the time i threw it into 3rd I had the black one by about 4/5 cars and the red one by about 2. I get up to about 120 and "shut it down" and notice that now theres really no point to keep going. By the way they came back up on me I guess they wanted some more so we all run it again a couple times with the same results. I follow the red one to a parking lot near the mall and I notice his car is smoking baddd out of the hood...I could smell the antifreeze now that we ran it. I pull up next to him and he says "I think I blew a head gasket man." We talk for a couple min and I ask him what all he's done. "Full bolt-on's, 50 shot" I ask him what happend to his buddy and he says he doesn't know him which I found a little weird because they all had "Lincoln/Mercury shop clothes" on. "That thing can move man..what all you got done?" he says. "H/C..full bolt-ons..that's it," I reply. Well I burn out of there wishing him the best with his car and as I'm cruising down the feeder I notice the black "cobra" waiting for me at the hooters parking lot. And of course he revs at me when I pass him so i figured I'd give him the business one last time. We pull up to the light on 45/518 and he yells out to me "go on green." We were both the front in the front at the light and as soon as it turned green we both hit it and I'm not even joking even though I spun all the way through 1st, I must have had the guy by a bus...or two lol . I jump on 45 and he pulls up next to me and drops it AGAIN. I was a little fishy about all the times I raced him because never once did I hear the supercharger and I thought to myself either this guy didnt have a clue how to drive or it wasn't a real cobra. "That's not a real cobra is it?!" I yell out to the guy and his buddy's answers for him "no it's a GT with all the badges." Now I've seen many of these GT's that try to make their cars look like a cobras but let me tell you this guy went all out because he had me fooled. "Just a little LS1 huh!?" I yell out to the driver and he smiles and hits it. I give him a couple cars and hit it and pass him like he was stopped.

I should have took him up on the his offer of 40 bucks...it MAYBE would have gave me a half a tank or so!
Old 06-21-2008 | 02:07 PM
***Repost Police***

GT + Cobra badges = EPIC FAIL... good kills
Old 06-21-2008 | 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's the equivalent of an FRC owner throwing on Zo6 405 hp badges. LOL. Good kill.
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill.
One of my Mustang buddies has an '03 GT with a couple bolt ons, and Cobra Badges/Body kits, and true duals dumping under the wheels. It looks nice and all... but really? is it worth it? lol.
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:29 PM
On The Tree

nice race, good kill always to make someone look stupid for making their car to be something its not
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That's the equivalent of an FRC owner throwing on Zo6 405 hp badges. LOL. Good kill.
I once saw a regular automatic LT1 C4 with ZR1 badges and I was THIS close to pulling up next to him (older guy) and asking why he ricer-badged his car... but I held my tongue.
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:57 PM

Good kill. Personally, I have nothing against well done clone cars (SS and Ws6 clones, etc.), but there should definitely be some real performance there also. A bolt-on 2V 4.6 GT does not do the Cobra name justice by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 06-21-2008 | 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

good kill and good story...
Old 06-21-2008 | 06:47 PM
Launching!

I got no stinking badges
Old 06-21-2008 | 07:53 PM
Teching In

I'm not a fan of people badging up their cars. It's one thing to try to clone a car and make the performance mods and the cosmetic mods, but to just do cosmetic is a downer.

I spotted a 528 BMW 2 weeks ago that had put an M5 badge on the back. Had not done any other mods. He had an M license plate bracket and a BMW club license plate.
Old 06-21-2008 | 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
I got no stinking badges
Me either. zo6 badging on an FRC is lame. I have seen a few people do it. One admitted to it, and the other one tried to BS me and he all of a sudden didn't want to talk about his car anymore. I laughed to hard on busting his *****. He goes to my gym too and said my FRC (490 rwhp 445 rwtq) couldn't hang with his c5 zo6 Yea right LOL
Old 06-21-2008 | 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have pictures of a mustang GT-R LOL seriously the guys had bought one of those GTr badges form AutoZone and placed it where the Normal GT badge would be all the was around the car.

i even approached them and said hey yall know tha car is just a normal GT right. they looked crushed afterwards
Old 06-21-2008 | 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good kill on the Fobra.
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:31 AM
Launching!

Me either. zo6 badging on an FRC is lame. I have seen a few people do it. One admitted to it, and the other one tried to BS me and he all of a sudden didn't want to talk about his car anymore. I laughed to hard on busting his *****. He goes to my gym too and said my FRC (490 rwhp 445 rwtq) couldn't hang with his c5 zo6 Yea right LOL
Hell half of them wonders what FRC means........FastRedCorvette.
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Paragraphs, man.

But good story and great kill. Too bad to hear about the blown head gasket; that sucks for that guy. What heads and cam do you have?
Old 06-22-2008 | 11:20 AM
On The Tree

haha good kills man.. unfortunately there are alot of tools around my way that do **** like that
Old 06-22-2008 | 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

I pity da foos! Way to learn them boys what a little LS1 can do

A few months back I was picking on a Mustang that looked identical to a 1999-2000 Cobra, from badges to bumpers, but turned out to be a V6. There's a couple of those "special" V6 Cobras runnin' around here.
Old 07-04-2008 | 03:09 PM
On The Tree

the 99 01 cobras weren't supercharged so your not always gonna hear a whine.