Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tire rubbage after LCA relocation bracket installation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rubbage after LCA relocation bracket installation?

After installing LCA relocation brackets on the car recently, the right rear tire is rubbing over bumps in the road.

Has anyone else experienced this? That car has an Eibach Pro Kit w/ stock panhard, torque arm and control arms. I suppose the rear-end is not centered, but, how would simply installing LCA relocation brackets exploit this?

- Dustin
Old 10-25-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin AZ
After installing LCA relocation brackets on the car recently, the right rear tire is rubbing over bumps in the road.

Has anyone else experienced this? That car has an Eibach Pro Kit w/ stock panhard, torque arm and control arms. I suppose the rear-end is not centered, but, how would simply installing LCA relocation brackets exploit this?

- Dustin
what size tires?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Dustin AZ;10357139]....Has anyone else experienced this? That car has an Eibach Pro Kit w/ stock panhard, torque arm and control arms. I suppose the rear-end is not centered, but, how would simply installing LCA relocation brackets exploit this?

As "lemons12" said, tire size will have a bearing on this, but a better question would be this... Where is the tire rubbing the car? If it's on the right side, yes, it's probably because the ProKit springs lowered the car enough to offet the rear axle. An adjustable PHB will cure that.

However just the relocation brackets shouldn't have done this, unless they weren't 100% "square" when they were welded in place, and now the rear end is a bit skewed.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

For the LCA's anything not parallel to the ground will bring the axle forward in the wheel well. Same with the PHB, any suspesion travel that moves from the point where the bar is parallel then it will shift toward the passenger side.

Things like adjustable LCAs and PHB can help adjust the placement of the axle. That might be a bandaid for another problem though so make sure you don't have any other issues first. Just throwing that out there though.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the insight, all. Tire size is 275/40/17. I also forgot to mention the LCA relocation brackets are the UMI bolt-in style.

- Dustin
Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Weird i ran the same reloc brackets and Boxed LCA's and had no problem on 315's.

Might wanna try a different setting on the bracket if you have it adjusted all the way to the bottom hole. Is your car lowered?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Weird i ran the same reloc brackets and Boxed LCA's and had no problem on 315's.

Might wanna try a different setting on the bracket if you have it adjusted all the way to the bottom hole. Is your car lowered?
right, the tire size is def. not the problem..
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djsanchez2

The LCAs are bolted in the lowest setting. And, yes, the car is lowered!

- Dustin
Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

also check to see if the wheel is centered in the wheel well. adding LCA reloc brackets without adjusting the LCA will cause the wheel to move to the rear of the wheel well.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Should I just order aftermarket LCAs and panhard rod, then ditch the LCA re-location brackets? T

- Dustin
Old 10-28-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin AZ
Should I just order aftermarket LCAs and panhard rod, then ditch the LCA re-location brackets? T

- Dustin
yes, not saying that is def. gonna help.. but no reason not too... one more reason to mod!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt ditch the relo brackets, but lca's and a panhard rod will most likely help
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i wouldnt ditch the relo brackets, but lca's and a panhard rod will most likely help
He should be able to run relocation brackets though, especially since he's drag racing (I think..). There's no question that adjustable LCAs will solve the problem, though it's kind of wierd that he's getting rubbing. Oh well... everyone's car is different.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Before you go buying anything else...

To make sure the rear end has not shifted side to side because of lowering, take a plumb (string with weight on bottom) and hold it against the fender, just above the high point on the tire as shown in my photoshop pic. Then measure the distance from a point on the tire side wall to the hanging string and compare both sides (measuring from same point on tire)

If the measurement is less on the right side then you can correct this with an adjustable panhard rod. Other wise chances are the brackets were improperly installed (if it has shifted forwards or backwards in the well)

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, an adjustable panhard is a really good idea along with a new set of lca's. It sounds like your brackets are not installed correctly. Our brackets and i believe umi's also are drilled on an arc. If the brackets are installed correctly your wheel base should not change at all.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same setup with the bmr bolt ins but i have lakewood lca's(not my choice they where on it when i got it)
and hypercoil springs with 275 40's and it dont rub.
i would also think your rear is off center.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

You should start with an adjustable PHB (or a watts link if you really want to get fancy) so you can properly center the axle before you going crazy with other parts.

I carry UMI PHB's and LCA's, as well as the Fays2 Watts Link (better lateral location, axle doens't move in an arc like a PHB does). Basically I've got you covered, and we can solve this. You aren't running huge tires, I think just centering the axle will cure your ills. If you are inclined to do LCA's along with the PHB we have a few packages that combine them and get you a few bucks off.

From a handling standpoint the brackets might not be helping, but aren't causing this.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

LCA relocation brackets shouldn't change the location of the axle. What happens is that while the bracket lowers the LCA in relation to the axle, the bolt holes are now moved forward to compensate for the increased distance.

The tire will stay centered within the wheel well. I have 3 sets of rims with different tires, 215/60/16, 245/50/16, 315/35/17 and only the 315's rub along the inner drivers side. Despite being centered with relation to the car with the adjustable panhard bar, when the car turns hard, the design of the suspension pushes the whole car over towards the driver's side causing the rub.

If that's the same spot you are rubbing on or biased to one side only, then an adjustable panhard is needed. If the tires are rubbing both inside of the wheel well, then the axle is moved forward. Examine the relation of the tires with relation to the fenders to determine if the axle has moved forward.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

SladeX is on the money, as is Dennis. The holes in the bracket are drilled in an fashion so as NOT to move your axle location fore/aft vs. stock. Sometimes cars are off, which is why you have the option of adjustable control arms.

Again, your issue is very, very simple. It's your PHB length. It's too short because of the lowering and effectively pulls the body to the side vs. the axle.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You should start with an adjustable PHB (or a watts link if you really want to get fancy) so you can properly center the axle before you going crazy with other parts.
Originally Posted by allmotor
Before you go buying anything else...

To make sure the rear end has not shifted side to side because of lowering, take a plumb (string with weight on bottom) and hold it against the fender, just above the high point on the tire as shown in my photoshop pic. Then measure the distance from a point on the tire side wall to the hanging string and compare both sides (measuring from same point on tire)

If the measurement is less on the right side then you can correct this with an adjustable panhard rod. Other wise chances are the brackets were improperly installed (if it has shifted forwards or backwards in the well)

Selling him a PHR won't help at all unless he knows how to center it in the first place.

You should check the measurements like I said. More than likely you will need an adjustable PHR. Just go ahead and check first. Checking this will also familiarize yourself with how to get the rearend centered laterally once you do install an adjustable phr.

Quick Reply: Tire rubbage after LCA relocation bracket installation?