Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mustang GT/CS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang GT/CS?

So turns out there is another type of Mustang I didn't know was out there. I swear Ford makes more Mustang variations than some companies make unique cars.

I was coming back from the grocery with a friend and a trunk full of food, so my 4 door was living up to its grocery getter role. Cruising down the left lane I cruise past a black Mustang 'Vert. As I'm going past I see "Mustang GT/CS" painted on the side. I got the typical GXP reaction. The guy ignores me until I'm past him by a few lengths and suddenly he notices my exhausts and V8 badge. All of sudden the Mustang goes from cruising sedately in the right lane to swerving into the left lane and screaming after me, gets right up on my ***, which is annoying since there is a SUV in front of me so I'm not exactly able to go WOT.

The big bad Mustang actually manages to **** up the merge when our lane ends, gets cut off hard by an Accent. Eventually he gets around it and comes screaming back up the left lane to catch up to me again. I move a lane to the right to give him a chance to line his mirrors up with mine, since we have open road in front of us. I've never even heard of a GT/CS so I'm hoping he'll give me a real race.

He goes for the flyby instead. I'm ready, sitting in third and punch the gas as his front bumper reachs my tail one. He's going faster and gets up to the point where my front bumper is level with his rear tire, then I start to walk back up. I can seem him watching me in his mirror, his mouth coming open as I walk up. I get our mirrors lined up, ease up on the pedal, look over at him, give him a big smile and then go WOT. He is just staring at my four and me like "WTF......". His mouth was half open and he was actually drifting over onto the far left shoulder because he was just staring at me in pure shock. His expression made my day. We were both doing 92 when I hit it. I take it up to 120 and he is gone. My passenger is looking out the rear window and saw him hit the rumble strip and swerve back hard so he ends up half in the left lane and half in the middle lane. The guy was so tripped out by a 4 door 'Prix walking him he almost ran off the road . I didn't see him go over but I did look in my mirror when my passenger started yelling and saw him kick up a cloud of dirt off the shoulder and oversteer.

I slowed it back down to give him an opening to line the mirrors up and run a real race, but he did another flyby. I let him go the second time. I decided not to play with him anymore since he might drift right next time, which would suck for me.

I just love the expression on people's faces when a 4 door dusts their Mustang.

According to Google the CS is just an appearance package for the GT, so I didn't beat anything special, which is a little sad but hey you take what you can get. The best thing I had before this 'Stang was a 240SX with a fart can revving at me.

Does anyone know if the CS had any little tweaks from Shelby under the hood or is Google correct and it was just an appearance package?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Teching In

It's just an appearance package. They get: Side scoops, front/rear bumper, fake gas cap that says "GT/CS", side stripe that says, you guessed it, "GT/CS", polished exhaust tips, and probably some interior stuff marked "GT/CS". Plus a few grand extra in markup. They've been making GT/CS's since the 60's, and charging people extra for them since then too.

Say what you want about Ford, but they know how to make an extra buck or two pumping out endless special editions.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MyStangIsSlow
It's just an appearance package. They get: Side scoops, front/rear bumper, fake gas cap that says "GT/CS", side stripe that says, you guessed it, "GT/CS", polished exhaust tips, and probably some interior stuff marked "GT/CS". Plus a few grand extra in markup. They've been making GT/CS's since the 60's, and charging people extra for them since then too.

Say what you want about Ford, but they know how to make an extra buck or two pumping out endless special editions.
x2

Also, CS=California Special
Old 10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Launching!

^^^^^^^ Agreed, kid who lives near me has one and thinks his **** doesn't stink...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

good kill, & yeaa it's just an appearance package. Nothing to special either
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM
***Repost Police***

Nothing too special performance-wise, but definitely easy on the eyes
Old 10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What is next for the Stang? The GTR-500/CS/Rouschcharged/Saleen/ Commemorative Edition GT V-6.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, CS=California Special[/QUOTE]

Yeah i heard it was called that. I also heard that it had extra emissions stuff on it for California. There is a maroon here in town, I've thought about messing with it but I can never catch it out. But anyway, OP, good job and keep on bein careful.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guy.

I wish the GT/CS had a little something extra under the hood. All it really seems like is the boy kit, as cool as it looks, adds extra drag and slows the car down!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There's one here in town with a hockey stripe/BOSS? on the side. It has CHI-TURBO on the spot where I guess it would say Boss. I think I've seen CHI-turbo was a hair product or something, maybe akin to nap-away?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ford has the marketing thing down pat, because who else can sell so many different versions of the same car and over 90% of them are somewhere in the vicinity of slow
Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they are doing pretty good then...the customers still buy them. even if they are "slow".
Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alot of people that buy mustangs dont know much about cars they just buy what they think looks good. Most of them have no idea what fast is, for example my bros friend has a 2001 mustang gt with cat back exhaust and intake, and he thinks he can beat me, I never even wasted my time. One day he let me drive it, the car was slow a ****, one thing it did have tho was it was pretty solid, no mysterious noises, and a really smooth motor. Another friend of mine has a 97 mustang with a cat back exhaust and intake and thinks he's pushing 300whp(probably closer to 210whp), he said if it was a stick he would beat me. There are guys that do know what they are talking about but you usually have to go to mustang meets to find them.

Edit: at least with my experiances

Last edited by carbonfiberbird; 10-06-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol...guy with the 97 knows nothing...he has a non pi motor. slow.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
lol...guy with the 97 knows nothing...he has a non pi motor. slow.
+1

and probably not even breaking 200 being an auto.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MyStangIsSlow

Ford is smart. People who buy ford mustangs like the GT/CS are just morons. They make that extra buck off retards who spend extra money on something like a "poney package" instead of going for the GT.... wow
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
Most of them have no idea what fast is...
So what do you think is fast? "Fast" is all relative. It's based on each
person's individual experiences. Fast to me is an 8 second street car
or a 6 second race car.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Ford is smart. People who buy ford mustangs like the GT/CS are just morons. They make that extra buck off retards who spend extra money on something like a "poney package" instead of going for the GT.... wow
The "Pony Package" actually upgrades the performance on the V6 somewhat. some of the GT's suspension components as well as the fogs in the grille.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
The "Pony Package" actually upgrades the performance on the V6 somewhat. some of the GT's suspension components as well as the fogs in the grille.
ya i just dont understand. i talked to a guy who paid 27k for a pony pack v6 mustang. it sound dumb to me cause my local dealer priced me a brand new gt for 23,544
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Um... WS6 was significantly more than the base Trans Am (as is the SS to the Z28), but people bought those. Are they morons too?