Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pros/cons of LT1 brakes vs LS1 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003 | 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default pros/cons of LT1 brakes vs LS1 brakes?

i hear that LT1 brakes are much lighter than LS1 brakes but do they perform worse as well? are there any other advantages/disadvantages to converting to LT1 style brakes or is weight the only difference?
thanks in advance guys
Old 09-13-2003 | 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: pros/cons of LT1 brakes vs LS1 brakes?

I've never heard of anyone converting TO LT1 brakes. From LT1 to LS1, yes. But never the other way around. The LS1 rotors are bigger for one thing. And I think the calipers aren't as good as the LS1's (though the C5 ones are even better).
Old 09-14-2003 | 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I could probably find you a donor LT1 car for parts. I have a friend that wants the new brakes for his car. Hmmm.....
Old 09-15-2003 | 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

miner, i was looking on bogarts site and they say for 15" rims you should convert to LT1 style brakes to clear the rims and that they also shave some weight
Old 09-15-2003 | 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's just a drag setup to lose weight/gain clearance, sure, go with LT1 brakes.

If you want to drive on the street or on a autoX or road race course, LS1 brakes (or better).

Dope
Old 09-16-2003 | 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

miner, i was looking on bogarts site and they say for 15" rims you should convert to LT1 style brakes to clear the rims and that they also shave some weight
They say with 15" rims to use LT1 brakes becaues the ROTORS ARE BIGGER on ls1 brakes meaning they require a bigger rim than a LT1. For instance, to use the even larger C5 brakes, you need a 17" rim. Both as a appearance and performance issue, going smaller than a 16" rim isn't recommended unless this is a drag strip only car and not a daily driver or one that will never see very many curves. In my never humble opinion, having good brakes is more important than saving a few pounds. If you care more about saving weight than anything, you could remove the back brakes completely as the fronts do most of the work. Not that I would ever dare do that.

The LT1 brakes use a single caliper design with a smaller rotor. The LS1 brakes use a better 2 caliper design with a larger rotor (12"). The C5 brakes use a slightly better 2 caliper design that isn't as prone to spread under heat and uses a 13" rotor. This means in terms of performance of repeated braking (eg. track, autocross, mountain driving), all other things being equal, the larger rotors will be less prone to brake fade as the brakes heat up. Which means safer driving. Larger rotors do require larger rims. This means slightly more weight.

The only advantage of smaller rotors is less weight and can use smaller rims (saving alittle more weight). But brakes are more likely to suffer from brake fade from heavy use.
Old 09-16-2003 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

gocha. the weight is worth it.

Quick Reply: pros/cons of LT1 brakes vs LS1 brakes?