Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help Choosin a Torque Arm!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need Help Choosin a Torque Arm!

Alright well my stock torque arm broke before I got stationed in Italy and now need help buying a new torque arm. I'm new to suspension and don't know much about the differences about suspension. Whats the pros and cons of a adjustable and non-adjustable torque arm? Also which would be better to get one that attches to the stock location on the tranny or the tunnel brace? Any information would help me, want to hook up my suspension now that I'm under the car. Thanks for your info....

Another thing which one will work best for my exhaust set-up, QTPs into TSP true duals?

Last edited by kenny_hill33; 10-23-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: another question
Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Like anything you are likely to get widely varying opinions here. This is what I think:

Pro to an Adjustable TA is being able to set or reset pinion angle. A little more down angle can help the traction a touch more, and some cars due to lowering and other things like different rear axles end up with too much or too little angle which you can adjust with an adjustable arm. The only cons are they weigh just a touch more, and cost a bit more @$299.00
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=106&ModelID=7

Pro to a Non-adjustable arm is cost. Con is that you obviously can't tune the angle at all if you might need to at some point. $219.00
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=106&ModelID=7

As for attachments. Again, you will get all sorts of opinions on this. I'm personally not a fan to tunnel mount TA's simply because the floorpan was never designed to hold torque loads, it was designed to just hold the tunnel brace. If you want to use a tunnel mount TA, that's fine you pretty much (IMO) are required to have 3-point SFCs to distribute the TA load through the SFC's and not right into the floor. Also these transmit more vibration and noise since they are bolted right under you and pretty solid to the body via thin metal.
We carry all those as well from UMI, and there are different versions for different exhausts and the option of a driveshaft safety loop if you want it. You can see those here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...=106&ModelID=7

Now, if you want the TA off the transmission you have that option as well and can do it with a full length "transmission mounted" TA. Better, you can do it anytime you want by buying a TA Relocation bracket. In short, you could buy a full length TA as shown above either adjustable or not, and either move it to a new transmission crossmember (the TA Relocation bracket) right away, or wait to buy the bracket and run the TA on the tranny for a while if you want to break the parts into separate purchases. And the relocation kit puts the TA loads into a part of the unibody meant to take drivetrain loads (as it's where the transmission crossmember bolts in by GM's own design).

There are different TA Relocation kits for 6-speed vs. auto cars, and again for LT1 vs. LS1 cars. Below are links to the LS1 stuff.

6-speed LS1 version: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=106&ModelID=7

Automatic LS1 version: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=106&ModelID=7

Any non-tunnel mount TA and TA relocation bracket will work with your exhaust. It's harder to say with the tunnel mount stuff, and you'll see there actually different versions of those for different headers. The real trick is the duals and I don't think you'll find any sort of tunnel mount TA that will 100% guarantee they'll work with true duals. Maybe, but I'm not aware of one.

Does that help?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That explains it all! Thanks for the info that helped me out alot.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Sure thing.... glad I could be of assistance. If you need anything feel free to contact me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosin a Torque Arm!