Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rear brakes question

is there not supposed to be any movement at all in the rear brake calipers in relation to the abutment bracket, or is it supposed to have a small amount of play?

i've been getting a wobbling sound/feel from the rear passenger side under light/moderate braking (such as when stopping normally), but when i wait longer to brake and need to brake harder to come to a stop in time, it doesn't wobble as much or at all.

i removed the rear wheels and compared the calipers and how much movement they have (side-to-side, not front-to-back), and the rear pass. side has a bit more movement (by hand) than the driver's side. i checked the bolts holding the calipers on, and cranked on them as hard as i could, and they didn't turn at all....they're still tight as hell.

am i going to need to replace the calipers, or is it possible that just the pads themselves are getting thinner and need to be replaced? i checked the pads also, and they have between 1/8" to 3/16" of pad material left on them, and they don't squeal at all, so i think they still have some life left in them.

any ideas?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car vibrate at all when your braking, does the steering wheel vibrate???
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the entire car vibrates when it happens....but like i said, it only happens on light/moderate braking. if i wait until i'm almost at the point where i need to stop at, then slam on the brakes hard, it usually doesn't do it.

it's definitely the rear brakes, i don't feel direct vibration through the steering wheel, just the vibration from the rear passing through the body and to the steering wheel....in other words, the steering wheel doesn't rock side to side like it does when the tie rods are loose or something.....
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i may actually be experiencing the same problem, im keeping an eye on this thread
Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Rotor might be slightly warped or you could have some rust build up behind it. Could be time for a caliper rebuild.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be that the caliper is warped a little and pushes the pads apart when it goes over the warped area(s). So with the pads pushed apart there is a little more side to side play. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: rear brakes question