Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Failing brake master?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Failing brake master?

My brakes had some problems yesterday at an autocross. They felt fine for the brake test at tech, but after a high-speed slalom the pedal was very soft and it didn't have much stopping power at all, sometimes the pedal would go down far enough to depress the throttle. In staging I found that my engine sensor fuse blew again, and that's related to ABS but doesn't account for the soft pedal. I stole my horn fuse and it blew on the next run and had the same symptoms the rest of the day, only side effect was mowing the lawn once. Didn't see any fluid dripping from the calipers when swapping wheels, and the resevoir was still full. Pedal is hard when the motor is off. How do you know if the brake master has failed?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a fluid issue too. Make sure you aren't boiling your brake fluid and that it's clean. You might want to look into a better fluid as well.

Usually when a master fails, you get a spongy pedal, low pedal, or the pedal gradually drops after you step on it. Sometimes you can pump it, and it will build up a little more pressure.

I know I just described your sypmtoms, but for your application...check your fluid.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm using Super ATE blue, and the car sat two hours between arriving and the first heat. The pedal was soft on the very first braking application. I'm told a worn hub might cause this also.

Quick Reply: Failing brake master?