Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Your Opinions on Suspension Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Opinions on Suspension Setup!

Where should someone put their money if they want a F-body to handle? I personally haven't owned my Trans am for that long and have been looking at new stiffer springs to lower my center of gravity, new shocks and struts, and a shock tower brace. I know my vehicle came stock with sway bars and what advantages do aftermarket ones offer? My rims are a staggered set: 17 by 9.5in the front and 18 by 10.5in the rear. How low can I drop my vehicle and not worry about rubbing? Just bought my Trans am about 7 months ago and wanted to do some performance mods as I've been focusing on the visual aspects. Used to own a v6 mustang and any of the extensive modifications I did were nothing but an improvement on the cars shitty performance outta the box. F-body's however seem to be harder to modify and I don't wanna do frivolous non cost effective things. Would greatly appreciate your input knowledge about your experiences and setups as well as aftermarket brands you favor.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

• Koni shocks
  • Strano Springs
  • don't need a shock tower brace, they haven't been proven to do anything useful

Bigger sway bars will affect the balance of the car. Unless you're auto-xing or driving on a road course, the stock bars are fine. Good shocks are the single most important thing, so don't skimp here.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2kTAM6
...F-body's however seem to be harder to modify and I don't wanna do frivolous non cost effective things.
In addition to what Mojave listed, I'd say:

*replace the "fluted" bushings in your factory rear LCA's with "solid" rubber ones, like the ones offered by Moog chassis.

*replace rear panhard rod with an adjustible rear panhard rod. (If money, time, and skilled labour is available, then you may consider the Fays2 watts-link, but this is a mod that's quite expensive, so there's bigger fish to fry in the meantime).

*check brake fluid and if it's too old, replace with either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (but NOT DOT 5, because it will ruin your brake system).

*If your rotors are worn out, consider brembo blanks or Ate rotors.

*If your pads need replacement, Hawk HPS.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Hey, thanks guys! Appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Your Opinions on Suspension Setup!