Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Hawk HPS Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Hawk HPS Review

There are always questions about them so I thought I would give my review. BTW, I do the occasional HPDE so I need good brake performance. When I first upgraded my brakes, I installed Powerslot rotors and Quietstop pads. This combo was scary when braking from high speeds! They would fade very quickly.

I changed the pads to Dura ceramics and ran them for a long time. Big improvement in fade resistance and very little dusting. Initial bite when cold was a little lacking though. My supplier quit stocking them (obscure brand) so it was time for a change.

I just installed HPS pads. I broke them in, ran them for a week, and then hit the track. The initial bite was good but I was worried about fade. I did another HPDE on Saturday and they performed great. I was abusing the brakes all day and no fading. I did have a lot of dust on the wheels when the day was over though. When the choice is dirty wheels or stopping, I would rather be able to stop. In short I am very satisfied with them.

On another note, this was all using the same Powerslot Rotors and I have been impressed with the way they held up. I am not saying you should use these rotors, just noting my experience. I also run DOT4 fluid. The brake system is stock otherwise and seems to be more than adequate for my needs.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I have my rotors and pads on the way.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

would you recommend the duralast ceramics for a DD car?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bobbyd
would you recommend the duralast ceramics for a DD car?
thats what i bought when i needed to replace the pads that where on the car when i bought it (dont know what brand they were) its scary even trying to stop from 120. it just dosent want to slow down. i bought some hawk hps from ws6store the other day, got them all ready and i should be installing them sunday.

Quick Reply: My Hawk HPS Review