Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

conflicting intrests

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default conflicting intrests

ok, so i have been stock piling parts, all for a drag setup, and i still hav afew of the big ones to go like the rear drag bar and the tourqe arm. i have an adj. panhard bar, lower control arms and a set of sub frames, hell i even bought a line lock, all in preperation for for my yank ss4000. this will end up being mainly a weekend/ drag car for fun. and while i do have some seriouse aspirations at the track, like 11s on stock internals. Anyway, i still have a desire to lower the car and buy a set of wider C5 Z06s for the rear, right now i have 18x9.5s all around. I dont use the z06 wheels on the track though, i use my snow flakes with MT ET streets on em. Anyway i was just curious as to how much lowering the car will hamper me at the track. I just want a better stance, i already did the hose mod but its not enough to give it a mean look. What are some options for a mild drop and is it a smart move anyway? Does it really hurt you that much at the track? Thanx fellas.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know little on this topic BUT I do know that if you're lowered then rellocation brackets are recommended.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You can't really quantify it. As long as the springs you choose isn't really low, or really stiff, the car should still leave well. But think about this for a second. When you lower a car with springs, the ride gets firmer and the car rolls less. Guess what--the same things happen with regard to weight transfer. The car becomes firmer and pitches less.

Is that a deal breaker? Not necessarily, but it is a factor. Ever notice drag springs are very tall and very soft?

The trick is to find the springs that won't hurt you. I think my springs would suit you well because of the rear rate and the height I use. While designed more for corner carving, the sport I do has elements of drag racing (ProSolo) in it, and I need to get power down in mid-2nd gear much like a drag car needs to power down from the start line. @ 150 lbs/in they are not overly stiff, but have to be firm enough to counter the amout of lowering. A stock spring is about 115 or so (they vary a bit), so mine are about 25% stiffer. A spring in the 170 range is another 15% or so, give or take stiffer yet.

And in the end Strano springs weigh less (about 10-15 less than most other sets) too.

Certainly not the only option, but a viable one and one that has street cars that do not have drag bars, front bars removed, etc. running consistant 1.6's on handling setups, not drag setups (Koni shocks and handling swaybars). As for the other options, well.... we carry other brands as well. Not everyone does so it behooves them to hype only their own stuff. I like my springs better, or I wouldn't have done them, but I can also tell you about others and where and where they aren't useful. Some springs SUCK. Some aren't so bad.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: conflicting intrests